Acceptable temperature fluctuations for humidor

My house is a bit older and I have a hell of a time keeping it at a stable temperature. My typical fluctuations are between 65-69 degrees but it can be as wide as 60-70. My ideal solution is to get a new thermostat in there as I suspect that is the issue.

In the meantime, I'm curious to know...what is an acceptable fluctuation of temperature in a single day?

My house varies, in summer, from an overnight low of 20degC, to mid 30's in the day time. I rarely use air con.

Up until last year I'd always run my thermoelectric wine fridge that doubles as my humidor. It managed to keep the temp somewhere between 18deg C and to about 12 degC lower than the max outside temp.

I use 65% heartfelt beads to control the RH and they do a great job.

This year I've decided to chance my arm and leave the fridge off, as it used to run all the time in summer and i was worried it might dry the cigars out.

I've had no problems so far. I only buy cigars from FOH so I'm not worried about beetles.

In fact, until i bought my wine fridge 3 years ago, the 3 years prior i'd been keeping my stash in a desktop humidor with same temp fluctuations, with no beetle or moisture probs.

I'm not proclaiming to be an expert but it works for me!

Now that I think about it I really have no idea how the temperature fluctuation affects the cigars besides the beetle issue, would it affect the flavour/profile in long term?

As I'm sure pig and others will soon explain....temperature and Rh are negatively corelated and one without the other is fairly meaningless when it comes to cigar talk.

Run a search, 9 gabrillion threads already on this topic...

• Like 1

As stated, there are plenty of threads around the board with this data. To get to the point….

How many of you have any idea of what the conditions in your home or office is really like?

This is a data log of the CigarClimatology shop… To answer the OP directly, this is unacceptable!

post-79-0-80861700-1415822212_thumb.png

This is one of my humidors in the shop, same time frame. This is acceptable!

post-79-0-36816100-1415822230_thumb.png

More on the relationship of water, heat and tobacco if requested. -the Pig

• Like 2

Funny how when I am in a cigar making country that is in the tropics I just grab stuff that is laying around....and it smoke fine.

Yep the entire country is a humidor often times :)

Cigar sit out on the shelves in Cuba, open to the air...

Cigar sit in display cabinest under glass with nothing to condition them...

And in all the examples of grabbing one of these cigars I enjoyed it.

Regardless of time of day, temp or what the gauges read.

So what this taught me over the years is to relax a bit and as long as my sticks taste good to ME, then all is well in the world.

• Like 2

I think that the deliberate attempt to refrigerate cigars causes a lot of problems. My point of temperature control is about stability and not deliberate cooling. If it were not for some trepidation about insect infestation, I would not even store at 70dF, but closer to 75dF.

Higher temperatures allow for higher rH ambients. It is that plain and simple.

I can see no reason why one cannot store cigars at 80rH… IF the temperature is high enough to balance out the percentage moisture content to where it would be at your preferred lower settings.

Then again there are people who do not correlate an acrid smoking experience with a high water content. The settings that many prefer, for example, creates a wet cigar in my opinion. There are likely some that actually think that a high water content makes a cigar taste better… The variation of opinions on the topic are just one aspect of what makes us individuals.

A high water content in a cigar ruins the cigar (MHO). I wish I were amongst the many that could not taste it and/or are indifferent to it. I am stuck with my tastes, and being what they are, I am forced to control it, or smoke cigars that I think taste bad…

Cheers! -Piggy

• Like 3

Piggy,

I have read many of your posts and your expertise is rather extraordinary. Even more extraordinary is your understanding that everyone is unique. Sometimes "experts" project their beliefs onto others. Thank you for being an incredible source of knowledge without judgement towards those of us that either don't have the knowledge or means to create a perfect (to us) storage environment. I have coolidors and often wonder what my smokes would taste like if I adjusted the environment.

Some day, my kids and wife will not dominate my time and I will be able to really experiment with all of this. I am just lucky to be able to sneak away for a smoke a couple times a week.

• Like 3

Piggy,

I have read many of your posts and your expertise is rather extraordinary. Even more extraordinary is your understanding that everyone is unique. Sometimes "experts" project their beliefs onto others. Thank you for being an incredible source of knowledge without judgement towards those of us that either don't have the knowledge or means to create a perfect (to us) storage environment. I have coolidors and often wonder what my smokes would taste like if I adjusted the environment.

Some day, my kids and wife will not dominate my time and I will be able to really experiment with all of this. I am just lucky to be able to sneak away for a smoke a couple times a week.

... thanks for the complements mate. I try to keep it scientific (with a healthy mix of my options) and always honest! -P

• Like 1