Humidor Advice Please

Hello fellow BOTLs and SOTLs, I just picked up this cabinet humidor from a friend of mine. It is custom made out of African Mahogany and especially made for cigars. My only concern is, even the interior is made of African Mahogany. I've read elsewhere that African Mahogany is perfectly fine for the interior. The previous owner says he never had a problem with it. My question is, do you guys recommend having it lined with Spanish Cedar? I trust the this community and the knowledge and expertise in this community so any advice would be appreciated! confused.gif

post-19285-0-56826100-1388435134_thumb.jpost-19285-0-88319800-1388435161_thumb.j

Sorry about the sideway pictures, I didn't know how to rotate them.

I really like the aromatic qualities of Spanish cedar, and add loads of it to all my storage units for that reason. As for performance, it looks like a beautiful cabinet! I hope it works very well for you

Mahogany is a wonderful wood and cigar friendly. Cedrela is a genus of mahogany! In other words, Spanish cedar is mahogany. You would simply be covering one mahogany with another!

Nice humidor. Good luck with it. -Piggy

Thank you for the education. Didn't know Spanish cedar was mahogany!

I really like the aromatic qualities of Spanish cedar, and add loads of it to all my storage units for that reason. As for performance, it looks like a beautiful cabinet! I hope it works very well for you

Yeah, I love the aroma of Spanish cedar also. I feel much better with PigFish's response that mahogany is cigar friendly. I can always add a couple of Spanish cedar shelves for aroma.

Mahogany is a wonderful wood and cigar friendly. Cedrela is a genus of mahogany! In other words, Spanish cedar is mahogany. You would simply be covering one mahogany with another!

Nice humidor. Good luck with it. -Piggy

I came here to say this. Enjoy your beautiful cabinet.

African Mahagony will absolutely ruin any cigar you store in that thing. Tell you what, I'll take it off your hands. Could use some more firewood this winter, Hear African Mahahony burns exceptionally well. You will be doing a great service by sending that to me. I'll even pay for the shipping.

post-79-0-63472200-1388456686_thumb.jpg

I am far from a professional woodworker but I know my way around woodworking and have worked with both Spanish cedar and mahogany many times. This is a picture of both woods, some has been finish plained and some not. I never throw anything away… This is some project overstock.

The woods are very similar including aroma when working. I actually prefer to work with mahogany, it is very dense wood and quite heavy. I have found a lot of density variation in Spanish cedar whereas I have found that mahogany is quite uniform at least from my supplier.

In examining Cuban wood boxes, I have come to doubt that the plywood that they use is exclusively Spanish cedar but I am talking though my hat… I don't really know. I could swear that many divider sheets that I have encountered are not Spanish cedar, but again, I am not a professional on this subject. I could very well be mistaken.

What you don't want is Tennessee aromatic cedar. Aromatic cedar is a juniper and the wood has toxins. Don't get aromatic cedar cause you like the smell….

Cheers! -PIggy

African Mahagony will absolutely ruin any cigar you store in that thing. Tell you what, I'll take it off your hands. Could use some more firewood this winter, Hear African Mahahony burns exceptionally well. You will be doing a great service by sending that to me. I'll even pay for the shipping.

Wow!!! You have winter in Mobile Alabama???? Who knew?

In examining Cuban wood boxes, I have come to doubt that the plywood that they use is exclusively Spanish cedar but I am talking though my hat… I don't really know. I could swear that many divider sheets that I have encountered are not Spanish cedar, but again, I am not a professional on this subject. I could very well be mistaken.

Right you are! Apparently in '97 they switched to just a cedar veneer, the plywood itself is probably pine or oak or some other inexpensive wood.

http://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/info-packaging.htm

Thanks for your generous offer stogieluver but I couldn't do such an injustice to you!! Make you pay a ton of money for shipping for lumber that you wanna throw in the fireplace. I think i'll just keep it and burn it myself. After all, winters are much colder here in Montreal than in Alabama. cool.png

• 2 months later...

Yes avoid southern red cedar as the oils are quite toxic. I once spent an entire day planing cedar sans mask and it was a mistake. I was laid out feeling sick and nauseous for 24 hrs or so. Stick to Spanish or my favorite - mahogany.

• 2 weeks later...