How long is your...

post-9032-0-79394600-1377973803_thumb.jp

...ash.

I am enjoying an H.Upmann Royal Robusto and trying to how far I can go. I feel like the longer the ash, the cooler the smoke and better the taste. Thoughts?

I try to keep some ash above the burn line but usually tap off the ash as soon as it starts to look like if is getting ready to fall. I have worn too many attempts at a "ash to the band" attempts. Here are a couple of recent pics

Jim

post-13548-0-90979500-1378058318_thumb.j

post-13548-0-94717900-1378058378_thumb.j

How does long ask cause cool smoke?

Less air (=oxygen) feeds the combustion, the cigar burns at a lower temperature… I always try to keep the longer ash.

I don't think this is the primary mechanism. I rather favor the mechanism of the insulative effect of the ash. A nice long ash acts as a "blanket" on the smoldering coal keeping it at a stable temperature better than an exposed coal. In this scenario, the coal is slower to cool and thus requires less frequent and vigorous puffing to keep it ignited.

I do, however, agree that a cooler burn generally results in a richer, more nuanced flavor delivery.

Wilkey

PS. With certain cigars, I've been able to keep the ash all the way to the nub. For example, Trinidad Reyes, Cuaba Divinos, Partagas Shorts, Bolivar Royal Coronas.

I don't think this is the primary mechanism. I rather favor the mechanism of the insulative effect of the ash. A nice long ash acts as a "blanket" on the smoldering coal keeping it at a stable temperature better than an exposed coal. In this scenario, the coal is slower to cool and thus requires less frequent and vigorous puffing to keep it ignited.

Thanks G - this fills in a blank from another discussion on the topic.