Cuban Quality Control - Veins the size of matchsticks

So I've just sparked up a HDM Epicure No.1; couldn't get a decent draw from it and I could feel the veins through the wrapper in certain spots.

I persevered with it until about half way then decided to pitch it and decided to take it apart to see if the veins were as bad as they felt.

Most of the leaves looked like they hadn't had any veins removed at all, the worst 3 are shown below - pretty much the size of matchsticks; I've removed all the leaf, these are solid twigs all found in the last inch or so....

I suppose you could just say this is Cuba being Cuba, but seriously, should this really be acceptable?

2013-10-06142143_zps32b305f8.jpg

That is shame. What was the box code? Would be interested to know if this was recent production as many believe quality has improved for 2012-present production cigars

It was bought as a single so thankfully there are no more of them. I'm not sure of the boxcode but presume it will be within the last 12 months.

The vendor is usually very good, it's an official habanos authourised source based in Europe; I've bought 3 boxes and many singles from them in the past and never had any issues with quality.

Wow,

impressive tree stumps, reminds me of cheap Spanish cigarrettes from the 60's, Celtas, had everything inside except tobacco ...

Really wouldn't expect to see them in HdM, and no, shouldn't be acceptable.

Also : don't think the vendor is responsible ( unless those chunks were visibly exploding the wrapper ... )

That's a real shame but what can you do?

Be thankful it's only one cigar.

The quality coming from HDM in the last two years has been fantastic (think about the epi 2s) so I wouldn't let it dishearten you.

I've had twigs like that in in a mag 46 that was bought duty free, I didn't let let it bother me.

Think of draw issues like this...

Some will, some won't, so what, next.

Wow,

Really wouldn't expect to see them in HdM, and no, shouldn't be acceptable.

I've actually experienced this a lot this year especially with a box of Epi 2's.

Now when I have a cigar that tastes crap I tend to rip it open to see and 9 times out of 10 I'll find these..

Also : don't think the vendor is responsible ( unless those chunks were visibly exploding the wrapper ... )

I agree 100%.

Its back to the quality control at the factory. Like I just mentioned when I have a "bad" cigar I often want to find out why it was bad, if its not down to something obvious like its youth or been too tight or a wind tunnel then you'll usually find either stalks like the OP has show or the other culprit green tobacco... it's one of these in pretty much every single case, just a little bit more care taking out the stalks and discarding the non fermented green tobacco would improve the consistency and QC tremendously, IMO.

Never a good thing to see, but I still will pick Cuban cigars over Non-Cubans. Non-Cubans sure have their packaging, marketing and construction down but have never come close in taste. Just my two cents worth.

X2

Every time I have a plugged one, I try to see if I can find and pull out any veins. When I do, they become smokable again.

That's my solution for plugged cigars.

Usually works for me too.

Its amazing how bad they can taste sometimes then when you manage to pull out the vein they completely transform.

I catch the end that shows at the foot of the cigar with a tweezer… and I pull hard!

Exactly. The vein has to be in the middle or it won't work and end up ruining the cigar.

I just feel the foot for what's sharp and stand out and attempt to pull it out.

I catch the end that shows at the foot of the cigar with a tweezer… and I pull hard!

Exactly. The vein has to be in the middle or it won't work and end up ruining the cigar.

I just feel the foot for what's sharp and stand out and attempt to pull it out.

x2