Cricket thread

Can anyone else explain to me why Lyon, who took 9 wickets and 7 in an innings in Australia's last test, would be dropped for a 19 year old who has taken 30 first class wickets in 10 games? Astounding decision. But maybe they know something we don't.

I think they knew something we didn't :)

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Agar will remember his first wicket too!

Anyway, after a test that will do nothing to advertise the quality of umpiring, or technology, I suspect England will get too many to chase down, particularly if Swan gets turning....

Yesterday was more like test cricket.

What a match.

Just watched the highlights, as I don't generally have the time to sit and watch all day....but the radio is always on!

The wickets of Clarke and Smith seem pretty key, but I still think it can be done, with the new wunderkinder Agar and the experience of Haddon, but I think they need to hang around.

Much depends on Swann and Anderson.

Australia haven't used their refferals well.

Cowan looks like a bunny at the mo, but is the only Aussie who looks out of place.

Rogers looks right for the job.

Sooner or later Clarke will have to stand up and deliver.

If England do win, they'll owe Bell a lot, nice to see him come up with the goods when it really matters.

The DRS test?

Shame it had to end on a DRS decision, but, exciting it was.

Bell and Anderson won it for us, Haddon played a great knock, as did Rodgers, who surely justified his place.

Great catching from Cook.

Sadly I've only been able to watch the highlights on channel 5 at 7.00pm pod.gif

I think its a disgrace that its not been broadcast free on one of the main UK channels. Especially the BBC.

The BBC needs to get its act together I pay my subscription fee, I don't give a toss about strictly come dancing/ the apprentice or whatever other trash it puts on.. It's a national sport. I WANT THE CRICKET!!! tantrum.gif (rant over)

Sadly I've only been able to watch the highlights on channel 5 at 7.00pm pod.gif

I think its a disgrace that its not been broadcast free on one of the main UK channels. Especially the BBC.

The BBC needs to get its act together I pay my subscription fee, I don't give a toss about strictly come dancing/ the apprentice or whatever other trash it puts on.. It's a national sport. I WANT THE CRICKET!!! tantrum.gif (rant over)

X2

Well, the second test aproaches.

Looks like changes are afoot for Australia...http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/ryan-harris-and-usman-khawaja-into-ashes-team-for-second-test-20130718-2q657.html

Understandable really, Cowan looks right out of touch, and I reckon the slopey old pitch at Lords might do Stark's head in.

The question for England is, stay with Finn or not? Personally, I don't know.

I would probs pick Onions, as I've always loved his bowling...but...http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-2366691/Ashes-2013-Alastair-Cook-faces-quandary-Steven-Finn-second-Australia-Test.html

Apologies for posting a link to the Mail...you could always wipe your arse on it having read it!

most aussies still coming down from the origin from last night. what a great game. and the super xv finals kicking off this weekend.

i'm sure we'll be fired right up come the toss.

usman has a heap of talent. yet to transfer it to test scores. hopefully soon. could have a good career. harris getting on and injury prone. they are keen to use him as much as they can but it might be every second test. they'll pick their venues.

What a day...

Terrible start, great middle, terrible end.

Australia with an advantage, England need another 50 or so to put up a defendable total.

Great cameo from Steve Smith, but some woeful batting by some England players..Joe Root is forgivable, but Cook, Pietersen, Prior...

Some good bowling to from Australia, the only bowler not on the money was Pattinson.

The question for this test, and the series is; which captain will stand up?

What a day...

Terrible start, great middle, terrible end.

Australia with an advantage, England need another 50 or so to put up a defendable total.

Great cameo from Steve Smith, but some woeful batting by some England players..Joe Root is forgivable, but Cook, Pietersen, Prior...

Some good bowling to from Australia, the only bowler not on the money was Pattinson.

The question for this test, and the series is; which captain will stand up?

i watched till midway through the second session when bairstow had gotten a start. Woke up to see that finally we'd given smith a bowl and he'd grabbed 3 wickets. Boy we miss Warnie!

It was good to see Harris get a result for quality line and length early. Pattinson was not bowling well and we gave away, just like at Trent Bridge, too many boundaries. I thought the call to bowl Watson early was a good move especially when he was retired to the slips again after only a short first spell. We need a good start tonight, and to be chasing a total less than low 300's. anything more than that and the batsmen will be feeling the pressure when we get out there. Hoping we can get a good start, and i have a gut feeling that Watson and Rogers will male some runs. Well my fingers will be crossed tonight anyway!

