Visiting Cuba - Returning with Cigars

we need more info, eg. from which airport are you returning to the US ?

I've travelled to the US with CC before, banded and boxed, never had a problem. If you're worried about it you can always get rid of the band/box.

we need more info, eg. from which airport are you returning to the US ?

I've travelled to the US with CC before, banded and boxed, never had a problem. If you're worried about it you can always get rid of the band/box.

Yes officer, I just returned from cuba and bought some NC's

king.gif liar.gif

Yes officer, I just returned from cuba and bought some NC's

king.gifliar.gif

Better than bringing back Guantameras, I think there's a special room in the airport for people bringing back guants moon.gifdevil2.gif

It's an interesting question, while remembering that this is a public forum and depending on what exactly is being asked, it's possible that you are asking members here publicly to help you break the law.

Has any US citizen here travelled back to the US from Cuba, legally, for example on a people to people or journalist visa, so that customs agents know where you are coming from. Does all luggage get searched? Are you more likely to be searched if you "look like a cigar smoker" as cigars are probably the most common form of contraband in luggage from Cuba.

I've asked an American friend who was there last year on a people-to-people visa to see what his experience was like on returning, or that of any of his fellow travellers. I'll respond when he gets back to me.

The friend of mine who travelled back to the US from Cuba last year did not have his luggage checked, neither did any of his traveling companions. They did not have any contraband with them. If you knowingly had cigars in your luggage and wanted to eat them through, you would have to lie on your customs declaration form, which would be illegal.

Came back from Havana through Miami last October with a few boxes and two humidors in my luggage. Not the first search or question asked. Yes, it is illegal. So is speeding. My research, and I did a lot of it, told me worst case would be for them to be confiscated and possibly a $300 fine. I was obviously willing to risk it.

Personal opinion is I don't think this administration has them under orders to confiscate cigars at the border. They are probably more interested in nukes and little things like that.

Eh, a little different, don't you think? I thought Americans going to Cuba illegally was punishable? Unless, it's an organized and approved trip/tour?

Yes, it is a little different. You shouldn't be speeding.

The trip was legal under a "People to People" license issued by OFAC and the State Dept. THAT part was legal.