Which 5 boxes circa 1999?

Around 1999 a friend of a friend was involved with a cigar B&M shop. He offered for me to come visit and pick up a few boxes of CC's (with a discount!). At the time I had no interest in cigars at all so thanked him but politely declined, on reflection which 5 different boxes of regularly available cuban cigars from around that time would have proved the best investment if I still had them today? Either financially or in terms of smoking pleasure. Jumping in a time machine which 5 would you buy from 1999?

From what I've seen lately a best bet would be 5 x 50 Cab Trinidad Fundadores - they'd most likely be '98s but still in the shop.....

Tapatalk's duplicating topics now too?!?!

The best Bolivar CE's I have ever smoked came from '99.

I have had wonderful Partagas Seleccion Pivadas from '99 as well as cabs of Partagas PC's. I did not think that it was a good year for 898's but that could have been my luck of the draw.

Okay, I understand the aspect of cigars going up in value, but just don't think of them that way! Again, it does not mean that I ignore the potential or the facet of present market value. Unfortunately in some senses it kinda' ruins the entire mindset (mine) of a cigar being a simple, affordable, disposable pleasure. I mean when a box of cigars that you paid a couple hundred bucks for suddenly becomes 'worth' a grand, it actually affects my rather casual relationship with the cigar itself. Value has components and it is often the fact that the cigars are no longer made that gives them the value. Yes, age has a component alone, but the irreplaceable nature of a discontinued cigars adds to that ostensible value.

I would trade the value for having the cigars available again. The age means little to me. But the fact that I cannot replace them with cigars that will likely be as good (IMHO) affects how I view them and thus how I smoke and gift them. Not having an endless supply of these cigars, I become less generous with them and that really bothers me! I cannot just replace my coronas with robustos.

Enough of that I guess. If value was all that I was concerned with, I would have not listed the cigars that just tasted great (that I can remember). I would have just listed what would carry the highest resale value, and I am not wired that way when thinking about a cigar as a positive experience.

Value is important to me. A great tasting ordinary inexpensive cigar is worth more than a great tasting expensive cigar! All things considered, I get more smoking time out of the great tasting inexpensive ones!

There is (was) a lot of gratification to be had, going to a herf and introducing someone to a great, ordinary cigar that they overlooked because no one gave it any press. Introducing someone to a Partagas Coronas, or an Upmann Lonsdale, something out of the limelight and telling them that they can bag three boxes of these for the price of two of those… That was a lot of fun for me!

Cheers. -Piggy

• Like 2