Wife was kind enough to hang with me at Iwan Ries tonight while we were hanging out in Chicago. Totally authentic Chicago smoking room.

BYOB. Glasses available for wine and whiskeys. I drank jack, and the wife drank red wine. Target, around the block, has enough of a selection to be dangerous. Don't count on single malts or Far Niente though.

Room is a gorgeous time warp of wood paneling and hardwoods with leather chairs and couches.theres a small humidor which would fill in in a pinch just fine, but most brought their own sticks. Tons of history to the building, which I'll spare you all, but don't miss the steel columns by the windows. They're an amazing miracle of preservation, almost lost during a renovation in the 80's. That said, it's nothing too spectacular. It's very much an authentic Chicago experience, walking up a flight of stairs off the street under the El.

HVAC was apparently at half capacity due to a maintenance issue, but with a packed house (all three rooms were mostly filed with meetings, casual smokers and a bachelor party) it still performed enough to allow me to enjoy my Bolivar 100%.

Apparently they bought a mansion in the Gold Coast district, and are converting it to a smoke shop and various smoking rooms. I heard the smoke shop is only weeks away from opening, and the rooms soon thereafter.

Thanks much to Chicago and Richard at Iwan Ries. I felt right at home! I'll be back, likely with my brother an whomever will join.

Saint

post-19989-0-34907100-1408991246_thumb.j

post-19989-0-64000700-1408991252_thumb.j

post-19989-0-99683100-1408991268_thumb.j

post-19989-0-11861200-1408991730_thumb.j

post-19989-0-81464900-1408992324_thumb.j

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing. Was bummed I didn't make it last time I was in Chi town. 1 question. If People bring their own booze and sticks..what's in it for them? Is there a cover charge?

Thanks for sharing. Was bummed I didn't make it last time I was in Chi town. 1 question. If People bring their own booze and sticks..what's in it for them? Is there a cover charge?

They charge a daily "cutting fee" for admission.

All the years living in the West Loop I never visited their lounge. My favorite location was the "sidewalk" cafe at a small cigar store in Greektown where we were served Greek coffee, Gelato sundaes with freshly roasted almonds, and Greek pastries. Unfortunately, it closed a while back.

I've ordered from them a couple of times. Thanks for bringing them up...I need to find their catalogs I've got buried somewhere! looking.gif

When in Chicago I used the Iwan Ries lounge as my office. The cutting fee is a business expense!

• Like 2