Suspicious RASS

All mine say Habana on the left and Cuba on the right.....

Got an odd RASS in a trade recently. Cigar on the left is my control sample. The band on top is the control band.

Love to hear your thoughts.

Why do you think it's odd? Because it's different from your "reference?" What year is your reference? What year is the "odd" cigar? Aside from the fact that one came from a semi-plain or dressed box and the other came from a cab, what other features do you feel you should be concerned about?

The attached image is of a cigar from my 2008 50-SLB code ENE. The band looks exactly like the one that's giving you the willies. "Habana" on both sides of the center.

Wilkey

PS. They're smoking out of this world so it's quite possible your trading partner did you a solid.

post-629-0-83553100-1401422746_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The imposter allegedly came from a 2013 box. It was a trade so no box to inspect.

Trade was from a friend that didn't intentionally send a fake.

What you're calling an imposter looks very much like an authentic RASS that is at least 5 years old. As cmitch observed, no cigar band from 2013 ought to have patina like that. After 10, 15 years. Not 1.

Wilkey

Note: Improper storage under conditions of excessive humidity and/or elevated temperature can accelerate the development of oxidative patina. The wrapper and construction look to be quite good so I don't suspect it was an abused specimen. But keep in mind, any determination anyone can give you over the internet, by nature, is properly treated with care and a bit of skepticism.

• Like 1

Why do you think it's odd? Because it's different from your "reference?" What year is your reference? What year is the "odd" cigar? Aside from the fact that one came from a semi-plain or dressed box and the other came from a cab, what other features do you feel you should be concerned about?

The attached image is of a cigar from my 2008 50-SLB code ENE. The band looks exactly like the one that's giving you the willies. "Habana" on both sides of the center.

Wilkey

PS. They're smoking out of this world so it's quite possible your trading partner did you a solid.

Your pic inspires a little more confidence.

My reference came from 2013 box from a reliable source. Hint hint.

The other is also allegedly a 2013 but he could be mistaken and it very may be older. My 'suspect' band looks very similar to your pic.

Prior to 2008 both sides were Habana

You're correct.

I just checked, my older ones and CCW both show the H/H vs. H/C bands. I'd just grabbed the first one at hand so saying all was a bad generalization. Mea culpa on that....

My only issue would be that your picture shows a lack of any embossing which is normally a telltale sign of a fake band.

My only issue would be that your picture shows a lack of any embossing which is normally a telltale sign of a fake band.

I wouldn't put much stock in that generalization. By the time Cuba decides to take worn emboss dies out of service, I'd be surprised if anyone could tell what marca it struck if there were no print and the test was made on a plain sheet of paper.

You're correct.

I just checked, my older ones and CCW both show the H/H vs. H/C bands. I'd just grabbed the first one at hand so saying all was a bad generalization. Mea culpa on that....

No worries. It is easy to get lost in the details, or the boxes.

Your pic inspires a little more confidence.

My reference came from 2013 box from a reliable source. Hint hint.

The other is also allegedly a 2013 but he could be mistaken and it very may be older. My 'suspect' band looks very similar to your pic.

I am not the only person to have mixed up cigars. It's not unusual to find several vintages in my ready to smoke cooler and if not careful, a mis-assignment can be made...innocently.

Wilkey

I am not the only person to have mixed up cigars. It's not unusual to find several vintages in my ready to smoke cooler and if not careful, a mis-assignment can be made...innocently.

Wilkey

And if that's the case you probably got the better end of the deal party.gif

It's all good. Hope I didn't jump on you too much. I apologize for being a big cranky. So many years of people calling "fake" for this, that, or the other takes its toll.

I hope the discussion in this thread has given you some context if not confidence.

Cheers,

Wilkey

• Like 1

With fake bands, the embossing is typically not the dead giveaway... since it can vary widely with older cigars. Usually it's the ink, and sometimes the paper.

smile.png I think faking the old RA bands would be a counterfeiters nightmare ... the coat of arms was always a blob.

The cigar looks perfectly OK to me HB. I thinking you got the best end of the trade. Enjoy!

That coat of arms was my biggest concern. It looked...well...like a blob. There was no detail, no defined lines. It just looked like crap. After taking a look again after all the comments on this thread I think I most likely just an old RASS.

Correct size and shape. As Wilkey pointed out it probably came from a 50 cab due to the lack of slight box press.

Triple cap looks good.

Good look, feel, and smell.

The only thing that threw me was the band. I've only been into cc's for a couple of years so haven't been around long enough to know an old RASS band when I see one. The band lacks good detail and the coat of arms looks TERRIBLE. Also, my trading partner had it labeled as a 2013 and I have a box of 2013 with totally different bands as pictured above.

The foot doesn't look like its full of plastic or dog hair so I am going to come to the conclusion this is an old RASS.

Band changed in 08. So the cigar has to be 08 or earlier.

I've had some 05-08 RASS that were just spectacular. Same can be said for RASCCs from that timeframe. Of all the order bands i've seen, the embossing wasn't very strong.

I assume your 13 is from a dress box, and i'd assume the cigar in question is from a cab.

Only thing a little shocking to me is the wrapper color. I've never seen really dark RASS earlier than 08. But that certainly doesn't mean that it is a fake.

Once you smoke it, you will know.

Prior to 2008 both sides were Habana

That's right, but they also had a raised/embossed shield, and that one is flat. Also, the OP said it came from a 2013 box.

The cigar itself looks okay. I'd say this one is mildly suspicious. Smoke it and tell us! The RA's have such a unique flavor profile, it should be obvious right away.

I smoke a lot of RASS (2013 mostly) so I should be able to tell when I torch it so we shall see.

My 'odd' RASS came from a trade. My trading partner had it marked as a 2013 but I cannot confirm it IS a 2013, its just the only information I have. He is a good guy and solid trading partner so I don't fault him even if it is not genuine. If its not, he didn't do it on purpose. My suspicion is that it is a 2008 or earlier he had marked wrong (at least that is my hope).

My control stick is from a box of 25 from a...shall we say...reliable source...and it would appear the 'odd' fellow would have had to have been from a cab but again, can't confirm one way or the other.