Lazaro Batista Miranda

Hi Everyone,

Is anyone familiar with this roller or his custom cigars? Supposedly a master roller with a management role at the Upmann factory. He is currently doing the rounds here on the West Coast and I am wondering if it is worth picking up any of his cigars. I checked the net but not a lot of info on him. Any input would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

I know he's heading this way soon as well. While its great to see a master torcedor at his craft, I don't know how well his supplies handle the "rock-star lifestyle" while on such an extensive tour. I have no idea what types/quality of leaf he has sent with him. I will attend just to show support, and as a fan, but I won't buy more than 1 or 2 cigars.

Just wanted to provide an update for any fellow Canucks who might find Lazaro in their local shop soon. The shop I went to was promoting him as the guy who taught Hamlet how to roll. Hamlet's customs are some of my abolute favourites and I always like to support the Cuban rollers when they travel so I picked up my limit of two torpedos. He was rolling these and robustos. He appeared to be quite skilled however I have to say my cigars feel very underfilled with soft spots. I haven't smoked any yet as they seem quite wet to me but based solely on construction, these are no where near Hamlet's customs! Hoping for a pleasant surprise when I get around to smoking one. Always nice to see a roller work his magic in person, worth the visit for that alone I suppose!

I have always wondered about touring master rollers, and the status of their cigars. Surely it comes down to the materials they use far more than the quality of their art? Once they reach a certain level (8+?), surely each and every one of them can roll a damn fine cigar with their eyes closed. If they are simply given a bunch of leaves to take on tour then, then surely their quality/blend is much more important than the skill of the roller.

Or is it the case that individual rollers are able to select their own blend? In which case, it makes far more sense...

I went saw Lazaro roll yesterday at the local shop here in Vancouver, I ended up buying 2 cigars from him, 1 robusto and 1 torpedo (max. limit). Construction of the cigar seems pretty good, not too tight not too firm. I think some people got under filled cigars because there only had limited amounts of tobacco leaves to work with and a certain amount of cigars the shop wanted him to roll..

Anyways, took the cigar down fishing with me that afternoon and enjoyed the Robusto. This cigar had quite of bit of power! I'd say its more of a after dinner time cigar, I think this cigar would benefit from some aging too. Not going to review the cigar or anything, because of my not so experienced pallet. It stared off at just under full bodied then mellowed down to medium then at the end up to full! nice flavors you'd expect in a cuban, but i couldn't nub it, got too harsh and powerful, almost felt the nicotine overdose lol! Either then that not a bad cigar...

Thanks for the update... I was considering coming up from the Seattle area but just couldn't do it with my schedule. Even if they are not well-known rollers, it's still nice to support them. But on the other hand, if we boycotted them maybe Hamlet would be allowed to tour again! LOL

Well, it was a great experience, and this year, he is rolling with H Upmann leaf instead of the RyJ leaves in the past visits.

Lazaro is a very easy going guy, and his Calgary translator was just as easy on the eyes, as she was to speak with.

I was lucky to be allowed more hands on than what is normally accepted, and this made my year!

Blending to your strength desires, or as in my case, to my leaf blend requests.

I will let mine rest, as advised, but I can't wait to light them! post-13208-13790396884154.jpg

post-13208-13790396983258.jpg

post-13208-13790397151404.jpg

" his Calgary translator was just as easy on the eyes, as she was to speak with.

I was lucky to be allowed more hands on than what is normally accepted, and this made my year! "

Um...more hands on what?

I am curious to find that out, Shlomo.

Lazaro speaks little English or French, but he did know the age of all of his leaf, and while the ligero wasn't sneezingly strong, it smelled beautiful. He was clear that this was "different than last time" product and he was pretty excited to be free rolling it as opposed to just rolling moulded plugs. It really is worth the visit.

The last couple rollers here have told me that they got their tobacco from Havana House here in Canada and that they did NOT bring it with them from Cuba. They explained that the tobacco has been stored here for years already. Is this true or was there a miscommunication?

Can't tell you what Havana House do but I know that when rollers come to this part of the world, the tobacco comes from Hunters & Frankau. The rollers are generally happy/impressed with it. The rollers do not, officially, bring tobacco with them.

Would anyone happen to have the list of places his visiting in canada and when?

You would think Havana House would put this on their website. The idea of the roller tours is to promote the hand-rolled aspect of the cigars.

Not much promotion going on if they're not promoting it.

You would think Havana House would put this on their website. The idea of the roller tours is to promote the hand-rolled aspect of the cigars.

Not much promotion going on if they're not promoting it.

I know out here it's been solely word of mouth and absolutely no ads anywhere. Thank goodness for the forums and social media, as no one would know about it if this was a decade ago

I know out here it's been solely word of mouth and absolutely no ads anywhere. Thank goodness for the forums and social media, as no one would know about it if this was a decade ago

Years back, it was advertised. I remember seeing ads for it happening at the LCDH in Toronto and Windsor back in the 90's.

Our newer / recent Canadian laws on no advertising for tobacco products prevent it nowadays.

The prices were;

$15- corona

$20- robusto

$25- pyramid

He was blending mild-medium-strong, or to your specs if you knew your combo.

I went with 2 Volado, 2 seco, 1/2 ligero.

Time will tell if I picked right

In what vitola Rye? If a corona, I would think it would be a strong one!

I had the torpedoes rolled. He had some decent looking wrapper leaf as well. With that large amount of seco, I don't plan on lighting them for a few years.

Maybe I'll wait until the next torcedor rolls through.

^^hehehe that was punny