Epicure No 2...better fresh or aged?

I'm head over heels for this box of 2014 Epi 2s from our host. Thinking about picking up a second box for aging purposes but wondering if it could get any better than this?

Obviously it's tough to say how the 2014s will age compared to the aged stock of the past and present but humor me...

Do you prefer an Epicure No 2 aged or fresh?

I just smoked one from a sampler I got, tasted like a two dollar *****. The perfume was so strong I didn't get through the second third before I doused it in my kids wading pool and tossed it in the forest. I would suspect a little aging wouldn't hurt.

Never had an old one, my actual box is from 2013 and they are to my liking.

As I'm down to a few only I sealed them in the box and want to keep it for 6-12 month and see how it goes.

Discussed so often here, at the moment we are spoiled with so many good and ready to smoke cigars. :)

If you like them smoke then and if yo have so extra coin, get another box and alternate, if you want to stay with the Epi2 at this moment.

I've had 2009, 2013 and 2014 Epi 2's and I found the 2009 to be the most consistent; without any sharp edges. The 2013-14's were also good but the youth on them was evident in some places. Usually it only showed up in the final third, but on rare occasion they were acidic dog rockets of burning rubber right from the start.

• Like 1

The 2013-14's were also good but the youth on them was evident in some places. Usually it only showed up in the final third, but on rare occasion they were acidic dog rockets of burning rubber right from the start.

Very interesting. My only complaint with some of the fresh Epi 2s was also a less than stellar final third. Fortunately it doesn't happen with all of them and the first two thirds make up for it!

Are you suggesting a bit of aging could tame that last third?

I'm head over heels for this box of 2014 Epi 2s from our host. Thinking about picking up a second box for aging purposes but wondering if it could get any better than this?

Obviously it's tough to say how the 2014s will age compared to the aged stock of the past and present but humor me...

Do you prefer an Epicure No 2 aged or fresh?

Just going to challenge you a bit here mate!

Why would you care? If you are head-over-heels about a cigar, why would you think twice about buying more? No one knows what a cigar will taste like until it is lit up. If YOUR experience tells you that these cigars are keepers, forget the committee and buy some more.

Who says the same cigar rolled 5 years ago tastes anywhere near the same? Is it the age, or the tobacco, the roller, the day it was rolled…? Does it matter?

If your jaws are saying bite, then bite!

Cheers! -Piggy

• Like 3

It's not a matter of either/or in this case. I'm trying to get an idea if I should have a box to put away in addition to smoking freshies.

Does it get better than this? Are aged Epi 2s just as good but in a different way? That's really what I was thinking when I asked the question.

Does it get better than this? Are aged Epi 2s just as good but in a different way? That's really what I was thinking when I asked the question.

Only one way to find out, Angelo!! sneaky.gif

Lay em down and smoke them every 6 months. Past two years, smoke one every once in a while until you can get the flavours out. This is how i discovered that RyJ Churchill Tubos are a great cigar after 3 years. My DIC '12 box is now going under age until at least December of 2015 where i'll light one up and see where they are. If i had listened to anyone besides my own palate, I would never have a batch of RyJ Churchills ageing in my humidor (that I've smoked and know will be good one day)

now to your question on whether or not you should have a box to put away... YES. Always. In a perfect world.

however, what I would do is just put aside a box and ration them when you can. Like my Siglo IIIs when I was starting out, i put a box aside and said i'd age them until 5 years to see how amazing they are. 2 years in and now they're all gone. No regrets on my side. I love my Siglo IIIs. Young or old. Perhaps you can take something from that and apply it to your Hoyo2 thoughts? If only the IIIs were as cheap... innocent.gif

• Like 2

Very interesting. My only complaint with some of the fresh Epi 2s was also a less than stellar final third. Fortunately it doesn't happen with all of them and the first two thirds make up for it!

Are you suggesting a bit of aging could tame that last third?

Yes. And I'm not saying that Epi 2's aren't good young; quite the opposite. I find them consistently good young. However you can tell the difference between current production and 4-5 year old production. Not that it gets better, just that the occasional rough edge is smoothed out, and I almost never find a harsh bit in the final third of the Epi's with a few years of settling on them.

Epi 2's are one of the few cigars that I always like to have multiple boxes in my stash. I prefer them once they get around the one year mark. Personally, I haven't noticed a ton of difference when they are aged longer.

However, I usually find a noticeable difference between fresh ones and cigars that have about a year on them.