Just read that Cuba and the States may start mail service between each country. Sounds

like the two are inching toward a normal relationship which can only mean we in the states

will have access to the smokes from Cuba at some point. I would fly there in a heart beat

if this situation changes, it would only be a four or five hour plain ride from my home on the east coast.

No need to buy from some of the shady vendors (not this site) any more, just go to the source.

This is a very positive first step in what seems a long process. Maybe our (states) Pres. will

get this done before he leaves office. All BOTL's please wish us good fortune in this matter.

Cheers

Pretty sure it's not up to the president. Pretty sure that Congress would have to enact or change the laws through the legislative process. Considering that Congress can't even agree on what day it is, I'm not going to hold my breath on this report bearing any fruit.

Cheers,

Greg

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD

you can visit there now if you want.....

Also, I'm not sure I want any sanctions lifted. An even more increased demand will most definitely equal a severe decrease in quality control and increase in shortages. I'm very happy with the quality and the availability I have access to right now. What good does it matter if you can legally buy or travel to Cuba to get cigars if nothing you like is ever available and the quality and construction is horrible!

It's not like Cuba has a Fortune 500 mindset on re-engineering and executing an efficient business growth and development model.

KEEP IT AS IS!!!!!

you can visit there now if you want.....

Also, I'm not sure I want any sanctions lifted. An even more increased demand will most definitely equal a severe decrease in quality control and increase in shortages. I'm very happy with the quality and the availability I have access to right now. What good does it matter if you can legally buy or travel to Cuba to get cigars if nothing you like is ever available and the quality and construction is horrible!

It's not like Cuba has a Fortune 500 mindset on re-engineering and executing an efficient business growth and development model.

KEEP IT AS IS!!!!!

Where's the "dislike" button? I think it's insane that a cigar from one place is legal to have while another is illegal just because of its origin. That's beyond stupid. Agreed, though, that there would be a huge spike in demand that would almost certainly lead to quality issues, but I think that would be more of a short term problem. In the long run I don't see it being anything other than a win for us.

And beyond that I would like to visit the place as easily as I can visit Canada or Mexico or the DR or Jamaica. It's so close... yet might as well be a million miles away because of some law. That is also super dumb.

Cheers,

Greg

Where's the "dislike" button? I think it's insane that a cigar from one place is legal to have while another is illegal just because of its origin. That's beyond stupid. Agreed, though, that there would be a huge spike in demand that would almost certainly lead to quality issues, but I think that would be more of a short term problem. In the long run I don't see it being anything other than a win for us.

And beyond that I would like to visit the place as easily as I can visit Canada or Mexico or the DR or Jamaica. It's so close... yet might as well be a million miles away because of some law. That is also super dumb.

Cheers,

Greg

It's fairly easy to visit as a US citizen, I can get to Havana faster than I can get to Punta Cana, DR, and what about Cuba make you think the supply/demand issue will only be a short term problem. You think all of a sudden they expand their crops, buy more land, build state of the art facilities, purchase automated systems, quadruple the staff, offer a 401k, maybe build an onsite day care for the employees and even a workout center, a nice Christmas bonus???

NOPE

LOL!! Don't forget a nursing room for the lactating mothers!

It's fairly easy to visit as a US citizen, I can get to Havana faster than I can get to Punta Cana, DR, and what about Cuba make you think the supply/demand issue will only be a short term problem. You think all of a sudden they expand their crops, buy more land, build state of the art facilities, purchase automated systems, quadruple the staff, offer a 401k, maybe build an onsite day care for the employees and even a workout center, a nice Christmas bonus???

NOPE

A very significant percentage of Cuba's cigar production is already going to the US,

mostly through internet sales.

I don't believe that allowing US consumers to purchase on-site would have much impact

on demand or production,

The main result of open access would be better understanding of each other through face to face meeeting,

A plus all around.

For us Canadians, though, we could expect an end to bargain vacations....

A very significant percentage of Cuba's cigar production is already going to the US,

mostly through internet sales.

I don't believe that allowing US consumers to purchase on-site would have much impact

on demand or production,

The main result of open access would be better understanding of each other through face to face meeeting,

A plus all around.

For us Canadians, though, we could expect an end to bargain vacations....

That's not the point or concern at all. US is a massive market for them already, but once you put an LCDH next to every Starbucks or Subway, or every B&M in States carrying CC's, we are all in for a grinding halt. Nobody is worried about US citizens traveling to Cuba and buying cigars, but once something is legal it's legal, not just for purchase in Cuba, and with Millions of dollars at stake to be raked in, the Cuban Cigar will be sold as a combo with a Doritos Locos Taco and a Slurpee.

