weird and wonderful things from WWII

been looking at some WWII histories of late. two things jumped out.

the first is one for the muso's amongst us. they may be able to explain.

when the nazis invaded holland, they originally promised nothing would change - only improve. needless to say...

one of the things they banned was trumpets. other brass instruments okay but you were not allowed to sway when playing them. but the really odd one (to me) was that they banned anyone playing any note higher than C. the reasoning being that this would lead to the music of the devil. now i would not know a C from an ocean but is anyone aware of why that would cause concern? seems very odd. granted probably not that odd in the context of the entire nazi regime but odd nonetheless.

the other was much nicer.

after D Day, there were various other invasions of europe by the allies, including the americans landing in southern france. they were expecting heavy resistance and while there was some, there were some places were there was very little.

on one beach, the americans landed and started to move up the beach, expecting solid defence. suddenly, a single bloke appeared and started to make his way down the beach. the soldiers were very wary of this as they could see he was carrying something. but being just one man, they didn’t shoot. finally, they could see that it was a tray full of glasses of champagne. the americans were, needless to say, a bit gobsmacked by this.

anyway, the man walked up to the first soldiers and offered them a glass. as he did, he said, “gentlemen, welcome to france. if i may be allowed one small criticism. you are terribly late.” and then he turned around and disappeared.

apparently that is why that particular offensive by the allies became known as “the champagne campaign”.

..one of the things they banned was trumpets. other brass instruments okay but you were not allowed to sway when playing them. but the really odd one (to me) was that they banned anyone playing any note higher than C. the reasoning being that this would lead to the music of the devil. now i would not know a C from an ocean but is anyone aware of why that would cause concern?..

The Nazis banned jazz in Germany in the 30s. Apparently it was the music of jews and black people.

Banning trumpets and notes over a certain pitch, if that is true, would be most likely related to the official view of jazz.

Ken, as a related aside, there's a book you might enjoy called "Wine and War: The French, the Nazis and France's Greatest Treasure"