Difference between CC and NC

Hello guys I am new to the forum and Cuban Cigars since it's not easy to get CC in the state. I smoked quite a bit NC b4 and always had a bitter taste left on my tongue. No bitter feeling at all after finishing CC. Anyone has same experience?

Welcome to the Forum.

I myself have experienced bitterness in both CC and NC, mostly dependent on age of the cigar (Is it still fresh?) as well as weather or not you have dry boxed it prior to smoking?

Whilst I prefer CC's myself I do enjoy NC's also and have quite a few of them. Just like CC's, I stock those that my palette approves of and as such, the NC's I enjoy do not have any bitterness whatsoever. :)

There are many discussions about this very topic on the forum. Check out the search function and go crazy!

CCs...don't leave a foul taste in my mouth like NCs...

...I notice...that I tend to smell better...after smoking CCs...

Yes to both of these reports. My wife has remarked that I smell interestingly good after smoking Habanos. However, she and my girls uniformly tell me I'm stinky after having smoked NCs, even good ones like Davidoff, Padron, and Fuente (but not Ashton VSG). And I would say that NCs almost without exception leave my palate feeling and tasting dirty or muddy. This is almost never the case with Habanos unless I huff too quickly and scorch the tobacco or if I let it go out and then try a relight.

Wilkey

I can agree with your finding on the bitterness with NC's,

and with the fact the ladies around here LIKE the smell of cuban cigars and I often hear 'the cigars my husband smokes reek!"

My biggest finding is that just the thought of a nice cuban smoke makes my mouth water -

no NC does that for me.

The biggest problem I have with NC's is a lack of complexity. For the most part, and there are exceptions, but for the most part NC's are one trick ponies. As for bitterness, you get that with CC's if they are very young the same as you do with NC's. I find that your average NC is grubby, almost like a cigarette but of better quality if that makes sense. I can say one thing as this happened to me; if you start to smoke CC's regularly you won't want to spend as much of your money on NC's. I love a Padron every once in a while but I just can't justify spending a large percentage of my cigar money on NC's anymore.

I think there is some tar or some other soil composition difference in NCs that give the dirty taste.

Liga definitely has some tar added. You smoke an undercrown or anything else they make and it smokes like a salem witch trial. Those are the only cigars I have found little pockets of oil while smoking. Afterwards the smoke covers your skin and clothes in an oily film. My kids make bad faces at me the last liga undercrown I smoked.

Other NC cigars do have a dirty taste but not all. The Flor de las Antilles being an example that does not. Padron don't have the dirty taste. Opus X power ranger XxX. Just for a few examples. Oliva V doesn't give me a dirty taste, but also doesn't give me any lychee. So I probably have the palate of a billy goat.

do you guys think the bitterness is related to the cigar's flavour? For instance does Full body cigar have a better chance to leave that bitterness on the tongue?

Not that I've seen. I've had some pretty nasty pale or light bodied NCs.

The biggest problem I have with NC's is a lack of complexity...if you start to smoke CC's regularly you won't want to spend as much of your money on NC's. I love a Padron every once in a while but I just can't justify spending a large percentage of my cigar money on NC's anymore.

Right there with you.

You smoke an undercrown or anything else they make and it smokes like a salem witch trial.

Hell yes. A recent Undercrown was the most punishing thing I've smoked in a long, long time. Hated it.

Wilkey

Depending on the day, mood, accompanying drink or the environment, a non-Cuban cigar can be just the ticket for an amazing hour or two. In California, we smoked Tatuaje black label lonsdale (don't know the actual name) and they were great. Always enjoy an Ashton VSG, a La Aurora top of the line and anything Davidoff or Opus X.

My own collection is 100% Cuban but when in Rome...