Explain Cuba to me (so I can live vicariously while Rob is away)

By now I am certain that everyone on FOH has heard about Rob's Cuba trip. So, while he's siesta-ing, drinking and partying away in the Caribbean, I'm still here sneaky.gif

I have seen countless photos of Cuba, heard all the stories on the deck here from Rob and Co. but I still feel I can't begin to fathom what going to Cuba would actually be like.

So, to help me understand what Cuba is like, post up some of your best photos, some of your best stories, anything that'll help me vicariously appreciate Cuba. The people, the cigars, the land, the architecture - anything!

wink.png

You pretty much need to look no further than Nino's blog 'Flying Cigar' in particular the 'Travel Cigar' section on Cuba. The whole sites full of awesome stories and pics though.

There is no Cuba. At least not one you can see from the US.....

• Like 3

Cuba is a three faced country. One face for locals that is mean and ugly and hard. One face for tourists that is incredible beaches, some cool architecture, neat old cars, terrible food. And one face for tourists or ex pats with connections, that I imagine must be an incredible experience but can't comment on it since I am not part of the "connections" group....

Imo, aside from the connections group, there is little reason to pick Cuba as a vacation spot more than once, unless of course, you love cigars.....

• Like 1

You pretty much need to look no further than Nino's blog 'Flying Cigar' in particular the 'Travel Cigar' section on Cuba. The whole sites full of awesome stories and pics though.

Having been to Cuba many times it is hard to translate the sense of the country, people and the atmosphere that goes along with it, but Nino's blogs have done a pretty good job.

It is also not the vegas of the Caribbean that many of the post in here allude to. Yes some folks do get a bit wobbly after a number of drinks and make bad decisions but not really any more so than they do on any other vacation destination.

• Like 1

I agree with Shlomo Cuba has many faces. The woman who lives in Cuba, an american has some interesting insights into her experiences in Havana.

http://hereishavana.com/

Even before I was a cigar fanatic I loved Cuba but mostly because of the old building and great people. Now as a cigar mecca I see a different Cuba.

Cuba is a three faced country. One face for locals that is mean and ugly and hard. One face for tourists that is incredible beaches, some cool architecture, neat old cars, terrible food. And one face for tourists or ex pats with connections, that I imagine must be an incredible experience but can't comment on it since I am not part of the "connections" group....

Imo, aside from the connections group, there is little reason to pick Cuba as a vacation spot more than once, unless of course, you love cigars.....

The cigars and the fishing.

• Like 1

Ali E,

If you're ever able to go with RA, here's a very small glimpse of what you've to look forward to:

attachicon.gifKG_boss2.jpg

attachicon.gifLearningToWalk2.jpg

Why not take advantage of the situation - hit the humidor, hit the wine fridge, then hit the deck - feet up, lean back.

nice, colt!

we used to have those guys to our parties every year. this is reasonably early in the evening. every year, the two would have a massive barney and the band would break up - turns out we were the only people who'd let them drink while they played.

that photo was singing sixties motown while drinking old rum and smoking a hamlet, with another in the pocket.

and then you have a shot from 'something about mary'.

that photo was singing sixties motown while drinking old rum and smoking a hamlet

You've got sunshine, on a cloudy day....... biggrin.png

He does love the malecón on a Sunday night......

(you'll be in good hands Ali....)

Eating in an Italy-themed restaurant in the hotel, knowing your waiter will probably never be able to go to Italy..

Elderly men lighting their cigarettes with your cigar..

Tourists complaining about their food because they think they're in Barbados..

Locals trying to survive while I light up another Behike..

The beauty of a ruined city..

The ghosts of so many dreams..

Rum everywhere..

People having problems thrown at them every day and somehow hanging in there..

Here everyone is poor..

Still they make you feel welcome and you will see how beautiful the island and it's people are.

• Like 2

Ali E,

If you're ever able to go with RA, here's a very small glimpse of what you've to look forward to:

attachicon.gifKG_boss2.jpg

attachicon.gifLearningToWalk2.jpg

Why not take advantage of the situation - hit the humidor, hit the wine fridge, then hit the deck - feet up, lean back.

Sounds apt to me, I might have to take your advice mate! smile.png

nice, colt!

we used to have those guys to our parties every year. this is reasonably early in the evening. every year, the two would have a massive barney and the band would break up - turns out we were the only people who'd let them drink while they played.

that photo was singing sixties motown while drinking old rum and smoking a hamlet, with another in the pocket.

Eugh, what is that? surprised.gif Seriously, what is in Rob's hair....?