Still haven't had a Cuban yet.

Sad right? I have a box or Monti's #4 that I just got but I'm told I need to lay them down for awhile. Waiting. In the meantime I suppose I'll smoke an Atabey tonight.

Take your time and let them in the humi for a while. I've bought a few cigars during my trip to Cuba last month i'll let them sit a least until my next trip there in a year or two. Got some Romeo y Julieta cedros deluxe #3 and some Rmeo y Julita #1 that have benn in my humi for almost a year now.....take your time it's worth it !!!

Happy smoke til then !!

Congrats on your first box of CC's! Mine was a box of Monte 2's and it was great. Most cigars smoke fine ROTT (right off the truck) so I would fire one up and enjoy it! Then try another one in a month or two after they've had some rest.

I guarantee you'll enjoy it!

I did the same thing. I bought my first box (LGC MdO No. 2) and was told to let it sit. I left it in my humidor for over a month for fear it wouldn't smoke the way it should and I wouldn't get the full CC flavor and experience. The next batch of boxes I got I tried one immediately upon receiving the delivery and one a month later...They both tasted very similar. Monte 4, smoke one. You'll enjoy it.

Light one up! Smoke at least one now. Wait about a month and smoke another. If it's better than the first one, let 'em rest for a while.

To me, long term aging is not worth the torture of walking by that humidor every day and not enjoying the pure pleasure waiting inside that box. Some cc's benefit from it. Some don't. Unless you are a highly experienced CC smoker, or just a cigar smoker in general, you probably will not even notice the difference.

I generally find that the biggest jump in better taste comes within the first 60 to 90 days. After that, I don't think that waiting for a year or two makes a lot of difference. Now, if you can somehow lay them down for 5-10 years, yes, most will take a jump in refinement and taste. But unless you can afford to purchase box upon box and stockpile 30 or 40 boxes in the proper long term aging conditions, you are just torturing yourself not enjoying those things NOW.

Life's too short not to enjoy a CC every single day.

Well first what are you waiting for??? lol Anyway I usually wait about a week and then try one if they're a cracker smoke well then you know you've got a good box if its a little off as my Hq RASS are then I'll wait a month and try one again. It think you have to try one within atleast the first month to know what you have then go from there if ya don't like it then wait another month and try another but usually after arriving within the first 30 days you should know or have a feel of how the box is going to smoke. I'm from the mindset that if a cigar is smoking good for your tastes then smoke them, why wait you may miss that sweet spot for your tastes. Good luck on your journey.

Agreed, try one out of the box. If it smokes well you are in for a treat. If you're not sure give them some time. Check the date code on the bottom of the box. Then you can see how long ago they were rolled.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I had my first one ROTT (PSP2) and I enjoyed it. In general, I feel all cigars need a month or so to settle down, dry out and acclimate to a proper environment, and Habanos may benefit even more as they tend to be shipped particularly wet. I wouldn't agonize too much though as it's not llke the Monte 4 is a $20 cigar or anything, just be aware that what could be harsh or lacking in flavor now might be much better in 30,60 or 90 days. Regardless, it will be a learning experience to note the difference.

As far as longer term aging it depends on the stick, but most seem to get better with age. I don't think you need to be a super taster to notice, but YMMV.

I agree with most who responded. Fire one up tonight. If you enjoyed it, then they are good to go. If it seemed a little harsh, then give it a few more weeks in the humidor.

Why not try one now? The way many vendors ship (Czar included), the cigars are well cared for and seem perfectly humidified when they arrive. At least then you'll have a benchmark. You keep building this up, and agonizing over when is just the right time to smoke it, and you're more likely to be disappointed. There's 25 in the box, burn one now baby.

I've had the opposite experience- I've smoked a few cigars shipped from our sponsor only a week or two after receiving them. They were horrible, every time. I've put them down for about three months and then they smoke just fine.

I've had the opposite experience- I've smoked a few cigars shipped from our sponsor only a week or two after receiving them. They were horrible, every time. I've put them down for about three months and then they smoke just fine.

Not cool mate.

Re-evaluate.

All mine have been shipped with bovedas and been fine. I give them a week just because thats what i like to do.

Not cool mate.

Re-evaluate.

Can you clarify what you meant? My posting was meant to illustrate that even from a reputable source, any cigars that are shipped need time to acclimate. Maybe I'm being overly conservative but for a product that was shipped from far away, I always let it rest awhile. Even stuff shipped 100 miles I let rest for a few days.

Good move letting them sit for a little while. The trip to Cali is a long one...no telling what they went through. Nothing wrong with wanting your first Cuban to be special. If you're looking for a good drink with a Monte 4, try a glass of Ron Zacapa 23 - one of my favorite pairings!

This can happen, no matter who they come from. Which is why folks say give them a few weeks rest.

I still however like to try one within a few days, and if it's bad, well...

it just makes the great one I smoke a few weeks later that much better!

Well fellas I caved to the peer pressure and lit up my first Cuban. This little sucker (Monti 4) packed a wallop. Lots of smoke and nicotine. Burn was great as was the draw. First 3rd was a little harsh bit mellowed a bit as I went on. Required but one touch up. Marvelous aroma.

Great call guys. Not sure I caught all the shuttle flavor profile changes that I've heard are typical of CC's but I'm glad I took your advice. I'll try another on a month. Cheers.