Found a real treasure in New York City: DP Cigars

canadianbeaver

Dropped in to DPCigars in Chelsea yesterday and got to smoke one of their locally rolled coronas. A blend of Nicaraguan, Dominican leaves, oily and tons of smoke. A real treat considering the day before I left a whole $23 Davidoff in the ashtray because it was awful ( fortunately a gift from the sales guy).

The DP hand rolled cigar? Wait for it... $3.50

Some store info;

https://foursquare.com/v/dp-cigars/4c7d5ffb9221236a710d7f3d

post-8371-0-61870600-1397271303_thumb.jp

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's awesome...I was pretty shocked by the number of cigar shops when I was in New York in feb. Never made it out to DP (or even heard about it before this post) but wish I had of so I could have brought back some of those customs.

Enjoy your trip!

I admire these shop owners soooo much. They truly are fighters. I work in the city (Local 608 Carpenters) and the price of rent in some of these tiny store fronts is insane. At $3.50 a cigar I can't figure out how they do it. I guess that's there business. So many great shops in just Manhattan alone. The other 4 boroughs have some great ones too.

Thanks so much for sharing this info, I've lived in NYC for over ten years and never stumbled upon this place but now I plan on checking it out....

The romance, nice...If you like them, may as well buy a few boxes, you're the only judge that's important! Hard to imagine how they could make any money rolling those locally, they must be a lot faster than me, Did they sell loose whole leaf tobacco? I think I have some pretty nice wrapper leaf as I get a very nice nose from them, but my cigars lack flavor. I'll be looking for the review after you smoke the rest, maybe I'll call them to see if they'll sell me some filler. :)

They roll them in the Bronx, not Chelsea. I don't know if they sell the ingredients. I think not - most there do not speak English and do not seem to invite any conversation except compliments or orders. The owner's son seems to run the business and he is the one who does speak English.

When I was in NYC, every time I walked into a store tjat had house rolls I tried one.

Every one I smoked was, at the very least, pretty good.

They usually sell for under $5 a stick and are better than a branded cigar twice the price.

I came home with 5 bundles of house rolls from all the stores.

• Like 1

When I was in NYC, every time I walked into a store tjat had house rolls I tried one.

Every one I smoked was, at the very least, pretty good.

They usually sell for under $5 a stick and are better than a branded cigar twice the price.

I came home with 5 bundles of house rolls from all the stores.

Very nice, I guess it can't hurt to call them, I've been sticking to the leaf suppliers but I bet they'll sell some loose leaf. I can roll most cigars for less than a dollar.

We just came in from smoking the cigars I brought home from DP Cigars. Ours are the 5.5" x 46-48 RG - I think this would be a corona.

Matthew gave it a "not bad" . This is between his "very nice" and "what else you got?" I agreed. It had lots of smoke and nice scent and flavor, but was kind of acidic. We both smoked the whole things and enjoyed them.

Great value.

We both smoked the whole things and enjoyed them.

One of the most enjoyable cigars I've had over the past few months (few and far between due to weather) was a cigar rolled at a kiosk in Florida - excellent construction, excellent balance, very nice flavor and a great cigar overall. If I could get more guaranteed the same blend, I'd happily acquire a few bundles.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Here Is another good shop In N.Y.C. , They also have good hand rolled cigars In the shop.

Martinez Hand Rolled Cigars

Guy

Been there

Shop is a generous word, its pretty small

Prob not more that 100sq feet in total. Just enough space for a counter and a couple of rolling stations

I smoked one of their New York Coronas and it was ok. The did let me sit by the door and watch the guys roll while I smoked my cigar, so that was an added bonus

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...