Cedar or no Cedar...that is the question

So I have been looking around for a new humidor cabinet and have even thought about building one myself. The only problem was that Spanish Cedar is just about impossible to find in Sweden.

In my search for something that fits both my taste and my wallet (spanish cedar is really expensive in Europe, i.e. large cabinets (2000 cigars) are in the 1500-2000 euro range), I have read and heard numerous discussions about the benefits or even downsides of storing your cigars inside humidors with ceder trays, lining etc.

In some arguments against cedar, some people even use the fact that Davidoff uses Mahogny and not Spanish Cedar in their humidors was because Zino Davidoff did not like to have his cigars "tainted" by the aroma of cedar. Mahogny has similar humidity storage/regulating capabilities minus the smell.

So when I set off to find a new cabinet I was 100% convinced that it had to be lined with cedar or it was crap. Now I'm not so sure anymore.

I would love to hear your opinions/thoughts about this!

I remembering reading somewhere that Spanish cedar is actually a type of mahogany. I'm sure someone else more knowledgeable can confirm this.

• Like 1

Zino Davidoff did not like to have his cigars "tainted" by the aroma of cedar. Mahogny has similar humidity storage/regulating capabilities minus the smell.

I remembering reading somewhere that Spanish cedar is actually a type of mahogany. I'm sure someone else more knowledgeable can confirm this.

Spanish "cedar" is a type of mahogany, so find whatever is within your budget.

Interesting never knew all that.

Personally, I love what cedar imparts to my cigars, it seems to add another dimension without being linear or boring - it always melds in interesting ways.

And don't forget that Zino was slightly mad. Enormously influential, yes, but a little bonkers. Rarely smoked cigars, more of a cigarette smoker.

Spanish "cedar" is a type of mahogany, so find whatever is within your budget.

It's true, spanish cedar is neither spanish nor real cedar but rather a type of mahogny. The difference between it and mahogny is the smell. However, is there a risk for "destroying" quality cigars if stored inside cedar for a long time? Should one put boxes in ziploc bags in that case?

In brief, no - I don't think so. Cedar has been the de facto material for cigar storage for a long time, so I think history would have gone against it some time ago if that was the case.

It's an interesting question though, and maybe some experimentation is in order. Personally, I don't worry about it too much - I'm perfectly happy with the results of cedar storage, and especially love cedar-wrapped cigars.

I've had a couple of guys use high grade mahogany in their humidors instead of cedar with no noticeable downsides.

Cigars stored in these humis for the last 5 years are smoking perfectly in my experience

Which I'm guess that using a different Mahogany just imparts different Flavors over time. Nothing Detrimental just Different

Spanish cedar is used for a few reasons;

It maintains the proper humidity levels

It prohibits beetles

It's scent properties

I love the stuff, and while it is expensive, so are my cigars, and I don't believe in cutting corners, or cheaping out when it comes to my cigar storage.

Luan mahogany veneer plywood it often used by those wanting to go with the cheap stuff

• Like 1

It prohibits beetles

It's scent properties

I love the stuff, and while it is expensive, so are my cigars, and I don't believe in cutting corners, or cheaping out when it comes to my cigar storage.

Luan mahogany veneer plywood it often used by those wanting to go with the cheap stuff

True, a cigar scene notable once said to me that 'Spanish cedar is the antithesis of the tobacco beetle.'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are many discussion on the web about Spanish Cedar.

Rye put it straight forward.

Just my 2 cents...

When I tried to get it here my learning curve was depressing.

As I travel frequently to Europe I found a nice guy in Germany producing musical Instruments and having always some on stock to cut it for me. And at a fair price.

For me, yes I use it and go a extra mile for getting it.

For some more information about the wood itself.

"Internet searches I did myself to learn about the material"

Good article here: http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/silvics_manual/volume_2/cedrela/ordota.htm

"Botanical name: Cedrela odorata (Meliaceae)

The Spanish Cedar is a magnificent and noble rainforest tree. However the tree is neither from Spain nor a Cedar. Spanish Cedar and Mahogany belong to the same tree family. The wood is highly valued and is used to make furniture and musical instruments. The best and the finest cigar boxes are made from this particular wood! The aroma of Spanish Cedar is similar to cedar wood scent and is preserved a long time in the article it’s been used to make. The Spanish name “Cedro Cebolla” (Onion Cedar) actually comes from the strong fragrance that sometimes resembles the onion. The South Americans believe the tree to retain a power for keeping the evil spirits away."

True, a cigar scene notable once said to me that 'Spanish cedar is the antithesis of the tobacco beetle.'

Respectfully disagree. Found and caught one little s#cker in my desktop humi made from spanish cedar last winter. Thanks God it just made its way from the victim stick, so no big damage.

Respectfully disagree. Found and caught one little s#cker in my desktop humi made from spanish cedar last winter. Thanks God it just made its way from the victim stick, so no big damage.

It was purely conversational. But in saying that it's not really something you can disagree with. As Spanish cedar is known to repel tobacco beetles, but it is by no means their kryptonite. I would say the 'little s#cker' was already within the 'victim stick' and not the cedar. Very glad there was no big damage.

Back to your question;surely you would make your humi from the wood of your choice and line it with "spanish cedar "veneer.Much less expensive,and more in keeping with conventional humidors.

After a few years the aroma of the cedar in a humidor diminishes a bit,to really absorb it the cigars need to be touching it.If your stash is in cellophane it takes a long time to permeate the cello.

Zino Davidoff.........there's a shining pillar of respectability..............

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts. I think i will opt for the spanish cedar as it has been the wood of choice for decades and was my first choice to begin with.

• 3 months later...

It prohibits beetles

It's scent properties

I agree the specific qualities of the essential oils contained within Cedar are not to be overlooked for our particular application.

I built a humidor that holds somewhere between 400-500 sticks, I tried to get cedar, however, it was a bit of a hassle and expensive. I built the humidor out of pine and left the raw pine on the inside. All of my cigars are in their cedar boxes. If I was keeping them loose it would have been more of a concern to me. I have seen no adverse affect of the pine.

From pwhite: "All of my cigars are in their cedar boxes."

If Spanish Cedar was some kind of detriment to cigars, why would they make most boxes out of it and put the cedar sheets in between?

For storing full boxes, like in coolerdors or wineadors, I think it doesn't matter in the least as to material (as long as it doesn't impart some kind of undesired smell/flavor). The boxes themselves help keep the flavor and humidity stable. But for loose cigars , I think it best in a cedar humidor for rh stability, flavor and beetles.

I'm still relatively new here but not new to cigars. But my only experience with humidors is store bought Spanish cedar boxes. I've never seen any reason to do otherwise. Just my .02 cents.

Dan