'99 VR Clásicos

Got a handful of 15 year old Vegas Robaina Clásicos from a buddy recently and decided to take one of these lovely Cervantes for a spin.

This stick was rock hard as I find most aged cigars tend to be, but after a clean cut I found the draw to be impeccable, just the right amount of resistance.

Excellent construction, no flaws on the walnut brown wrapper.

Prelight draw presented musty earthy and woody notes with a promise for things to come.

Easily took to the soft flame with good smoke production, hints of light earth and caramel corn.

Medium-bodied smoke with a bit of strength still intact.

Light pepper on the retrohale as it approaches the mid-point of the cigar, caramel now taking the forefront. Milk chocolate also making an appearance.

Strength picks up as I enter the final leg of the journey, darker chocolate flavors, more earthiness as well though the sweet sensation is dropping away.

After a one hour and 45 minute respite from the world I extinguish this lovely example, glad I've 4 left!

• Like 2

Nice review. Glad it smoked well even though you mentioned it was rock hard. Not all aged cigars are rock hard, and from my personal experience the rock hard ones don't smoke very well.

I'm starting to like VR a lot and would love to try an aged one.

Thanks for the review! Big fan of the Clasicos

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

VRs are night and day after 10 years, aren't they? Gotta find more!

About two years back, Joann had a bunch of '99 Unicos on clearance. I think about 33% were plugged. But when they drew, they were like a dream. I still remember how ethereal those cigars were. Less intense and concentrated than the Clasicos, a very simple, everlasting creamy milk chocolate.

I'm a huge fan of thje VR line, and it's cool to hear your description of that flavor profile even in a well aged cigar.

Great review. I think I'm going to have one of my older Familiars tonight.