Hockey In North America

Hard go in Washington State.

Love the Jr. Level. These kids are still fighting for a career in the pro's.

Whaddya mean? Hard go? You live in Kent, right?. That's where the Seattle Thunderbirds play (at the ShoWare Center). They're WHL. Some of the roughest/toughest junior league hockey in the US. When I lived in Seattle the T-Birds played at the Key Arena and I made a point to go watch as many games as I could. Attendance wasn't staggering (I think 3K was a big crowd), but the hockey was always fun... even if the T-Birds weren't very good (which was most of the time).

The Seattle alumni include some well-known NHLers - Chris Osgood, Petr Nedved, Brooks Laich, Patrick Marleau, Cory Sarich, Oleg Saprykin, Brendan Witt and some others.

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sucks I always love watching Avs vs Wings Games. Classics. Maybe We can get a Classic Stanley Cup Avs/Wings Finals

The rivalry from the 90s and early 2000s was pretty awesome. The stuff of legend and all that. But, really, the Avs haven't put a team on the ice that was worth much since, when? 2002/03? Maybe Roy behind the bench and Sakic in the front office can help to restore some of that old glory... but they still need better players. I'm not betting money on an Avs/Wings final, but I would bet money on the Wings making the finals this year. smile.png

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

Whaddya mean? Hard go? You live in Kent, right?. That's where the Seattle Thunderbirds play (at the ShoWare Center). They're WHL. Some of the roughest/toughest junior league hockey in the US. When I lived in Seattle the T-Birds played at the Key Arena and I made a point to go watch as many games as I could. Attendance wasn't staggering (I think 3K was a big crowd), but the hockey was always fun... even if the T-Birds weren't very good (which was most of the time).

The Seattle alumni include some well-known NHLers - Chris Osgood, Petr Nedved, Brooks Laich, Patrick Marleau, Cory Sarich, Oleg Saprykin, Brendan Witt and some others.

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

I live 4 blocks from Showare, and have been to many, many games. I actually got to go to the closed tryouts for new players. What I meant by "hard go" is my son playing AAA level Jr. Hockey in Washington. One year, he was playing for the Wenatchee Jr. Wild, and we had to drive 300 miles every weekend for practices, and did not play any games in Washington. We traveled, (mostly Canada) for every game we played.

Regarding the Tbirds....love the team, wish they could play up to their potential consistently...

What I meant by "hard go" is my son playing AAA level Jr. Hockey in Washington. One year, he was playing for the Wenatchee Jr. Wild, and we had to drive 300 miles every weekend for practices, and did not play any games in Washington. We traveled, (mostly Canada) for every game we played.

Ohhh. Yeah, I can see what you mean there. Growing up in Seattle I knew what hockey was, but I didn't know anyone who played. Heck, I didn't play my first pick up game until I was 26 - a group of guys from work (Amazon) had ice time at Highland Ice Arena a few times each week and I joined in. That would have been back in 1999, just a few months after I bought my first pair of hockey skates. And some of the guys who were playing had played some college hockey at Maine and Vermont. So... yeah... I didn't fare too well in those games. But, dammit, how I do love the sport. And now living in North Dakota it's completely opposite. It seems to me that in North Dakota (at least the eastern part of the state) babies are popped out wearing skates already. I've seen 4 year olds throw tantrums because their mom or dad tried to get them to wear figure skates instead of hockey skates. It's proper. smile.png

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

JETS WIN! JETS WIN! and beat the @^$&*!# Oilers in the process!

I have tickets to the home opener against LA this Friday so I'm pretty pumped up about it!

Nice, Enjoy da game.

