Monte 520 Ok I think I get it now

Received a single to try and smoked it over the weekend, I've been holding off the hype train for awhile but needed to see what all the praise is about. Probably the best Monte I've had hands down, I wish they all could be this good. This is what I wish the Monte 2 would be all the time, I've had maybe a handful Monte 2's that were close but far to many that were lacking. I was surprised that I wasn't as turned off to the ring gauge as I thought I was going to be, but it was a superbly made cigar and felt right. Basically it was med-full nice light spice and a wonderful cream, coffee which is typical Monte with a richness that screamed upper echelon tobacco. Got a little dark in the last 3rd but thats where age will smooth it out a bit. With the body I'd say they have 5yrs to smooth out that last half and then the next 5 will just be refining the flavors and melding them all together. I see why people say great cigar now will be even better in 5-10yrs and I totally agree. I don't know if they are worth the $20+ ea. but it'd be hard not to have a box and smoke em on special occasions, and to think of all the sales of these I let go by lol, but all around next to the Upmann RR another recent cigar I'm very impressed by.

I've gone through a box of these a little while ago and thought they were pretty good, I've had a single I got from a shop and thought it was fantastic. I now have an HQ box that's been sitting in my humidor for a couple of months and I've promised myself I won't touch any until I go on holidays in late September. It's difficult to walk on by but I really look forward to smoking one when the time comes.

Love the review. This is one of those smokes I've also been eyeing. I appreciate the candor about it's value, and how you compared it to the Monte 2. Gives me a good gauge of where it falls on my priority purchase list : )

I purchased a few singles and I love these Montes. Not a big Montecristo fan apart from the Series D LE2005's which I loved and miss dearly but these easily are a great cigar to have.

It was a very good cigar but it just made me think THIS is what all Monte's should be like but maybe I'm expecting the wrong things out of the Monte profile, it's been a marca I've never gotten so to speak. Like I said I've had a handful of Monte 2's that were as good and that's the standard I personally hold all Monte 2's to but I've had far more that fall short, just lacking flavor with almost no presence. So to pay $20 or more a cigar makes me think maybe they're holding all the tobacco back to produce these and go second tier for the rest of the line, Or more than likely its just a marca that doesn't fit my tastes but I like the cream. coffee, profile I get in other brands especially Bolivar but Boli's to me have presence they have body and depth, but I'm sure other people feel just the opposite. It's the great thing about cigars to each their own.

They are great!

I have also had 2 of these so far and have not been impressed. I buried my box in the back of the humidor. Maybe I'll take another look at them in a year or so.

Excellent when released, but have mellowed and maybe moved into a sick period for me. Won't be touching any for another 6 months. I agree I got Monte 2 on roids out of the best smoked early. But for the price . . . PSP Monte 2 any day at half the price.

I have also had 2 of these so far and have not been impressed. I buried my box in the back of the humidor. Maybe I'll take another look at them in a year or so.

The same for me. Bought a box, and the first two I had were nothing to write about. Letting them sit , hopefully time would improve the a bit, so that I can recover the good money I paid for these.

100% agree to hold onto them and check back in 6+ months. I have had the same issue with my Upmann RR's that everyone loves, but I have not had one that blew my mind. I am convinced that if you get a box of original release cigars you maybe have 2-6 months to smoke them before they go to sleep. I have a feeling that is happening to a lot of 520's right now.

100% agree to hold onto them and check back in 6+ months. I have had the same issue with my Upmann RR's that everyone loves, but I have not had one that blew my mind. I am convinced that if you get a box of original release cigars you maybe have 2-6 months to smoke them before they go to sleep. I have a feeling that is happening to a lot of 520's right now.

I tend to agree. I had a 520 last week that was not as good as the first ones I smoked about 6 months ago. It was still a very good smoke, but not as complex as the first go around.

My experience has been a very good one, the only thing that would take points away is the ring gauge,

anyone holding onto a cigar any larger than this is gripping it with thier ego.

But the taste and evolution has been very nice for me, I did try smoking one on the boat this past weekend and high humidity & heat did take away from the perfection, but very happy I have a few boxes.

I've had one from my box when I got them few months back. One of my top 3 cigars of 2013, even today. I've been itching to smoke another one but after hearing about all this sick period, maybe I'll wait until winter time.

Oh, and I need another box. sneaky.gif

Smoked my first 520 out of two boxes................meh...............smoked my second H.Upp. RR. and WOW.......for the second time! These cigars are so funny and just when you think you have them figured out...nope. I was expecting more out of the 520 but who knows...let them rest I guess. I smoked one of my RyJ Dukes from 2008 then other day with my brother and we were so underwhelmed the smokes it was crazy. They were so good fresh and now sitting on them for a while has not turned out. They were really flavorless. Ahhhhh....the rubic cube that I Cubans!!!

JD