H.Upmann EL 2009 Mag 48's issues

Anyone one else have any of these? I have been smoking a box of them recently and every single one has very a very poor burn and needs to be re-lit periodically. mind your the cigar itself has is pretty good flavour wise! Just curious what the consensus was construction wise... my humidor is well balanced in my basement at 62 RH at about 18C day in day out....

I've only ever had one bit it was a great smoke. Got another in the humi so I'll have to see how that smokes. Most people who I know who smoke these think they are great!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

That is still an environmental or operator issue.

What environment are you going out into? Temp, humidity, wind, smoking indoors?

Do you toast the foot first to get an even light? Are you using a torch? Try a match or soft flame.

Are you puffing once every 3 minutes? It might go out in that time on it's own. If you are puffing once a minute or more it should stay lit.

Do you ash the cigar often? Leaving some ash on the cigar will help with a cooler smoke and longer burn time without puffing. Acting like an insulator.

Feel the cigar. Does the wrapper give just a little bit, but rebound under your fingers back to round? No cracking noises should be heard. No spongy feeling.

How long have you had the cigars in your humidor? If they are new to your humidor they can take a long while to acclimate. Especially if they are in their own box with minimal air exchange on the cigars. If they come from an over humidified humidor/store to you they may take a long time (months) to dry out through the whole cigar. This part is the most common culprit when you know your humidor has been steady. They came over humidified and the inside of the cigar has not quite lowered to the right spot for you.

I've smoked a handful and they have been normal in my experience. Some with decent burns and a few with razor sharp burns. They aren't the cream of the crop when it comes to construction, so I would say if you are enjoying the cigars don't worry about it. I am an OCD level burn correcter when it comes to my cigars and these don't stand out as being worse than average. Enjoy the cigars and forget the burn unless it's really messing with your enjoyment.

When it comes to the wrapper, some EL's I have purchased have thick wrappers that seem to make it more difficult to keep the cigar alight. My advice is to nicely toast the foot so that the whole thing glows before smoking it. It may take more time and butane to do, but at least you know you have a nice full even lighting of the cigar. If your other cigars don't have this problem then logic would dictate it's this box in particular. Enjoy!!

burn issues can mainly be attributed to storage conditions and construction, ruling the second one out and knowing your rh is proper i venture to guess you haven't stored them for very long for the cigars to acclimate to their new home

a lot of guys are very concerned with uneven burns...me? i really could not possibly care less as it does not affect the overall tranquility and enjoyment a cigar provides. i find beauty in imperfection and i will correct if necessary (i don't need a razor sharp burn) but i can't say i ever have canoeing or anything of the sort perhaps because i let the cigars acclimate for awhile

Ive had three cabs of these and they have all been fantastic ,just remember that they are Cuban so you will get the odd issue.

but for me one of my favourites

cheers

I bought a 10 pack and all of them have been great except one that was completely plugged to the point i could not keep the cigar light

These are some of my favorite cigars, when I want something with a little sweet flavor to it. Haven't had any burn issues with them, and I've smoked thru about 3 boxes so far.

@62 RH, it should burn razor I suppose. I store my @ 69 RH by boveda and they burn ok. I feel the flavors for this particular stick are more complex and intensity when the hr 69+

I have a box with the flame retardant extra thick EL wrappers. They taste great (all chicolate) but do need a bit of touching up. I've learned not to grab one when looking for a 'walking around cigar', I find they are better enjoyed with some time and attention available.