La Flor de Cano Gran Cano UK Regional

Ryan

Tried my first one of these last night. I got it from a friend who was at the launch in London last week who, as luck would have it, also happens to sell cigars.

Nice looking cigar, thin, quite smooth, claro wrapper. Nice oil, not too veiny.

Pre-light aroma, good tobacco, nothing harsh, "invitational".

Draw, the tiniest bit on the loose side of perfect. Very good.

No problems lighting and no touch ups required through the length of the cigar.

First few inches, started off with a tiny amount of harshness that went away after 1/2 inch. Main impression was salty toffee with a lovely chewy mouthfeel. Very, very nice. Not a powerhouse of a cigar but that's not a bad thing, for me at least.

2nd third of the cigar, saltiness has mostly gone away now leaving a more caramel-like toffee-ness. Just lovely.

I have no idea if aged tobacco was used in this but from the fineness (a more accurate description of these flavours than "subtlety") of the flavours, that's what it reminded me of.

The last cigar I can remember giving me flavours like these was a 40 year old Ramon Allones Private Stock smoked a few months ago that was fantastic.

Not a cigar for smoking in the wind.

Final third, still very nice sweetness with a little woodiness coming in now.

Nubbed it after about 90 minutes.

I know many people at the launch found it mild and that I can understand. This is not a cigar for smoking outside (I did, but very well sheltered on a calm evening) if the flavours are to be found.

A cigar to get lost in with that delicate sweetness. To me it's what premium cigars are about, a cigar that asks you to pay attention to it. It's worth it.

I'll be getting more.

Looking forward to the comparision tasting with the PCC Grandioso.

Pictures

post-3053-0-08206500-1382615629_thumb.jp

post-3053-0-63397400-1382615631_thumb.jp

post-3053-0-85829400-1382615633_thumb.jp

post-3053-0-77519400-1382615635_thumb.jp

post-3053-0-38642700-1382615638_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Thanks for the review.

Think I'm going to pick up a few singles of this to try. Already down for a box of the AP release, Like you say it'll be interesting to see how they compare. By your review though they sound like my kind of smoke!

thumbsup.gif

Just picked up a single today.

Punched it and it does seem to have a slight loose draw, should be fine though.. Just waiting on a mate to come round before I light her up!! peace.gif

Really quite amazing. I agree the tobacco certainly tasted aged, it definitely does not taste a few months old.

Funnily enough it reminded me of a couple of RA Estupendos I had last month from '07.

I hope the Grandioso AP RE are as good! hungry.gif

Been waiting very impatiently for these two RE's. I really like the LFDC profile and really loved the SR, hated the size but love the flavours from it. Also have loved the LFDC Corona's as well.

Andy how did it compare to the SR one's from 2010?

Been waiting very impatiently for these two RE's. I really like the LFDC profile and really loved the SR, hated the size but love the flavours from it. Also have loved the LFDC Corona's as well.

Andy how did it compare to the SR one's from 2010?

I like the Short Robusto. I haven't had one in a while but I remember it tasting younger with bolder flavours. Both good cigars but I find the Gran Cano more "delicate". I'm smoking another tonight, in a comparison with the Grandioso. I'll put up a review here.

I shared a box of these at a friends wedding in Belgium and even though we were smoking outdoors and it was nearly a 1hour cigar, I found it really enjoyable. Look forward to trying one indoors at a more relaxed pace!

I like the Short Robusto. I haven't had one in a while but I remember it tasting younger with bolder flavours. Both good cigars but I find the Gran Cano more "delicate". I'm smoking another tonight, in a comparison with the Grandioso. I'll put up a review here.

Thank you sir!! Really would love to hear how the two compare, the Gran Cano and the Grandioso!

Great review! I'm looking forward to trying the Grandioso out. I like the tiny print "Gran Cano" on the band itself- it's a nice touch. I don't believe I've seen this done on other REs.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...