DCs - a mini odyssey

Since I'm working abroad at the moment, I decided, since there had been a bit of discussion on the board about them, to start trying out various Double Coronas from the local LCDH.

I finished my mini-odyssey today. All the cigars were fairly recent except the Boli which was from 2005.

My final ranking was:-

8) San Cristobal El Morro

7) Vegas Robaina Don Alejandro

6) Punch DC

5) Hoyo de Monterrey DC

4) Ramon Allones Gigantes

3) Cohiba Esplendido

2) Partagas Lusitania

1) Bolivar Coronas Gigantes

With the exception of the SC and the VR, which both were rough and unbalanced and no doubt in need of some more ageing, the rest were excellent, with great construction and balance flavour across the board. They ranged from medium to medium full in strength, always starting slow and stepping it up along the way.

I've become a convert to the longer smoke (around a couple of hours), and I really enjoyed that every cigar of this size took me on a journey. Every one of them from the Punch to the Boli developed in flavour and concentration, and even threw up quite a few new tasting notes I'd never previously experienced - little flashes of orangey citrus in the Boli being the most notable.

I'd urge fans of shorter vitolas to revisit some of these amazing cigars. You won't be disappointed!

• Like 2

I myself am still relatively new to the cigar world and most of the ones I've had so far have been approx 30-45 minute smokes as an average. When I've had those really epic tasting cigars my only complaint is that it doesn't just keep on smoking!!! Really got to start trying some more DC's!!!

Am currently waiting on Diana's email to confirm whether or not I've managed to secure a box of HQ Lusitanias!

Nice work :)

From a purely "technical" standpoint, the Esplendido and BCG are churchills (Julieta2s), the SCdLH, a Paco.

The BCG is one of my favorite cigars - period.

Happy smoking!

Unfortunately, I'm no expert, so I just went by what my eye told me. I didn't include the Upmann Sir Winnie, as I knew that wasn't a DC, but if I had it would have gone in at no.2!

Looks like you enjoyed the aged cigar. That ranking would change if you smoked them all from pre-'05 and also again with pre-'98 variety.

I bet it would. Be interesting to try, if I could find them all!

im just getting into dc as well I just ordered a box of HQ punch dcs and have some SLR dc ive smoked they are excellent as well what I really want to get my hands on is a cohiba dc le 2003 I believe if anyone wants to sell me one or 2 let me know haha

Suprised the punch is so low down, I can't get enough of them at the minute, bcg are amazing too, in fact all dc's are....god I love dc's

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work smile.png

From a purely "technical" standpoint, the Esplendido and BCG are churchills (Julieta2s), the SCdLH, a Paco.

The BCG is one of my favorite cigars - period.

Happy smoking!

Unfortunately, I'm no expert, so I just went by what my eye told me. I didn't include the Upmann Sir Winnie, as I knew that wasn't a DC, but if I had it would have gone in at no.2!

I enjoy a Prominentes on average 1-2 times/week. My order of preference currently is:

1) Partagas Lusitania

2) Ramon Allones Gigantes

3) Punch DC

4) Vegas Robaina Don Alejandro

5) Hoyo de Monterrey DC

Aside from all the current Prominentes and most of the Julieta No. 2s you've listed, including the Sir Winston, there's still a couple of the current regular production Churchills to go. Q D'o and RyJ.

With the Churchills my list looks like this:

1) H Upmann Sir Winston

2) Bolivar Coronas Gigantes

3) Cohiba Esplendido

4) RyJ Churchill

5) Quai d'Orsay Imperiales

Winston tops all of these with the Lusi next, then BCG and RAG.

Try those last two along with a recent BCG mate and you're good to go!

• Like 1

How's the SLR?

Yikes, can't believe I missed that. They can be very good, I'd rank between the VR and HdM now, though when they're on they could top the list.

SLR's are one of my favorite DC's. The only DC's that I have in my humidor right now.

Haven't had one in a while though.Usually like to smoke my DC's in the winter time for some reason. Go great during a football game.

My mouth has been watering for DC's lately.

I've got a regular Lusi and three GR Lusi's which won't see the light of day till new years but I've always wanted to try the SLR DC.

Lately been smoking long skinnies and just wishing they were just longer.

Trouble is with a double corona is I feel they need a lovely sunny warm afternoon and settling into winter here I don't see too many opportunities to smoke one.