I mean, we have a hard time as it is getting Sir Winstons in stock right now, imagine if there is an LCDH inside every Starbucks!!!

Take the current production and multiply it by 100,000. Cuba is and will always be ill prepared for that type of demand.

Also like we just saw, one bad flood, and kiss anything worth a damn goodbye as well.

NOPE

I'm just curious, as a U.S. citizen how to you get to Havana as fast as the D.R.? It is my understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong, that you need clearance from the Treasury Dept, unless your Beyonce or Jay-Z. I know there are other ways of getting to Cuba but that usually involves flying to another country first. I only ask because if there is some other loophole then I would love to go.

I'm just curious, as a U.S. citizen how to you get to Havana as fast as the D.R.? It is my understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong, that you need clearance from the Treasury Dept, unless your Beyonce or Jay-Z. I know there are other ways of getting to Cuba but that usually involves flying to another country first. I only ask because if there is some other loophole then I would love to go.

Fly through Cancun, Canada, grand cayman or the like, depending on where you are at. If your south or central, Cancun is easy. Direct flights on cubana daily.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=19.390053,-81.404450

There are "Educational Tours" that you can be a part of, and be allowed to visit Cuba from the U.S. for around 2K..............this includes all the proper documents required by the Treasury Dept.

You are allowed to bring back, and legally obtain 100 CC during this trip............The tours are usually groups of 25-30 people. Most of these people ARE there for the cultural experience.....I guess you could cash-in on a nice haul if you paid for; then collected everyones 100 CC's at the end of the tour...........sneaky.gif

What Rush said, or you can PM, I didn't say DR in general, I said by the time it takes to get to Punta Cana (resort area), Dr, you could already be sipping a mojito in Havana and on your 3rd cigar.

There are "Educational Tours" that you can be a part of, and be allowed to visit Cuba from the U.S. for around 2K..............this includes all the proper documents required by the Treasury Dept.

You are allowed to bring back, and legally obtain 100 CC during this trip............The tours are usually groups of 25-30 people. Most of these people ARE there for the cultural experience.....I guess you could cash-in on a nice haul if you paid for; then collected everyones 100 CC's at the end of the tour...........sneaky.gif

That is one way, but not what I'm talking about.

I thought that 100 CC thing had been stopped now?

Cool, thanks. I was aware of the of the Cancun route, but not the 'educational tour' scenario. I will check into that a little more. Thanks, gents, I appreciate the info!

In response to having a LCDH in every starbucks can only be a plus. If the states and Cuba reestablished relations don't

you think that the states would provide all the equipment needed to expand and icrease the volume f smokes. Can only

be a win win situation for all. Hendrik Kelner and the rest of the crew at Davidoff are ready to jump

back in to Cuba at a moments notice. They can't wait for this change to come about. I'm sure many more groups are

waiting to relocate at the drop of a hat. cheers

... but once something is legal it's legal, not just for purchase in Cuba, and with Millions of dollars at stake to be raked in, the Cuban Cigar will be sold as a combo with a Doritos Locos Taco and a Slurpee.

I mean, we have a hard time as it is getting Sir Winstons in stock right now, imagine if there is an LCDH inside every Starbucks!!!...

cat_lcdh-vi.png

I can't tell if you're being hyperbolic for the sake of satire or if you actually think there would be an LCDH in every Starbucks.

Cigar smokers in the US are having more and more trouble finding places to smoke and/or B&Ms from whom they can purchase their smokes. We're not in 1994 anymore. Cigars are hardly as popular or mainstream as they were 20 years ago.

Why do you think Cuba would implode simply because of the embargo being lifted? Why do you think there would be some sort of long term increase in cigar smokers in the US? Why do you think those who like NCs would stop smoking NCs? Again, I agree there would be a hit in the short-term, but the novelty of CCs would wear off pretty quickly I would think. Tobacco seems to be losing ground every singe day. Why would the lifting of the embargo completely reverse that to the point we see an LCDH in every Starbuck's?

~ Greg ~

It would be interesting if anyone has any information on how many Cuban ciagrs actually go to the US. I know Europe is still the largest market but beyond that I don't know. I would imagine the number of fakes smoked in the US far outweighs the number of genuine.

I don't have stats but from my experience, a fair amount.