How time flies when you're having fun

I'll start by saying there are moments in your life which you'll always remember, and sometimes when you reflect on them you begin to realize how much time has gone by. Keeping in theme with cigars, there's yet now another ingredient added to the mix which can bring to light just how fast time goes by.

I remember getting my cabinet humidor in 2008 which provided me the opportunity to stock up and hold some inventory. Three or four or five years seemed almost an unbelievable amount of time to put on the cigars I was buying. I say three to five years because with all things being equal, that's what I was told is the minimum aging for just about any cigar to begin showing it's true colors. Well, here I am today, where I couldn't even imagine myself just five years ago. With a large majority of my holding inventory of cigars at three, four, and five years of age. As I take stock in cigars, I took some stock of life because it just seemed like yesterday I took delivery of my first 2008 boxes of cigars.

Back then I wasn't married and had no children just to start. So this past weekend I was smoking from a BPC cab with the famous TEB 08 code. Great cigar by the way, however they've always been. Reflecting on the last 5 years filled the moment, happy times and sad, accompanied by a good dose of reality. Point of all this.... remember time files, make the best of it. Funny thing, I would have never guessed cigars would help keep my life in check.

Very well put Dbone,

I see myself at the start of that 5 year period you mention in your post. I will definitely do my best to make the most of it and sure hope that Cigars and a few more guilty pleasures will also help me keep my life in check :)

Cheers for a great post and all the best.

Beautifully scripted mate .

Cigars are but the cross on the "T" the dot on the "i". People are the key, friendship, laughter, fraternity, loyalty. There is no room for tossers and wankers in one's life.

Great post my man. I know my life, as I'm sure others has, changed immensly in 5 yrs and while it doesn't seem like alot of time there is so much that can happen both good and bad. At this point in my life I often try and find the time to reflect, relax and truly enjoy what I have now and what I did have then and don't have now or vice versa and it's always accompanied by a great cigar now usually of cuban origin. Great post thank you.

Beautifully written. I need a little dose of that sometimes. I'm guilty, perhaps we all are, of getting consumed in our everyday stressors. Life is a blessing, though, and I appreciate you reminding me of that.

Very much in agreement. So much to be grateful for.

• 2 weeks later...

Solid mate. Get where you are coming from. Especially with keeping your life in check. My Sunday afternoon cigar ritual provides me with the time to reflect on what I achieved during the week and plan my next week. That relaxation and reflection time is golden.

Wow, very nicely written. As someone who sounds very much like your 2008 self, I hope to be reflecting on the past 5 years when the time comes.

I guess I get impatient with the cigars.. 3-5 years seems like an eternity. I forget that, especially where I am now in life, the next 3-5 years might be some of the most meaningful in my life and I hope my cigars will be there to help me enjoy the real things, my family, friends and life.