One thing that i am enjoying is listening to the English commentary. Holding, Hussain and Lloyd are a fresh change to the Channel 9 aussie team we've been stuck with in the past. I am missing Ritchie, and a special shout out for Tony Greig of course! It's on free to air over here which is a pleasant surprise. Not sure if this will continue when the Australian leg commences. I have a ticket to the Gabba test, so looking forward to our summer!

I haven't figured out yet why we're playing 2 consec series this year? Something must be out of whack for this to be happening?

One thing that i am enjoying is listening to the English commentary. Holding, Hussain and Lloyd are a fresh change to the Channel 9 aussie team we've been stuck with in the past. I am missing Ritchie, and a special shout out for Tony Greig of course! It's on free to air over here which is a pleasant surprise. Not sure if this will continue when the Australian leg commences. I have a ticket to the Gabba test, so looking forward to our summer!

I haven't figured out yet why we're playing 2 consec series this year? Something must be out of whack for this to be happening?

Pleased to hear you are getting the cricket for free.

We don't ....good ol Rupert Murdoch wants the money, which I won't give him.

But, I kind of prefer the radio while I'm working, and can ocaisionaly get a live stream off the Internet.

I agree, I think one partnership will work for you...be it Watson/Rodgers or Clarke....as I said, one of the captains will come to the party in this match.

one thing that is beyond me is, given that no doubt broad is the better batsman, did he really want a nightwatchman? for christ's sake, he is number 9! that is beyond absurd. he my have an ego to match kevin crudd. shame on cook for allowing it.

i did like the twit from broad the other day talking about how the team went off and had a great day at a golf club. finished by mentioning how they all hired buggies. someone twitted back 'still not walking?'

one thing that is beyond me is, given that no doubt broad is the better batsman, did he really want a nightwatchman? for christ's sake, he is number 9! that is beyond absurd. he my have an ego to match kevin crudd. shame on cook for allowing it.

i did like the twit from broad the other day talking about how the team went off and had a great day at a golf club. finished by mentioning how they all hired buggies. someone twitted back 'still not walking?'

I don't know what's funnier, that tweet, or an Aussie complaining about someone not walking!

I don't know what's funnier, that tweet, or an Aussie complaining about someone not walking!

no idea if an aussie twit or not. just saw it reported. you won't catch me complaining about people not walking. long ago accepted it as part of the game. i can assure you i was never going anywhere till the finger went up. broad a tosser for so many other reasons.

but in fairness, the only cricketer for generations who walked (aside from when it is pretty obvious, such as kp last night) was an aussie, gilchrist.

i gather that a huge % of the crowd at lords last night boo'd heavily when poor jimmy anderson walked on, till they realised he was not broad.

no idea if an aussie twit or not. just saw it reported. you won't catch me complaining about people not walking. long ago accepted it as part of the game. i can assure you i was never going anywhere till the finger went up. broad a tosser for so many other reasons.

but in fairness, the only cricketer for generations who walked (aside from when it is pretty obvious, such as kp last night) was an aussie, gilchrist.

i gather that a huge % of the crowd at lords last night boo'd heavily when poor jimmy anderson walked on, till they realised he was not broad.

Didn't hear that.

Lords is generally full of outdated fools, in my experience. Don't really know what the fuss is about with Broad not walking. Newspaper tittle tattle.

As we all know, Agar should have been out on2 runs, stumped, and Trott got an inside edge, but the tech wasn't working....cricket has a great way of evening these bad decisions out over a match or series.

Dunno why they sent out a nightwatchman either, or who's decision it was...seems not bad thinking though, as if Anderson goes fairly early, we still have three who can get runs...whether they will or not, is a different matter.

Didn't hear that.

Lords is generally full of outdated fools, in my experience. Don't really know what the fuss is about with Broad not walking. Newspaper tittle tattle.

As we all know, Agar should have been out on2 runs, stumped, and Trott got an inside edge, but the tech wasn't working....cricket has a great way of evening these bad decisions out over a match or series.

Dunno why they sent out a nightwatchman either, or who's decision it was...seems not bad thinking though, as if Anderson goes fairly early, we still have three who can get runs...whether they will or not, is a different matter.

i can understand the nightwatchman for a high order batsman but not 9. understand what you say but being so close to the end of the innings, it will leave one of those better batsmen without a partner.

i didn't see the trott one so can't comment but i completely disagree re agar. i have seen that one, probably several dozen times. i suspect that if you were forced to pick out or not, he may have been marginally out but the shadow makes it impossible to be certain. you can't give a bloke out if you are not certain he is out. doesn't work on balance of probabilities. and i assume that 'we all' doesn't include the most important blokes. the ump didn't give him out but called for a check (tho they so rarely do make a decision on that these days) and the video ref could not find evidence of him being out.

i think that the reason so much fuss re broad is because everyone thinks he is a tosser and this didn't help - i have no issue with him not walking and have not spoken to anyone here who has. he is just a really un-likeable bloke. waving his bat around as though he was a hero when he was given, did not help. more of the fuss is against the ump for such a poor decision but my view is that it is our own fault (same as siddle and bairstow last night though for different reasons) as we made stupid decisions re the reviews and it came back to bite us.

What a day. I've never seen an Aussie side collapse so badly, in 55 overs on a batting track.

But, both sides have had their collapses, the only advantage for us has been a couple have gone on and got a few.

Gotta feel for decent Aussie bowlers, trying their guts out, but being followed by some terrible batting.

The run out was pretty bad.

As for Broad, I'm not sure we all think he's a tosser, I don't, and I think people booing him to bat is shocking...being agressive is wrong? Not walking is wrong?...I've sat in the crowd and watched Broad take a game by the scruff. And his bat did the talking today.

I don't see him in the papers being a *** so, can't see a problem.

As for Agar, I have also seen it numerous times, and the line belongs to the fielding side, so he was out.

Not too bothered by that however, as I say, it all balances out usually. So not sure the reason for the home hate for Broad.

KP...now there's a tosser.

I feel ashamed for getting excited about last night! Just when we look like we might be able to compete, we go and throw away top order wickets in 20/20 style.

Watson, Hughes and Kawaja. All weak, frustrating and unfortunately typical, efforts last night.

Rodgers was copping a bit from Mark Taylor about his shot, but how often do you expect to see a full toss nut high when you're facing an off spinner? And his team oriented approach saw him not challenge, when the ball was missing leg. Usman should be shouting him a drink to apologise for not piping up.

No use being able to bowl a side out twice if you can't make any runs. Maybe we need to try and win a toss so we can bat first!

Very frustrating.

What a day. I've never seen an Aussie side collapse so badly, in 55 overs on a batting track.

But, both sides have had their collapses, the only advantage for us has been a couple have gone on and got a few.

Gotta feel for decent Aussie bowlers, trying their guts out, but being followed by some terrible batting.

The run out was pretty bad.

As for Broad, I'm not sure we all think he's a tosser, I don't, and I think people booing him to bat is shocking...being agressive is wrong? Not walking is wrong?...I've sat in the crowd and watched Broad take a game by the scruff. And his bat did the talking today.

I don't see him in the papers being a *** so, can't see a problem.

As for Agar, I have also seen it numerous times, and the line belongs to the fielding side, so he was out.

Not too bothered by that however, as I say, it all balances out usually. So not sure the reason for the home hate for Broad.

KP...now there's a tosser.

i think we are seeing the true australia now. first test sadly what is likely to be our best effort in the mire of mediocrity.

i must say, you can't have been watching much of us in recent years if you have not seen us topple like that. few months ago in india we lost ten for 80 and v south africa, on a fine track, we were all out for 47. and from memory, i think the last pair put on well over half of that. 26, i think?

discussed watson endlessly. rogers got a shocker decision. usman a stupid shot. hughes also unlucky but crap happens. and so on. just not up to serious test cricket. i see our last wicket partnership our 2nd best again. hopeless.

as for broad, i have said endlessly i have no problem with him not walking but interesting that this morning i saw your thoughts on broad - and fair enough - but also got an email from a mate from england. this was part of it (i should add that i had not mentioned broad to him). "he was very unpopular (up himself) at school. Once a dickhead always a dickhead... I don't blame him using the last review, but as he knew he hit it, if he'd walked, maybe fewer boos when he bats again. Dickhead."

most of my pommy mates detest kp far more than broad. most aussies i know think kp a bit obnoxious but far less than the poms do. most aussies would be happy to have a beer with kp but would not pour one on broad if he was burning. each to their own, i guess. but no argument that he is a good player.

we will clearly never agree on agar and the stumping. i cannot see how anyone can suggest that it is clear. but as much chance of changing that as changing rogers from last night.

had another email from a cricket loving mate last night. he will be watching midsummer night murders tonight, he is so pissed off at the aussies.