How do you tell....

Like guy said, all you can say is the cigar you are smoking is not ready, the next one out of the same box might be!

It's a game which is part of the fun of the hobby :D 2 years is usually enough from box date to soften out any rough edges and prepare any CC for smoking unless you like the fresh style cigar, I've found it's a fairly reliable system that works for me

You can tell only when you have already experienced this cigar in its aged or vintage version…

If I get a ton of ammonia and tanins from a RASS, I can tell the box needs 3 years of rest because I have been there before!

But again, in this matter nothing is set in stone; you can always have a good surprise when you test 1 cigar from the box every 6 or 12 months…

its trial and error, the more you try then you'll know approximately how long a marca needs to rest, there is no perfect method......most say Cohibas shouldn't be smoked before 5 years of rest/age, others enjoy them after 1-2 years of rest, you'll just have to try for yourself to see what you like. personally, the more patience I have, the better the experience. check out the reviews by Rob and Ken, they talk a lot about the potential of cigars, plus they are very entertaining.

I'm still relatively new to cigars. I realize when I smoke a young cigar sometimes and it just seems to need more time but what tells you or helps differentiate when you think a certain box needs 2-3 years time vs say 5+ years?

Educated guess, The more experience the better the guesses but there's no 100% way of telling cigars can do strange things sometimes!