Cricket thread

So I assume test batting line up will be Watson, Rogers, Cowan, Hughes, Clarke, Warner, Haddin ?? Maybe Kuwaja for Warner?? Apparently Kuaja and Lehman get on so who knows but you would think Warner will get first chance. Then probably Starc, Pattinson, Siddle, Lyon.

Probably the most balanced batting line up they could come up with. Looks a soft underbelly in that middle order though - and an untried opening partnership. But hopefully can graft some defendable totals between the old heads of Rogers, Clarke and Haddin guiding the others.

We shall see

clark is a wonderful batsman but he needs to accept more responsibility and bat higher. lehmann coached usmain at qld so there would be a connection that may assist him. they have banned warner till the first test. so he'll have no warm up. a worry if he plays immediately. i know rogers is old but i think he has only played one test so not fair to rely on him as 'an old head'. he'll have enough to worry about. not looking promising.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

clark is a wonderful batsman but he needs to accept more responsibility and bat higher. lehmann coached usmain at qld so there would be a connection that may assist him. they have banned warner till the first test. so he'll have no warm up. a worry if he plays immediately. i know rogers is old but i think he has only played one test so not fair to rely on him as 'an old head'. he'll have enough to worry about. not looking promising.

I know - you can almost see it now - by lunch of first test if batting could be 4 for 50 odd with Clark and Warner - Clark then bats with the tail to get around 200 by close of play on day 1 and the first test is lost

I know - you can almost see it now - by lunch of first test if batting could be 4 for 50 odd with Clark and Warner - Clark then bats with the tail to get around 200 by close of play on day 1 and the first test is lost

If it's 4 for 50 with Clark and Warner, my bet is it will be 5 for 54 with Clark and Haddin. I'll give Warner at least one lucky slice over the top of 3rd slip for four.

I agree Ken it there will be a lot of responsibility thrown onto Rogers in his first Test in 5 years, but he is highly experienced in English conditions and he is currently making runs. Something our entire batting line up, with the exception of Clarke of course, is not. I'm actually warming to the Ashes series now. Before Arthur got shown the door I wasn't going to bother, but now I may just pull some all nighters to watch! Warney gives me the shits, but it's blokes like him and Boof that might actually pull 11 individuals together into some kind of unit that want to play for each other. A lot like the Sydney Swans do.

I tell you what, if I could only take my long service leave again I reckon this year would have been one of the best for a European sports tour round about now! Could've done the French Open, Wimbledon, F1 in Monaco and Britain, Tour de France, the Ashes, and Edgbaston Darts. If I win Oz lotto tonight I'm over there!

I agree Ken it there will be a lot of responsibility thrown onto Rogers in his first Test in 5 years, but he is highly experienced in English conditions and he is currently making runs. Something our entire batting line up, with the exception of Clarke of course, is not. I'm actually warming to the Ashes series now. Before Arthur got shown the door I wasn't going to bother, but now I may just pull some all nighters to watch! Warney gives me the shits, but it's blokes like him and Boof that might actually pull 11 individuals together into some kind of unit that want to play for each other. A lot like the Sydney Swans do.

I tell you what, if I could only take my long service leave again I reckon this year would have been one of the best for a European sports tour round about now! Could've done the French Open, Wimbledon, F1 in Monaco and Britain, Tour de France, the Ashes, and Edgbaston Darts. If I win Oz lotto tonight I'm over there!

good luck. i reckon you probably have about as much chance as our blokes have of winning back the ashes.

Sounds like you really want a Welshman in your team.

I'll tell you what, we'll trade you one of our New South Welshmen for any of your dodgy Essex players!

How does Warner for Cook sound as a trade?

HA...He may have turned out better, with a bit of carrot and or stick (probably stick).

He wouldn't be the first Australian to play for England...or Safa...

Last good Welshman was Simon Jones, who's career was shortened by injury, a good bowler.

Seems a good plan to me, pick a bloke who's been playing well over here, good luck to him.

I suspect it will be closer than you chaps predict, as we still have the potential for a good colapse!

Seems a good plan to me, pick a bloke who's been playing well over here, good luck to him.

I suspect it will be closer than you chaps predict, as we still have the potential for a good colapse!

Mazolaman

As a player yourself you are right - there's more chance in cricket than most sport. It might be close. And with some experienced players you can build a team. But matey, over 5, neigh 10, tests this year, I reckon we will be found wanting. Hopefully it will be close.

Cricket, to me, is a metaphor for life (as a batsman anyway) - one against the world with a partner who is there to help, can't score for you, can get you out, can sledge you (see Ian Chappell ) with 11 others there to bring about your downfall. I love cricket.

