Reynaldo Gonzalez - Elefantes (2012)

AlexOk

RG: 72 (Seventy-two!)

Length: 145 mm

Longfiller, Totalmenta a Mano

Note:

Cigars by Reynaldo enjoy an excellent reputation among the aficionados. Unfortunately, they are not commercially available. You can only buy them personally from Reynaldo at the Casa del Habano in the Hotel Conde de Villanueva in Havana.

Optics:

This cigar is thick. Really thick. An impressive appearance. In addition to this, a Robusto cigar is almost like a Perla. I can understand when someone in front of this cigar is afraid. Respect is appropriate in any case.

The wrapper is of excellent quality. A succulent Maduro, silky shiny and greasy. It has little veins and has a very fine surface. Typical of cigars by Reynaldo that cover the foot is not trimmed. It is merely folded over.

Elefantes1.jpg

Coldsmell:

The first olfactory impression is warm and spicy. I'm from sweet flavors of milk chocolate and fresh roasted hazelnuts. To a mild impression of chicken soup. Honestly.

1st third:

After lighting a distinct aroma of freshly roasted hazelnuts were developed. These were complemented by earthy-woody flavors very soon. There are also herbal notes of parsley and lovage. Overall, a very complex aroma.

2nd third:

In the middle range nutty flavors disappear. For it rise flavors of heavy cowhide. The aromatic part is formed by aromas of roasted spices.

Elefantes3.jpg

3rd third:

The cigar is so complex and rich that it is difficult for me to identify individual flavors to the end. But the primary impression is earthy-woody here. Towards the end the cigar reloads again properly. Slightly peppery flavors come to the fore here. Black pepper paired with laurel.

Strength:

Cigars from Reynaldo belong to the strongest cigars in Cuba. Among them the Cimarrónes, a large Pirámide, applies as the strongest. The Elefantes is located in the midfield. But it is still much stronger than any Partagás. Despite a strong nicotine content, the cigar leaves an extremely complex but "manageable" impression. But it is definitely not a cigar, you should smoke on an empty stomach.

When I was in Havana last year I was lucky enough to meet Reynaldo. He gifted me one of these and I thought I would have to spend the next two days smoking this and/or turn green and honk everywhere. I am also not a fan of large gauge but this was an amazing cigar. Absolutely loved it. Very complex. I walked the rest of my day in Havana with it LOL. I picked up a 10 to put away along with a bunch of robustos and sublimes. Thank you for the review. I look forward to visiting them again.

It was awkward at first but you get use to it (no jokes please LOL). Reynaldo cut it. I think punching it would be better.

How did you find smoking such a large ring gauge cigar?

Well, it's been associated with certain difficulties. For example I have no cutter, which is suitable for such a thick cigar. I used a sharp knife.

And the feeling in the mouth is rather strange. Especially if you usually preferred thinner cigars. And you have to keep the cigar in the hands all the time. Pinching between the lips definitely doesn't work. Duration of smoking: more than 3 hours.

Reynaldo cut it. I think punching it would be better.

Punching it will be an idea, but imo a "normal" Puncher will be a little to small.

Did you ever tast a Maravillosos by Reynaldo? It's a little thinner but with a length of more than 25 cm much longer than the Elefantes. Also an impressive cigar.

Smoked the Maravillas back in 2006 with friends in HAV when Reynaldo started rolling them - was the largest custom rolled cigar then at Conde de Villanueva.

Good stick, but honestly a bit too large for pleasure IMHO.

Took us over 2 hrs to "reduce" it to a Siglo VI size and after 3 hrs we put it down still the lenght of a Robusto.

Don't think I would smoke it today, but I remember it being a good experience and a good cigar.

Gruß nach Bonn waving.gif

post-4742-0-88557500-1378124051_thumb.jp

Punching it will be an idea, but imo a "normal" Puncher will be a little to small.

Did you ever tast a Maravillosos by Reynaldo? It's a little thinner but with a length of more than 25 cm much longer than the Elefantes. Also an impressive cigar.

I would punch multiple times like a venn diagram overlapping maybe 4 holes. That way I wouldn't have the cigar in my mouth - more like lipping it if that makes sense. Have not tried the maravillas. Sounds like a ultra marathon! LOL

Great Photo, Nino. Yes, the Maravillosos needs some time to smoke. But it's one of my favorite custom rolled cigars. I brought back a couple of these back to Germany. Some of them are still in my humidor, waiting for a lazy afternoon/evening.

Your smoking location on the photo looks like the backward terrace of the Nacional. Right? My favorite smoking locations in Habana are the patio of the Hotel Conde de Villanueva and the Cafe La Mina at Plaza de Armas.

Great Photo, Nino. Yes, the Maravillosos needs some time to smoke. But it's one of my favorite custom rolled cigars. I brought back a couple of these back to Germany. Some of them are still in my humidor, waiting for a lazy afternoon/evening.

