Oily wrappers

Our gracious host recently sent me a few sticks, amongst which was a Monte 2 with a beautifully oily wrapper.

I have 5 Monte 2s left from a box of 10 I bought about 6 months ago which spent about 4 months out of a humidor. They've only recently been moved to my new fridgidor which maintains a solid 65%rh at about 17 deg.

They seem to have lost the oily sheen. Is the reason for this simply because they were not correctly humidified?

If cigars with that much sheen and malleability are placed in a humidor with 65%rh will they subsequently lose those qualities?

Cheers

Our gracious host recently sent me a few sticks, amongst which was a Monte 2 with a beautifully oily wrapper.

I have 5 Monte 2s left from a box of 10 I bought about 6 months ago which spent about 4 months out of a humidor. They've only recently been moved to my new fridgidor which maintains a solid 65%rh at about 17 deg.

They seem to have lost the oily sheen. Is the reason for this simply because they were not correctly humidified?

If cigars with that much sheen and malleability are placed in a humidor with 65%rh will they subsequently lose those qualities?

Cheers

The oils evaporated during 4 months out of the humidor. They will never come back, even if the cigars are carefully re-humidified.

Storage in the humidor at 65% RH is the best way to keep the cigars in good condition and preserve those oils.

ugly could smoke fab, oily could smoke ****, that's from my experience, you only konw if a cigar is good after lighting up, not before

peace.gif

x2

In general I tend to find the cigars with the oily wrappers take a touch longer to be ready to smoke, but worth the wait... the ones with very little oil seem to be ready sooner.

I have had mixed times with oily wrappers. I have an awesome box of PE RASS that were the best looking non LE CCs I have ever looked at but they smoke terrible. No taste and bland as heck. Not a bit of typical notes. However I have a very close box code to them that do not have the same sheen but smoke terrific. So Im not sure it always matters for what it's worth.

I Once had a box of PSP RASS that were absolute Duds! I also had a box of the lightest BBF wrappers I've ever seen and were cayenne pepper bombs!! Just a brilliant box! Who knows?

I have had the same experience as you on that one.

Cheers for the experiences.

Having smoked my first Boli PC yesterday, a chunky matte light brown thing that looked like it would be more at home on the bottom of the local swimming pool, I realised it's not all about looks... Not at all. Or price for that matter.

I was looking forward to the Monte 2 but now I'm a bit reluctant to smoke it yet what with all it's good looks.

I prefer oily wrappers all things being equal ... the problem is you never know if all things actually are equal. The filler is what really matters--they need to get the blend right and it needs to be constructed properly. If this is true in both cases, I'd take the oily wrapper though.

fokker4me, With they PSP RASS?

Yes, would not have expected that but have smoked 8 out of that box so far and all have had very limited flavor just not "Great".