Ohhh. Yeah, I can see what you mean there. Growing up in Seattle I knew what hockey was, but I didn't know anyone who played. Heck, I didn't play my first pick up game until I was 26 - a group of guys from work (Amazon) had ice time at Highland Ice Arena a few times each week and I joined in. That would have been back in 1999, just a few months after I bought my first pair of hockey skates. And some of the guys who were playing had played some college hockey at Maine and Vermont. So... yeah... I didn't fare too well in those games. But, dammit, how I do love the sport. And now living in North Dakota it's completely opposite. It seems to me that in North Dakota (at least the eastern part of the state) babies are popped out wearing skates already. I've seen 4 year olds throw tantrums because their mom or dad tried to get them to wear figure skates instead of hockey skates. It's proper. smile.png

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

Growing up in Washington, I've never ice skated in my life. The only reason I ever got interested in hockey is my son, who at 5 years old told me he wanted to try it...it was the beginning of a love affair with the sport, for both of us!

As a Seattle Boy myself ( i was born there) I would rather see the city get back the Sonics. I was a Huge Sonics fan. NHL team would be great as well and I dont see why we could not have both.

Tough ending to a great playoff run last year. Sweeping the penguins was a thing of beauty especially after the Iginla trade flop. They look like they should have another good season but I hate seeing a team give up on a young top prospect in Seguin so early in his career. His style of play should be better suited for Dallas.

As a Seattle Boy myself ( i was born there) I would rather see the city get back the Sonics. I was a Huge Sonics fan. NHL team would be great as well and I dont see why we could not have both.

Please don't get me started on the Sonics. I was a season ticket holder for many years. I still shed a tear everytime I see Durrant play....but I digress....this thread was about Hockey.

I'm not a huge hockey fan, but, if I had to choose between seats on the glass, seats behind home plate, and seats on the 50 yard line midway up in the 100 section, I would most likely take the seats on the glass. Hockey in person is just awesome!

I'm not a huge hockey fan, but, if I had to choose between seats on the glass, seats behind home plate, and seats on the 50 yard line midway up in the 100 section, I would most likely take the seats on the glass. Hockey in person is just awesome!

Yae Baby!

The Bruins are the only sports team I watch all year, here's to a great season!!!

On a side note, growing up in Maine and playing pond hockey all the time it never ceases to amaze me that the Winter Classic is often the first time a lot of those players have ever played hockey outside. What a shame.

... it never ceases to amaze me that the Winter Classic is often the first time a lot of those players have ever played hockey outside.

You need to quote a source here. Many of these players have fun at the WC *because* it reminds them of playing outdoors. Where are you seeing stats indicating that most of these players have never played outdoors?

Cheers,

Greg

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD

You need to quote a source here. Many of these players have fun at the WC *because* it reminds them of playing outdoors. Where are you seeing stats indicating that most of these players have never played outdoors?

Cheers,

Greg

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD

I guess I shouldn't have said 'most' like it's a statistic. I'm basing this statement on the interviews I've seen surrounding the Winter Classic and on game day. I know I've seen several NHL players say they've never played outside before, Sidney Crosby was one of them if I recall correctly. Just an observation I found surprising.

I think professionally most have never played outside before because so few venues exist. I love the Outdoor Games tho. Super cool

Growing up I played both roller and ice hockey, a passion that stemmed from having season tickets for 11 years to the St. Louis Blues. Growing up in the early 90's the St. Louis Blues were in the middle of their record breaking 20 straight post season appearances. To this day some of my greatest childhood memories are from inside that arena, from having my name announced as a birthday boy to getting to visit the penalty box during intermission. When the 05-06 lockout came around we decided not to renew our tickets. I've been to around 300 St. Louis Blues games counting preseason, regular season and playoffs only 30 of which have been after that 05-06 lockout. I'm now not just a fan of the St. Louis Blues but I am a fan of the game, I watch about three games a night. It doesn't matter to me who's playing as long as I get to watch the great sport of hockey.

I lost a bit of interest after the lockout as well with my teams being, Avalanch, Red Wings and Wild. Now I watch local USHL watching who will be in the NHL next few years. May not be as fast or skillful but it is exiciting to watch with more sticking, checking, fights and occasionally a hockey game will break out.