Cigar Aficionado magazine subscription cancelled...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The editor made a comment without consideration of the time commitment made in inspecting these cigars. And we all know what time equals. I don't think there was much malice there in the comment, just an observation being blown out of proportion.

CA provides 15% of its rating based on a cigar's appearance and construction. The rest of the rating comes from taste and overall impression. I think we can all agree that appearance isn't everything, but it is something. Even CA agrees on this. And that appearance may or may not equate to a cigar that tastes and smokes better.

When sampling isn't an option, I'd rather buy cigars that look better, even if at a premium. But I'm not naive to think that their appearance alone means their gonna be stellar. I just take the chance in hopes that this is so. We've probably all had meals that looked great, but tasted like crap, right?

CA provides 15% of its rating based on a cigar's appearance and construction. The rest of the rating comes from taste and overall impression. I think we can all agree that appearance isn't everything, but it is something. Even CA agrees on this. And that appearance may or may not equate to a cigar that tastes and smokes better.

When sampling isn't an option, I'd rather buy cigars that look better, even if at a premium. But I'm not naive to think that their appearance alone means their gonna be stellar. I just take the chance in hopes that this is so. We've probably all had meals that looked great, but tasted like crap, right?

A nicely reasoned response. Thank you!

Wilkey

Baring in mind the comments in question throught the thread have by now been heavily mod edited and mucho back-peddling inserted...

Rob doesn't rate cigars on appearance. It's a combination of construction, aroma, quality of wrapper and marca qualities eg red hue in RyJ wrappers. The mod-editing instead of a simple apology even more so speaks volumes.

But time to move on, yes it's offensive to those who love foh and the crew but really no one has learnt anything new about the other place from this! :D

My only issue with CA's rating system is that they only smoke a small sample of the cigar because the sheer number of cigars they need to review. But how can you give a cigar is due justice by barely smoking the first third of a cigar then giving it a 94 point rating? Hence why i like the reiviews here more by fellow forum members, they took the time to smoke the cigar, enjoy it, take notes and a subjective rating. if i'm looking for an opinion on a cigar, I can fall back here and get an honest opinion from all spectrums.

Baring in mind the comments in question throught the thread have by now been heavily mod edited and mucho back-peddling inserted...

Rob doesn't rate cigars on appearance. It's a combination of construction, aroma, quality of wrapper and marca qualities eg red hue in RyJ wrappers. The mod-editing instead of a simple apology even more so speaks volumes.

But time to move on, yes it's offensive to those who love foh and the crew but really no one has learnt anything new about the other place from this! biggrin.png

I have my own opinions about this, but this post is just factually wrong. Greg's post is unchanged from the day he wrote it. The moderators have only edited the thread to delete the links to this forum, nothing else.

My only issue with CA's rating system is that they only smoke a small sample of the cigar because the sheer number of cigars they need to review. But how can you give a cigar is due justice by barely smoking the first third of a cigar then giving it a 94 point rating? Hence why i like the reviews here more by fellow forum members, they took the time to smoke the cigar, enjoy it, take notes and a subjective rating. if i'm looking for an opinion on a cigar, I can fall back here and get an honest opinion from all spectrums.

This is also factually wrong. CA smokes more of the cigar then the first third. Incidentally, not everyone has the time to scour forums to read reviews. Like it or not, they provide a convenient guide for those who have no other place to get their reviews or don't have the time to read. They'd be the first to tell you that if you have a reliable source for reviews, use it. Also, not everybody smokes Cuban cigars. Remember that.

All in all, it has been pretty entertaining reading even if it is much ado about nothing.

I say settle this thing mano y mano.... Indian death wrestling.... Ayala vs Mottola. jester.gif

IMHO, the thing with CA is they are in the magazine business, and the ultimate goal is to sell as many mags as possible. By doing so they increase amount they can charge for advertising revenue. Are the editors cigar afficianados themselves? Of course, and they do have a lot of good content on line, and sometimes in the mag (dont subscribe anymore for reasons already mentioned) but the end goal is to sell advertising. And as much as they insist that the advertisers dont affect ratings, well, it seems to me that those guys live pretty well, and the ad revenue is the cash cow that pays the bills... so you can judge that for yourself. That is why they don't give a **** about the forum, as long as people are viewing the site... the more eyes that see it, the more money in ad revenue.

Everybody calm down after the weekend and realize it was blown WAY out of proportion yet? ... dry.pngcoffee.gif

I dont read the CA forums. Nor do i intend to to see what the initial post was about. So i am just commenting on this forum and this thread and i certainly dont get the feeling that people were worked up to any degree. I actually feel that most people just let it slide.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow....I've missed a lot over the past few weeks.

Catching up on all these threads after not much time spent online since the start of October basically. Logged on here on FOH and see over 10 pages of new posts since my last time on. So, I'm not too sure what's been going on here.

Also hearing from other members that somehow my name got lobbed into something in the mix in the past few days and weeks. Not quite sure what's going on. But I can assure you all that I'm a man of my word and character. The mods and admin all also know this (and can perhaps track my IP's). I only post on FOH, and only post under the "CanuckSARTech" handle, on this forum.

Aside from that, sounds like Rob has the forum behind him, and nothing further to rehash.

On a happier note, I'm setting back into Ontario now, at a base here, and getting to spend more time at home with family. Days are improving more and more.

Cheers all.

Wow....I've missed a lot over the past few weeks.

Catching up on all these threads after not much time spent online since the start of October basically. Logged on here on FOH and see over 10 pages of new posts since my last time on. So, I'm not too sure what's been going on here.

Also hearing from other members that somehow my name got lobbed into something in the mix in the past few days and weeks. Not quite sure what's going on. But I can assure you all that I'm a man of my word and character. The mods and admin all also know this (and can perhaps track my IP's). I only post on FOH, and only post under the "CanuckSARTech" handle, on this forum.

Aside from that, sounds like Rob has the forum behind him, and nothing further to rehash.

On a happier note, I'm setting back into Ontario now, at a base here, and getting to spend more time at home with family. Days are improving more and more.

Cheers all.

I think the reference to you was tongue firmly planted in cheek. No worries there. We all value you as a BOTL.

Well played Keith, if that's even your name, and if you're actually a man, or really from Canada!

You could just be a robot that became self-aware. I guess we will never know.....when in Rome, right???? You do the math. If the glove fits, OJ!

Free Mandella!!!!

Well played Keith, if that's even your name, and if you're actually a man, or really from Canada!

You could just be a robot that became self-aware. I guess we will never know.....when in Rome, right???? You do the math. If the glove fits, OJ!

Free Mandella!!!!

LOL. So says the man with the nom de plume!!!! :P:stir::innocent::devil2: