outisde of Cigars....what is are your passions?

Like a typical Australian I am a sports nut. Being from Australia's sporting capital Melbourne :)... I am spoiled for choice. My biggest passion is AFL and Carlton has been like a really hot missus that won't give you any but I just keep trying. I also play senior football.

I grew up spending my summers pretending to be Allan Border in the back yard and find our current crop of Australian crickets depressing. But still waste endless hours in pure bliss watching test cricket.

My other passions are gym and fitness. Love playing squash.

This obviously conflicts with my love of cigars, single malt scotch, Jamaican rum, fine shiraz, pinot noir and port.

Favourite reading is easily the New Yorker magazine. Collecting antique signs and modern art.

Sopranos and Seinfeld.there is something wrong with you if you don't like these tv shows.

Love fishing Port Phillip bay for massive snapper.

Enjoy cooking Italian food and making peasant food.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just started watching soccer this year and am loving it. I needed something to occupy my time during the NFL offseason. I follow Arsenal and also Sporting KC.

During the NFL season I follow the Kansas City Chiefs. They've been better to say the least. Looking forward to seeing what a new coach and quarterback will do for us.

I also love computers. Built my first when I was about 12 years old and haven't stopped loving them since. It's led to a great career so far.

I've played guitar off and on for the past 15 years. I'm not very good, but it still makes me happy.

I guess my biggest hobby is learning.

Which lead us to spend eight months on a roadtrip round Scandinavia, Baltics, Eastern Europe, former Yugoslavia, and back in to Southern and Western Europe, where we learned so much about so many things.

I enjoy BBC radio 4 as I work, as at least once per day there will be a programme that catches me, and I will be intrigued by it.

The radio also tunes in to test match special, so I can listen to the test match from start to finish, and I still love to play cricket, and am sitting waiting for my England call up...

Another love is walking up the beautiful Fells of my home county.

I also love various forms of art, film from all over the world, whatever the language,

music of many styles, if it's good it's good, from Dvorak to Sufjan Stevens to ACDC to Can.

Literature from Cervantes to Mankell

Played guitar for a long time, and love to sit in some sunshine, and sing a song.

Good beer.

My current fascination is with Johnathan Meades, and Psychogeography.

Ah gee, where to begin. thinking.gif

Football: KC Chiefs, OU Sooners, Jefferson City Jays.

Fishing: Fly and ultra light, for trout and smallies.....

Furniture building, mainly period pieces. I'm a SAPFM member.

Hunting: white tails, turkeys and doves, mainly....

Antique woodworking hand tools.

Camping, tho these days its RV'ing, not roughing it. wink2.gif

Brewing: Bitters, IPA's, Belgian Ales, ect, ect....

Music, reading, gardening.................

Rugby (union) - played from age 6 to 36 this is my first year not playing - too many concussions, now coaching and refing, like watch ing RL too

my sympathy for your recent loss - that's a hard one - you must get itchy every time the boys take to the pitch. a cigar on the sideline might help... as well as cementing your place in club folklore!!

Passions, perhaps a few besides the lovely cigar, which IS close to the top.

Cuisine: cooking it, eating it, reading and talking about it. Love to frequent eating establishments of all types from Michelin 3 stars in France to street vendors in southeast Asia. Business partner gave me a Big Green Egg for Christmas 2011 and I've since tossed the Weber, smoker, cajun cooker and kitchen stove. Smoked salmon, pork butts, brisket, ribs, or chicken low and slow plus I can get it to 1000 degrees for the strips and porterhouse! Last night was grilled veggies and pork tenderloin. Hunting down the perfect pulled pork BBQ sandwich is a mission I'll probably never complete.

Wine: drinking it, buying it, reading and talking about it. Visiting vineyards in various wine regions around the world and perusing the wine lists at fine restaurants. One of my biggest challenges besides keeping the humidors stocked is filling the racks in my wine cellar.

Music: listening at home, concerts and clubs. Playing my 1969 Les Paul Deluxe time to time. Jazz, rock, blues, jam, classical, carribean, electronica, ska. I dig it all. Probably have over 50 stations on Pandora. My son picked up the passion as well and his band just played the Wakarusa festival last month.

