Hirochi Robaina going to the USA

Cigar Aficionado posted an article about Hirochi Robaina helping to blend a Nicaraguan Puro cigar, the HR. This part of the article shocks me: "Robaina himself will be at the IPCPR trade show to promote the new line. Additionally, Robaina will be going on tour after the trade show, visiting the top retailers of HR during in-store events."

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/17699

The IPCPR show is the US version of the Habanos Festival, the biggest event for manufacturers/retailers in the US. To Rob or anyone in the know, why/how on Earth does Cuba allow Hirochi to help make a Nicaraguan Puro cigar and travel the US promoting a Nica cigar? The only explanation I have thought of is that Cuba has been researching and test blending cigars with non-Cuban tobacco like Equador and now Nicaragua.

I know they allowed Alejandro to travel to be an "ambassador" of the industry, but this seems too risky for Cuba to simply allow this without deeper motives.

The only explanation I have thought of is that Cuba has been researching and test blending cigars with non-Cuban tobacco like Equador and now Nicaragua.

Uh? Does only Hirochi work for HSA or Cubataba? I think he represents only himself and his own interests

Uh? Does only Hirochi work for HSA or Cubataba? I think he represents only himself and his own interests

Um, you do know he lives in Cuba correct? That statement is clearly way off base. Like he can dictate where and to whom he sells his tobacco to and that residents are free to travel out of Cuba whenever and wherever they want.

It is well documented that Hirochi has been working with tobacco in Equador and now Nicaragua... do you really think Cuba just lets him travel not knowing his destination and reason for travel?

why/how on Earth does Cuba allow Hirochi to help make a Nicaraguan Puro cigar and travel the US promoting a Nica cigar?

Hopefully, he didn't have to seek permission to do as he pleases. He has also been involved with people in China, and some time back looked to do something in Ecuador.

P.S. As a Cuban citizen, if he makes money from the project, there's a possibility the Government would get their cut.....

I have a few very good friends that are mates with the Robaina family, and every one says this has nothing to do with HSA or Cuban tobacco at all. The relationships he is making could very well be part of a "Cuba plan" if and when the embargo ends, but he is on his own as far as this venture is concerned.

The legacy that his grandfather has established should live as just that, Sr. Don Alejandro's, and may his grandson be successful in his own ventures.

I wish him luck and long ashes.

• Like 2

It is well documented that Hirochi has been working with tobacco in Equador and now Nicaragua... do you really think Cuba just lets him travel not knowing his destination and reason for travel?

Did I say that? And what's the relation between Cubataba and Hiroshi's projects in Nicaragua and Equator?

I guess Cuba has enough work with its own projects; the Instituto de Investigationes del Tabaco is working on a new wrapper, the Criollo 2010.

I have a few very good friends that are mates with the Robaina family, and every one says this has nothing to do with HSA or Cuban tobacco at all. The relationships he is making could very well be part of a "Cuba plan" if and when the embargo ends, but he is on his own as far as this venture is concerned.

The legacy that his grandfather has established should live as just that, Sr. Don Alejandro's, and may his grandson be successful in his own ventures.

I wish him luck and long ashes.

This.

Brilliantly put. Especially the lastun.

• Like 1

And what's the relation between Cubataba and Hiroshi's projects in Nicaragua and Equator?

I don't know, and neither do you or probably anyone on this forum with certainty. It is my opinion that Cuba would not allow their most well-known tobacco farmer to travel freely to other tobacco nations and blend/grow other cigars without having some sort of arrangement. I have smoked a cigar with Hirochi and wish nothing but the best for him and his family, I just find it very interesting that he is allowed to promote this new cigar in the USA. I only hope it's Cuba continuing to loosen their restrictions, but I doubt it.

I had a chance to sit down and have a cigar with Hiroshi at his farm a couple of years ago and you couldn't meet a nicer guy. I hope he makes his way to Toronto at some point.

I don't know, and neither do you or probably anyone on this forum with certainty. It is my opinion that Cuba would not allow their most well-known tobacco farmer to travel freely to other tobacco nations and blend/grow other cigars without having some sort of arrangement.

Better to seek forgiveness than to ask permission.

Anyway...all I see is a man learning the better aspects of other tobacco's + international marketing. I have no doubt it is for the good of the Habanos/Tabacuba monopoly. lookaround.gif

A man should travel where he wants. Well done.

• Like 1

I have seen the HR brand in Robaina's farm in June 2011.

At that time Hirochi was already studying such new blend.

Perhaps a naive statement on my part, but I've heard for years about the NC industry wanting to blend with Cuban tobacco, but never the opposite. My impression was that Cuba was so proud of their product that it would be blasphemy to even mention other tobacco. I find this topic VERY intriguing, although it's been a few years since I have (99%) abandoned NCs.

For those of you a little more in the know, would you mind delving a little further into the topic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have always found Cuban Tobacco growers fascinated on farming techniques in other parts of the world. For the vast majority of them, going overseas is not an option or at least wasn't an option until a very short time ago and even now getting a passport is a nightmare and the needed $'s to travel (for the majority) restrictive.

If we can make an analogy to wine makers. It is common practice for wine makers in Oz to visit/spend time/work on vineyards overseas. Likewise for overseas winemakers to do the same here in Oz. learning and honing ones craft is a beautiful thing.

Whether a wine maker or a tobacco grower, in my experience at their heart they are farmers who in the main show great respect for others in their field.

Some of them are also very good marketers. It is in the blood as much as farming. Kudos to them.

• Like 1

I have always found Cuban Tobacco growers fascinated on farming techniques in other parts of the world. For the vast majority of them, going overseas is not an option or at least wasn't an option until a very short time ago and even now getting a passport is a nightmare and the needed $'s to travel (for the majority) restrictive.

If we can make an analogy to wine makers. It is common practice for wine makers in Oz to visit/spend time/work on vineyards overseas. Likewise for overseas winemakers to do the same here in Oz. learning and honing ones craft is a beautiful thing.

Whether a wine maker or a tobacco grower, in my experience at their heart they are farmers who in the main show great respect for others in their field.

Some of them are also very good marketers. It is in the blood as much as farming. Kudos to them.

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks Rob, well said!