Where do you smoke, with whom, does it change your experience?

Many of us have seen new restrictions on where we can smoke. Does where and with whom or alone change your smoke experience? Does smoking with a group or with only one other person or a close person of the opposite sex change your smoking pleasure? Does our mind control much of our pleasure outcome, maybe when we smoke something really special that you've aged for a great deal of time?

I do believe that environment can have an effect on perception, and perhaps how much attention is paid to the cigar itself. But I also feel that smoking outdoors might allow for a truer / cleaner smoke. Smoking indoors with stagnant air / smoke versus outdoors with clean air, not taking in stagnant smoke.....

I'm probably the oddball, but I like smoking alone, at home on the back deck. Just me, the cigar, and my dog. That way, I get some "alone time" with the cigar, to enjoy and experience. Also allows me to relax and unwind. Sometimes, my wife will sit with me while I smoke, but she isn't a fan of the smoke, so I always have to sit "down wind" from her.

Unfortunately, none of my friends are into cigars. From time to time, a couple of them will light one up with me. But most of those times, they'll end up leaving about half of an unburnt stick in the ashtray. I do have one friend who is interested in CCs, but he hasn't really taken the plunge other than smoking some of my stash. Still, he doesn't smoke cigars on a regular basis.

• Like 1

I'm probably the oddball, but I like smoking alone, at home on the back deck. Just me, the cigar, and my dog. That way, I get some "alone time" with the cigar, to enjoy and experience. Also allows me to relax and unwind. Sometimes, my wife will sit with me while I smoke, but she isn't a fan of the smoke, so I always have to sit "down wind" from her.

Unfortunately, none of my friends are into cigars. From time to time, a couple of them will light one up with me. But most of those times, they'll end up leaving about half of an unburnt stick in the ashtray. I do have one friend who is interested in CCs, but he hasn't really taken the plunge other than smoking some of my stash. Still, he doesn't smoke cigars on a regular basis.

I'm like you, I like to smoke alone on my patio, with a drink and a good movie. This allows me to really relax and enjoy the cigar.

Environment absolutely affects the experience. I would much rather smoke a mediocre cigar in a great environment as opposed to smoking a great cigar in a mediocre environment.

"Great" environment obviously means different things to each person. Heck, it means different things to me depending on my mood, time of day, time of year, what I ate, etc...

• Like 3

If I'm smoking something special or HTF, I tend to smoke alone to really enjoy the experience, but I often smoke with my ol' man a few times a week as well. I like both experiences for different reason but the atmosphere and experience differs for both.

I smoke at the house, and since I'm the lone cigar smoker, it's just me. My brother-in-law who used to be my smoking partner for games, sports events, etc. had a near death experience and congestive heart failure. So he's definitely forbidden from smoking anymore. He can't even be around second hand smoke. I have a friend in Atlanta who is an aficionado of the fine leaf, and I'll shoot some premiums to him here and there. So thus, I have a companion "in spirit" when enjoying my fine leaf.

We usually get together about 5-10 guys on Saturdays at a local B&M. It's a great time smoking with friends, specially when I bring the Havana Club.

It looks like us lone smokers aren't alone after all!! My partner suffers with asthma so I never smoke around her and I don't particularly like smelling of smoke around her either.

I do have a couple of friends who enjoy the odd cigar and it definitely is pleasurable to smoke with friends and with a drink or five. The issue is that my few friends here who will smoke cigars can't tell the difference and any cigar to them is just "a cigar". I enjoy smoking with friends for the social element but after a few failed attempts I almost feel it is a waste to supply them with any of my more expensive sticks...does that make me sound really horrible??

So anyway...for the most part it is just me, myself and I, sat out on my balcony (not an indoor smoker either), giving myself the time to relax and let the world go by. A little bit of serenity is good for the soul!

I smoke alone most of the time. At first it was a purely social thing, but once I got into cigars it was all about the cigar itself.

I'm a pretty strong introvert, so I don't mind smoking alone (rather enjoy it, actually), and with five kids, most of my opportunities to smoke are spur of the moment, and too late at night to invite anyone over.