Cars: Not as much as in the past, only have the G37S right now. Loved my old 64 1/2 Mustang convertible, powder blue, white pony interior and a 289 V8, shame I had to sell that one. Other memorable vehicles include the '69 Camaro SS, 81 Camaro Z28, '59 Chevy Belair and more. Even drove a Starsky & Hutch-like Gran Torino for a bit - girlfriend's car actually. One of my faves was the original Mitsubishi 3000GT when they came out in 1991. Still recall the officer's testimony in court how he was doing speeds in excess of 120MPH without gaining shead.gif Couple of freinds with Ferraris and Lamborghinis gave me a turn at the wheel as well. Nice but I'd save my spend for Habanos....

Deep sea fishing: One word, Grander Alley off Kailhua Kona. Also enjoy Costa Rica, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Outer Banks, Florida, Bahamas and anywhere else billfish are swimming.

Gaming: Vegas baby! Craps, blackjack, poker and roulette. Still want to get my Bond on with some Baccarat but haven't stepped up to that yet. A bit of an MMO freak, Eve Online incredibly addictive. iPhone games also suck the life out of me, Razzle being the latest.

Beer: I enjoy to homebrew when I find the time. Most recently brewed an Imperial stout and an Irish red ale for our annual St Patrick's day party. Before that a Westvleteren clone, one of my favorite Trappists. Had the luck and pleasure to be in Brussels during the annual Belgian Beer festival a few years back, quite memorable from what I can recall. A few years back one of my Porters placed 2nd in the southeast regional National Homebrew Competition so it went to the big show but unfortunately did not place there.

Travel: Still need to get to Ireland, only country in the EU yet to visit. Morocco, CR, Argentina, Israel, Brazil, Australia, Singapore, Japan, China and Kuala Lumpur have been memorable as well. Shame that I was only in Brisbane over the weekend. Missed the guys but saw the infamous deck - interesting neighborhood and grand old building. Had to go to the State Department and get more pages added to my passport at one time.... Cigar tourism is the best (a few cigar shops of note) though I've yet to get to the motherland, but will - hopefully before McDonald's and Starbucks.

Sports: Not a huge follower though I do like going to the occasional Falcons or Braves game, living in Atlanta - great fans. Enjoy golf and tennis - don't find the time to play much of the former and the bod can't take much of the latter anymore. Does billiards count?

Speaking of amore, yeah that! Great wife of 27 years and it's true they do get hornier with age sneaky.gif She's still maintained the same weight as when we married, it's now mine divided by half.

Literature: While I do occasionally read a classic it's more the mind-candy stuff I carry on planes or in to bed. Oh, does the internet count? If so countless sites, forums, blogs and feeds consume whatever free time I may have when I am not sleeping or pursuing other passions.

Work: Yes, I truly do enjoy what I do, especially since it keeps me in my habits. Between being deep in supercomputer technology while at the same time doing business consulting and starting a new software venture, it's a wonder I find much time to pursue many of my other passions.

Relaxing: Pretty much a master of that when I get the chance. Nothing like a nice beach, a cool drink, a fine cigar and a lovely bikini-clad companion with nothing to do but soak in some sun. Hanging out on the back deck when I have some downtime is second best.

Single malts and other libations: Big fan of the Islays in particular though I won't turn down a nice Highland, Lowland, Speyside or the occasional Campbeltown, Jura, Arran or Mull. Rum cask drams have become one of my tops though they're difficult to find. Best travel/Scotch memory was visiting the Edradour distillery in Pitlochry whilst staying at the Dalmahoy outside Edinburgh. Turns out that evening was the annual Scottish agricultural awards banquet. Met some of the main men in the barley and peat industry in the hotel pub, staying up well past 4AM sipping Scotch, smoking cigars and unfortunately discovering what men wore under their kilts.

Art: While not an artist I do appreciate visiting museums around the world, patronizing and participating in art-oriented events. I've been fortunate to be able to see works from most of the great masters at top museums around the world. Most recently visited the Crystal Bridges Museum in all places Bentonville AR. Amazing what the wealth of a family that owns the #1 Fortune 500 company can procure.

Maybe a few I've missed though last but not least, I am passionate talking about my passions spotlight.gif

Right now, I'm back in school so my studies take priority and a lot of my time.

Cars: Formula 1 is a big interest- I watch all of the races, albeit recorded on my DVR. I haven't been to a race yet, but Montreal is definitely one that I plan on attending in the future. Left Mans is coming up, so I will watch that- I love sports car racing as well ALMS.

I also like taking a car to the track and have been to Watkins Glen, Lime Rock, Pocono, Summit Point and New Jersey Motorsports Park. I have a BMW M Coupe and a C6 Corvette.

I enjoy fine spirits and have been enjoying a lot of rum (Zacapa, El Dorado, Ron Abuelo and Cruzan Single Barrel) as well as Bourbon (Michter's, Blanton's and Sazerac).

I like to travel- Montreal is an annual destination and I plan on going to Tokyo this year as well.

I used to be in the food industry and enjoy a good restaurant as well.

I also enjoy music with blues and jazz as my favorites (SRV, Clapton, the Kings- B.B. and Albert, John Lee Hooker, Miles Davis) and have a pretty serious home stereo system and a large CD collection.

Hunting (archery/rifle but I MUCH prefer archery)

Fishing (freshwater fly fishing being my favorite)

... Basically spending as much time as possible outside. I used to be higher into online video games but I have neither the time nor the patience for either.

long walks on the beach at sunset, dancing in the moonlight, world peace.

And gloves.

In the cold months, I always wear them. And always carry a couple of spare pairs in case I

get a spot on the ones I'm wearing.

LOL. Just not to share, right? :yes:

Any type of fishing (started fly fishing at 15 years of age), golf, working on cars (have a 1953 Chevy 5-window Stepside to restore), cooking, and full figured women. But as we all know, hobbies tend to take a back seat to life when priorities change.

Outside of cigars, I'm a huge sports fan. College basketball and football. As a graduate of the University of Kentucky, they are my passion. i'm also an avid golfer. Aside from sports, I love sports cars. I own a 2003 mustang in the mach 1 trim. I love that car. Their is nothing better then enjoying a good cigar at the drag strip on a Friday or Saturday night.

use to collect sneakers and have around 100 pairs but in the last year or trimmed it down, started really getting into the NFL in the last 3 years, Mondays are now one of my days off so i will get up Monday morning in Oz to watch Sunday night football in the states, did a marathon last year that was not to kind to my body during the playoffs lol3.gif , i have also been collecting NFL cards in that time and had some major Luck recently, here is a few pic's of what i got in a few recent boxes

[/url]733f0a5a-9f13-4da0-923b-6a24d2f9c410_zps092c7dec.jpg[/img]

[/url]ba93a307-45dc-4e3f-9db7-b971baee671e_zps4c68e74b.jpg[/img]

[/url]4b426e8b-0f9c-471a-876a-6c27fd9a2ca6_zps155398f0.jpg[/img]

[/url]cc662517-917c-44bc-87e6-f37808cc0cef_zpsbd21a64e.jpg[/img]

the Andrew luck i got, recently found out he only signed about 5 like this with the inscription "#1 pick" so was extremly happy to secure that

Being from Melbourne - Aussie Rules Football/Richmond Tigers Football Club - I even wrote the TV commercial for the club this year.

Spearfishing (member of Southern Freedivers), fishing, cricket, Chicago Blackhawks (should have been 2 - 0 games to Blackhawks in the second Stanley Cup game but for the ref and the lack of camera angles that clearly showed the puck over the line, bloody joke), cooking BBQ meats, beer, wine, restaurants, spaghetti westerns and samarai films, classic hard rock like AC/DC, cringey stadium rock like Gunns & Roses, creepy metal like Roky Erickson, some blues and Burt Bacharach.

Skiing, I have been doing it since before I could walk. I love participating, although i dont get to do it as much as I would like. I miss the epic chest deep powder days back home in California. I love watching the world cup and follow it as much as I can online.

