Suspect Partagas Lusitanias Gran Reserva

ATGroom

65 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

They are really starting to come out with some impressive fakes these days. I don't have any of my boxes in front of me but everything looks ok. The Series P is weird but as stated that would not worry me as it is most likely Cuba being Cuba. As far as the serial number matching up they have gotten good enough to have those check out. There are a lot of MGR's going around that all checked out serial wise on the website. If it is fake it is the best by far anyone has posted.

• 2 weeks later...

The serial number checks out on habanos' website

I hate to say 'So what', but one of the first things I would do if I were creating fakes would be to make sure they had an authentic serial numbers .... means there would be hundreds of boxes with the same number .... and hundreds of happy owners to check it out.

I hate to say 'So what', but one of the first things I would do if I were creating fakes would be to make sure they had an authentic serial numbers .... means there would be hundreds of boxes with the same number .... and hundreds of happy owners to check it out.

Isn't this why there are extra security features, micro printing and holograms, in the warranty seal?

I have no experience with PGRs, but the easiest way to check for fakes is to smoke it. Obviously, you must have a reference, but as I found with people unable to grasp the situation regarding MGRs, the reference must be real, not just another variety of fakes from somewhere else.

Very interesting regardless. For everything that Frank and Alexander both mentioned (some of which I didn't notice in the pictures at first glance), I'd vote that on a balance, it's likely fake.

However - even though we're making a judgement call about these without knowing promenance/source, and only making judgement through some slightly off pictures - just....damn, it's getting harder and harder to tell anymore with some of this stuff.

But, I suppose with something with such a high profit margin as GR, Reserva, RE and EL cigars, they / counterfeiters are putting more effort and care into it.

I'm guessing they wised up to the fact that they can't get away with selling a 10-box glass top of GR Lusitanias. LOL.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Was the source ever confirmed for this box of cigars?

Another well known source was offering these to private clients in addition to MGRs which were questionable as well.

If I'm not mistaken this box was offered in the Benelux through the official importer. If this is correct, then more then likely we are dealing with a misprint here. We would not be talking about your source David.

Remember the Connie A with the extra i.

Could OP please comfirm this?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This is what I see that would concern me slightly:

2. The tax seal doesn't have perfect placement on the cardboard box (straight through the shield)

If I had to make a call, I'd say it was a genuine box with some interesting print.

I don't know that the tax seal would bother me. I just checked 5 boxes in my wineador, all purchased from a vendor many of you use and only two are perfectly creased through the center of the shield. Both are boxes of RA. The bolivars, Upmanns and Montes are just creased somewhere within the oval around the shield or through a part of the shield.

That said, my tolerance for Cuba being Cuba shrinks proportionally to the more money I have spend on a box. I likely would have sent them back as well based the series p

• Like 1

I don't know that the tax seal would bother me. I just checked 5 boxes in my wineador, all purchased from a vendor many of you use and only two are perfectly creased through the center of the shield. Both are boxes of RA. The bolivars, Upmanns and Montes are just creased somewhere within the oval around the shield or through a part of the shield.

That said, my tolerance for Cuba being Cuba shrinks proportionally to the more money I have spend on a box. I likely would have sent them back as well based the series p

Do any of your boxes have excessive glue on the bands? (Serious question) thanks in advance.

I went through my boxes and examined a good 5-6 out of each box and I think I may have found 1 BPC (ULA 14) that might have some glue residue, cab't be positive. Otherwise all the bands appeared perfectly aligned with the correct colors and textures.

I went through my boxes and examined a good 5-6 out of each box and I think I may have found 1 BPC (ULA 14) that might have some glue residue, cab't be positive. Otherwise all the bands appeared perfectly aligned with the correct colors and textures.

I'm sorry, I thought you said you had 5 boxes of pgr. My apologies.

Sent by telepathic super powers

-Stogie Boy

No worries, I was posting a generality based on boxes I've seen both in my possession and at merchants in Europe as far as the crease being perfectly split down the middle of the shield. So long as the sticker is close to the shield lining up with the edge, I chalk it up to high quotas and low wages.

• 2 weeks later...

Do any of your boxes have excessive glue on the bands? (Serious question) thanks in advance.

I'm sorry, I thought you said you had 5 boxes of pgr. My apologies.

-Stogie Boy

Nope. That "shadow" will never go away. You don't see glue residue like that on these (nor on most any others), aside from other factors.

• Like 2

Nope. That "shadow" will never go away. You don't see glue residue like that on these (nor on most any others), aside from other factors.

What other factors may that be?

The new pl Soberalientes have heavy glue residue. But with that said no one who purchase these boxes can really make a sweeping generalization about the entire release. Even if one were to buy 100 boxes that is only 2% of the release. 2% is not even enough to make a sweeping claim.

-Stogie Boy

• 5 months later...