Your smoking location on the photo looks like the backward terrace of the Nacional. Right? My favorite smoking locations in Habana are the patio of the Hotel Conde de Villanueva and the Cafe La Mina at Plaza de Armas.

Danke Alex.

Yes, you're right, it's the Nacional terrace after the Welcome Night of the 2006 Festival. Reynaldo had just started rolling the Maravillas and we ( Stocki & Bernhard ) managed to get some at short notice.

Checked my inventory, no Maravillas left, but I still have over a 100 Reynaldo custom rolled, mostly Salomones, Rodolfos, Diademas from 2005 / '06 and '08 in my lockers waiting to be smoked, so maybe we can team up and do a Reynaldo afternoon/evening here in the pharmacy or next time I'm up in Kölle at Pitter's ....

We can exchange the best HAV locations then ..... ok.gif

... maybe we can team up and do a Reynaldo afternoon/evening here in the pharmacy or next time I'm up in Kölle at Pitter's ....

A Reynaldo smoking afternoon/evening in the pharmacy will be a great idea. Let me see if I can manage to visit the pharmacy in early october. Long time since I've been there.

Great review, curious on date it was rolled?

I don't know the month exactly. I bought the cigar end of 2012 and I guess it was rolled spring / summer 2012.

A Reynaldo smoking afternoon/evening in the pharmacy will be a great idea. Let me see if I can manage to visit the pharmacy in early october. Long time since I've been there.

Fine - let's do it then !

Next 3 ANS will be : 11 Sep., 24 Sept. and 07 Okt. - let me know and I'll bring the Reynaldo sticks.

• 1 month later...

Cannot wait for the photos of this epic ANS,should be amazing.

No sure it will be epic or amazing but I am quite certain it will be fun ... party.gif

Starting in 2 hrs and seats still available in the pharmacy.

I have selected the cigars from my stock, Alex and I will have Rodolfos, Salomones ( Reynaldo ) and Diademas ( Cueto ) all from February 2008.

We met yesterday for a fun filled cigar evening and in the course of 5 hrs smoked both a Rodolfo and a Salomones - truly 2 very different animals and both extraordinary good in balance, taste and blend.

We both agreed on the excellent quality of these custom rolled cigars, truly amazingly good, and I guess Alex will expand on the details - I will do so on my blog.

Alex will do a review of the Cueto Diadema on his blog in the near future, I look forward to his thoughts.

Some pictures from the pharmacy last night.

post-4742-0-42293700-1381224155_thumb.jp

post-4742-0-09468400-1381224160_thumb.jp

post-4742-0-78886300-1381224167_thumb.jp

post-4742-0-27334300-1381224171_thumb.jp

post-4742-0-81771100-1381224173_thumb.jp

party.gif

Whether if it was an epic ans, I do not know. But we had a lot of fun and the cigars brought by Nino were great. I think Nino's pictures say more than 1000 words.

In addition to this I would like to briefly describe my impressions of the cigars.

Reynaldo Gonzalez - Salomones

In my tasting of the Elephantes I wrote that Reynaldo's cigars are very strong in nicotine. Oddly enough this is not true in case of that Salomones. We were not sure whether the cigar is based on a milder blend, or whether the strength could have been reduced so much during the last 5,5 years. In any case, the cigar was an absolute delight.

This cigar was creamy and round in flavor. Simultaneously, the cigar had an incredible depth and complexity. Flavors of walnut and warm autumn foliage.

There are also mild and woody flavors such as beech. Dark chocolate completes the flavor picture. A great cigar for a leisurely afternoon. Perhaps with a glass of rum. In total, the cigar reminded me of a San Cristobal from the early 2007th.

Reynaldo Gonzalez - Rodolfo

The second cigar of the evening was the Rodolfo. This appeared to be even milder than the Salomones. A fact which irritated me completely.

The Rodolfo starts with clear honey flavors that remain constant over the entire duration of smoking. Also a flavor that I would not necessarily expect from a cigar by Reynaldo. The same applies to the gingerbread flavor which was subtly, but clearly perceptible. Other flavors were sweet aromas of roasted almonds and roasted hazelnuts. A spicy component was formed by espresso, chestnut and green tea. White pepper then made the final kick.

In the end I can only say: Thank you Nino and Andreas. It was a great ans.

Alex,

my/our pleasure and great to have you here with us, welcome anytime again !!

Thank you for your expanded thoughts on the cigars we smoked.

I might have asked Reynaldo for a slightly milder blend of his regular stronger variation back then, but it was fantastic sharing the experience of opening a bundle after so many years and smoking such remarkable cigars for the first time after their rest period.

And getting such an expert feedback.

Gruß und bis bald wieder in der Apotheke !!

Nino