Formula One, cant wait till the day I can attend a race. Going to Monaco is on my bucket list, but I do think it would be great to head to Albert Park someday too.

I love music, getting to listen to triple j everyday at work is a great luxury i thoroughly enjoy

I enjoy a good whisky/whiskey as well

Traveling, either to the snow or the beach.

College sports, especially anything involving my University of Arizona Wildcats. So excited for the directions the basketball and football programs are heading

I have a huge affinity for West Coast Chopper motorcycles. Someday I hope to have one of Jesse's hand built creations in my garage

The only sports team I really care about anymore is the Detroit Red Wings. I grew up in Seattle, so used to be a fan of the Super Sonics, Mariners, Seahawks, and Sounders (the first time they were around). Moved to North Dakota 13 years ago. Still watch the Seahawks when I can, but the Sonics are gone and I don't recognize any of the Mariners anymore.

My biggest passion in life is firearms collecting. The vast majority of my pieces were made during the first half of the 20th Century, mostly martial arms with some commercial examples. I've got more modern pieces, too, but the older rifles, pistols, and shotguns really drive my collecting focus. I've got examples from all over the world - US, Canada, England, Australia, France, Spain, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, Yugoslavia, Serbia, Russia, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Finland, Sweden, Poland, Argentina, Colombia, Israel, Iran, Egypt, China, Japan, India, and I'm sure some other places I'm forgetting at the moment. Revolvers, cap/ball pistols, auto-loading pistols, smoothbore muskets, rifled muskets, blackpowder rifles, bolt action rifles, semi-automatic rifles, O/U shotguns, S/S, shotguns, submachine guns, beltfed machine guns, the list goes on. The craftsmanship of these older pieces - even the martial arms - is incredibly high. Polished blue steel and hand fitted wood stocks. Fit and finish second to none. Companies today can't make things like that anymore because it would cost too much. And the history of these pieces - many of them have been there and done that. Would love to know about the previous owners. (One of my Swiss rifles actually came with the previous owner's info listed on a piece of paper under the buttplate and I was able to correspond with him via mail - making the connection with someone who used the rifle 50 year ago was a great experience.)

I've never been much into hunting, though this year I did complete my hunters safety course so now I can get a license for pheasant season this year. My Weimaraner pup is now just over 10 months old and he's learning how to be a bird dog. I've got a Swedish-made (Husqvarna) S/S shotgun with exposed hammers that was made in 1942. Looks like it was made yesterday. It's not been out in the field for decades. That will change this year. Looking forward to bringing home some nice pheasant and quail this year.

I love the Red Wings and I love my cigars, but neither compares to my passion for collecting firearms from all over the world.

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

use to collect sneakers and have around 100 pairs but in the last year or trimmed it down, started really getting into the NFL in the last 3 years, Mondays are now one of my days off so i will get up Monday morning in Oz to watch Sunday night football in the states, did a marathon last year that was not to kind to my body during the playoffs lol3.gif , i have also been collecting NFL cards in that time and had some major Luck recently, here is a few pic's of what i got in a few recent boxes

the Andrew luck i got, recently found out he only signed about 5 like this with the inscription "#1 pick" so was extremly happy to secure that

sneakers, huh? what do you have left?

i've been out of the game for a while now, but will never forget those days.

• 1 month later...

One of my hobbies is Microsoft Flight Simulator, adding third party scenery and aircraft and either just flying around for fun (as if there were no rules) and flying around seriously following patterns and charts and going by the instruments.

I also like getting that perfect shot and then photoshopping it.

post-15948-0-66461800-1374458422_thumb.j

post-15948-0-55774000-1374458439_thumb.j

post-15948-0-72875100-1374458415_thumb.j

post-15948-0-62538400-1374458419_thumb.j

I also place my own Red Bull Air Race gates around airports and rivers and race through them and also do a lot of aerobatics and just general stunts without consequence, can't do it in real life so flight sim is the perfect place for it biggrin.png

post-15948-0-66167900-1374458425_thumb.j

post-15948-0-28065800-1374458429_thumb.j

post-15948-0-91507500-1374458432_thumb.j