That being said, there have been a few herfs that I'm sure have heightened the enjoyment of the cigar I was smoking - a Monte 2 at a garden party several years ago, a Monte GR at a herf on my 30th birthday last November, an Avo 70th last year when friends came from out of town, a Partegas Culebras shared with a buddy I met for the first time at a herf/camp out a few weeks ago after being friends on another forum for years- the list goes on and on.

Environment absolutely affects the experience. I would much rather smoke a mediocre cigar in a great environment as opposed to smoking a great cigar in a mediocre environment.

"Great" environment obviously means different things to each person. Heck, it means different things to me depending on my mood, time of day, time of year, what I ate, etc...

I know what you mean on this. Unfortunately our smoking laws now prevent it even in a cigar bar.

90% of the time I'm solo. I have a four car garage of which I occupy one fourth as my cigar spot. I have a TV with chairs in it. I keep it nice and tidy. So it's always just me with my cigar and either watching tennis, Cops, or some movie in Netflix. Good times.

I have a favourite hammock with a stunning sea view...as my smoking haven.

6e4ymuga.jpg

Personally I find solo smoking to really enjoy and savour that special stick is as good, as "smashing a stogie with good friends" over a beverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I prefer smoking a cigar with a mate or mates. I prefer smoking a cigar outdoors but with a protective setting if possible (wind break etal).

Still, a Sunday ritual for me is 3pm bottle of wine and a great cigar to plan my week. Two hours of bliss, no one else around.

i have 3 experiences that most easily associate with Cigars. They are of equal enjoyment.

I have a party short when playing poker which is about twice a week. - good and consistent 'go to' smoke that you don't need to pay to much attention to. Very enjoyable experience, smoking cigar, drinking scotch and playing poker with mates (just like that famous dogs playing cards picture)

Have the odd Solo experience on a Sunday afternoon if i'm able to get the time to relax away - depending on how the week has gone, this might be an experience that requires something more special from the humidor - perfect time for the blind tasting cigars.

Then 2-4 cigars when i catch up with the local cigar boys around the traps in Sydney - normally about once a month. - Grab a selection so that can gift some and smoke what's left - it certainly changes the experience as its winter here down under so i guess everyone sits a little closer so we're a bit more cosy snug (nuthin suss..).

it certainly changes the experience as its winter here down under so i guess everyone sits a little closer so we're a bit more cosy snug (nuthin suss..).

Unless you happen to be sitting next to Elie...

Personally, I can't stand smoking alone, much like I can't stand playing golf on my own. I don't find it anywhere near as enjoyable. I could be smoking the most fantastic cigar in the world, and yet I will still be miserable.

I guess I could just talk to myself when smoking alone... but that just ends up in a fist-fight...

I don't have enough friends who enjoy cigars yet. My best cigar moments are on the back porch, with some water, a glass or scotch, or some beer – with my laptop browsing forums and/or watching something of quality (lately the World Cup) or venturing into a book.

I do have a handful of buddies who are into cigars, but only one who really appreciates Cubans. He'll be back from Brazil in a week or so – I'm counting the days.

I don't have enough friends who enjoy cigars yet. My best cigar moments are on the back porch, with some water, a glass or scotch, or some beer – with my laptop browsing forums and/or watching something of quality (lately the World Cup) or venturing into a book.

I do have a handful of buddies who are into cigars, but only one who really appreciates Cubans. He'll be back from Brazil in a week or so – I'm counting the days.

I'm kinda in the same boat as far as mates who smoke go, but I'm working on converting a few ;)

I really enjoy just lounging out the front with plenty of reading material either electronic or hard copy

It's interesting to note the high numbers of contented solitary smokers. For me, the cigar represents time to myself at a pace ruled by the rate leaf is turned into ash. Time is slowed, interruptions stop and nothing else can seem to do this. Its also good to share with others who know and understand the same experience.

And then Spain score a thrid goal, $#@!* defence, and all that tranqility is lost, until the next cigar.

• Like 2

I have had more stellar cigars with flashbulb memory moments alone rather than with company. That being said, I find a cigar is better suited for social community time with a pal. Pipes never accomplish that for me thus far so I am content to smoke a briar alone and am happy to share cigars with friends.