Ramon Allones Petit Corona

No, not the Small Club Coronas. I'm enjoying one of those right now from a 2012 box that is already very, very good and it made me wonder if anyone here used to enjoy or still does enjoy the RA Petit Corona that was discontinued around 2002.

This isn't a thinly veiled attempt to find some, but rather some genuine curiosity about a cigar I suspect I would have enjoyed before it was discontinued.

If any of you have any experience with it, I'd be keen to hear about it.

Thanks.

I have smoked a bunch of these and bought a few boxes when they were rumored to be on the way out. As a matter of fact, I just opened a new box a couple months back.

I think they are phenomenal cigars! Of course there is hardly a PC (perhaps short of RyJ) that I don't like. I like them better than the coronas and I am quite a coronas fan as well. Perhaps I will review one if I feel the urge.

Generally they are robust, full bodied smokes, for me, moderately complex, cigar for cigar better than popular PC's like the Bolivar.

Frankly, I think they (the RAPC's) are better than 898's.

post-79-0-58883100-1391560409_thumb.jpg

Just my 2 cts. -Piggy

• Like 2

No, not the Small Club Coronas. I'm enjoying one of those right now from a 2012 box that is already very, very good and it made me wonder if anyone here used to enjoy or still does enjoy the RA Petit Corona that was discontinued around 2002.

This isn't a thinly veiled attempt to find some, but rather some genuine curiosity about a cigar I suspect I would have enjoyed before it was discontinued.

If any of you have any experience with it, I'd be keen to hear about it.

Thanks.

These are extremely rare. I've only seen two boxes come up for sale in over 5 years, one of which I purchased and is resting nicely in my locker.

I have smoked a bunch of these and bought a few boxes when they were rumored to be on the way out. As a matter of fact, I just opened a new box a couple months back.

I think they are phenomenal cigars! Of course there is hardly a PC (perhaps short of RyJ) that I don't like. I like them better than the coronas and I am quite a coronas fan as well. Perhaps I will review one if I feel the urge.

Generally they are robust, full bodied smokes, for me, moderately complex, cigar for cigar better than popular PC's like the Bolivar.

Just my 2 cts. -Piggy

Jeez Piggy

You have all the cool, discontinued sticks

Just my 2 cts. -Piggy

I wish I had one box of those… I love the PC vitola, very nice piggy, very nice indeed.

That you have an opinion on what they "generally" are is amazing to me!

…well I am the black pig around these parts. You see, I see cigars as individuals not as brands or in profiles. I see favored vitolas, which leads me to certain cigars sharing the vitola. Typically all in the vitola have potential to me, some I have poor luck with and I say I don't like them, others I have good luck with and I call them a favorite!

Ultimately I rate a cigar as superior based on the numbers of them that I have smoked that are superior. Superior has no implication that each cigar is the same, that they are consistent in any way other than that they satisfy to a high degree. I simply don't believe in brand profiling. I have smoked enough, blind tested enough to know better. To generalize is about all that I can do. I like these cigars. They represent, only in a general sense to me at least, what I have described. I have never found a lot of dud cigars in a box of these. While I enjoy the PLPC and the Boli PC for example, they represent a higher percentage of average and below average cigars. I say, they are not as good!

Consistency to me is not in the form of any type of flavor consistency beyond general flavor appeal. Frankly, I hate to generalize about cigars. Any cigar you pick up, could be the best cigar you ever smoked… I generalized for the benefit of others reading the thread. To say these are generally outstanding cigars, is in fact how I would naturally describe them. That does not really say what most readers who have not tried one are looking for in a description.

I am certainly the 'odd duck' on this forum in my shunning of brand and model profiling. I venture outside my box when writing to engage a more populist model for the sake of those reading. These are pretty fresh in my mind because it was not more than 2 weeks ago that I smoked one. I have been smoking them pretty consistently for the past 15 years. There was a day when I would not hesitate to polish off a box in a week! I cannot afford that luxury now as they cannot be replaced. Not as a brand anyway!

Cheers! -Piggy

• Like 1

Jeez Piggy

You have all the cool, discontinued sticks

Now this is not at all true (unfortunately). I have simply refined my likes and dislikes quite some time ago. When people were scrapping for boxes of RASS that were in short supply, I was buying the RAPC at 70% the cost. I found that lesser produced and lesser popular cigars were the ones that I preferred. I shun gurus and ignore their professional opinions, and therefore followed my own tastes. In doing that, I found myself smoking thinner ring cigars, Diplomaticos, RG's, PC's and not robustos, lonsdales and not DC's… Buying what was popular never penned out well for me. Buying '99-'00 vintage, when people who were complaining were largely doing so based on populist cigars, was a windfall for me! The best Boli CE I ever smoked came from a box of '99's.

I have almost always found that tacking against the prevailing wind has served me well. I tried following, like most neophytes before I knew any better. I found out that leading was better! Better for my smoking experience anyway!!!

Darwin has his theory of natural selection… and Piggy has his!!! Piggy believes that cigars have not evolved for the better. Better taste, no way. Better profit, well, that is probably the case!

-the Pig

• Like 1

I just wasn't thoroughly impressed with the RAPCs that I purchased a while back. I ended up passing them on to someone else.

The best RAs I've ever had were 1999 RASS and Coronas in a dress box.