Mazolaman

As a player yourself you are right - there's more chance in cricket than most sport. It might be close. And with some experienced players you can build a team. But matey, over 5, neigh 10, tests this year, I reckon we will be found wanting. Hopefully it will be close.

Cricket, to me, is a metaphor for life (as a batsman anyway) - one against the world with a partner who is there to help, can't score for you, can get you out, can sledge you (see Ian Chappell ) with 11 others there to bring about your downfall. I love cricket.

Yeah, It's a bit of a no win choice, experience or form? who knows.

He got 75 in the warm up against Worcester...your top order all got good runs.

More good news in, it may stop raining long enough for us to get a good series in!

We have been told that July will be a good weather month....hmmmm

I also love cricket..the endless permutations, rivalries and tactics...even if I don't understand them all.

Yeah, It's a bit of a no win choice, experience or form? who knows.

He got 75 in the warm up against Worcester...your top order all got good runs.

More good news in, it may stop raining long enough for us to get a good series in!

We have been told that July will be a good weather month....hmmmm

I also love cricket..the endless permutations, rivalries and tactics...even if I don't understand them all.

so far and away the greatest game of all.

but the best position - wicketkeeper. you are involved in every ball.

for me, when i could combine keeper, opening batsman and captain - perfect. meant you were on the field the entire game (or when not, it was your own fault). but at least involved. hated sitting around watching others.

I think Ken has touched on an idea that might have legs (and I'm not talking about Bacchus' old tree stumps). Combining keeper, opening batsmen and captain is a brilliant thought.

So I think it's agreed then, we either need to bring back Adam Gilchrist, or get Ken to pull the pads out of his bag and jump on a plane to the Ol' Dart asap. Not sure if Gilchrist ever captained though, so Ken may be in the front spot there.

I'm currently composing a letter to John Inverarity and am requesting that as chief of selectors, he act on the following:

1. Sub in Gilchrist for either Warner or Watson. An instant win for us, as we lack a real match winner (apart from Clarke) from positions 1 down to 6. We don't need Gilly to keep. Haddin would keep his spot.

2. Sub in Warne and send all the current touring spinners home. We can forget the offies we sent over there (all offies should be put down at birth in my opinion they are a blight on the game), and I doubt we will ever see a match winning wrist spinner like Warne ever again. Nor will we ever again see a chain smoking, gum chewing yobbo that can pull someone like Liz Hurley. The biggest negative with Warne is the fact he barracks for St Kilda.

3. Sub in Ian Chappell as Cpt, and give Clarke the vice captaincy. With Gilchrist in the side and Clarke still in form, we could carry Chappelli. His expertise, hard nose-edness and ability to make the Poms cry would outweigh the fact he's 70 and probably couldn't stand for 6 hours straight.

If my letter is received in the manner I expect it will be I won't pursue point 4, which was to send Len Pascoe over to bolster our new ball attack. If he failed to impress he could always get some work on the speaking circuit over there while the boys are playing. His jokes are quite funny and he would get a lot of mileage by replaying footage of his over to Viv Richards prior to lunch or tea one day when he bowled about 35 no balls. It's worth Googling it, as it's very very funny!

I think Ken has touched on an idea that might have legs (and I'm not talking about Bacchus' old tree stumps). Combining keeper, opening batsmen and captain is a brilliant thought.

So I think it's agreed then, we either need to bring back Adam Gilchrist, or get Ken to pull the pads out of his bag and jump on a plane to the Ol' Dart asap. Not sure if Gilchrist ever captained though, so Ken may be in the front spot there.

gilchrist did captain australia half a dozen times over a number of years, filling in for ponting and clarke, though he may have done a full series in india or pakistan or???

and a number of times in pyjama crap.

as for lenny pascoe, mel johnson the old umpire taught me at school for years (lovely bloke) and i remember meeting up with him a few years later and him telling a great story about pascoe and no balls. but one for rob's deck or a video.

2. Sub in Warne and send all the current touring spinners home. We can forget the offies we sent over there (all offies should be put down at birth in my opinion they are a blight on the game), and I doubt we will ever see a match winning wrist spinner like Warne ever again. Nor will we ever again see a chain smoking, gum chewing yobbo that can pull someone like Liz Hurley. The biggest negative with Warne is the fact he barracks for St Kilda.

But wait!

Check this out http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/23141491

If he doesn't like sunshine...we can always make him English!

Also, if you like a laugh...apparently, Kevin Pieterson is an introvert...who knew?http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/23125046

Well, the latest big cricketing news is that I took 2 for 37 (8 overs) on sat against an average side, and 2 for 35 (8 overs) on sunday against a good side....they had a large keg of shockingly good Somerset scrumpy on Sat, and we were all fielding in 30 degrees like pissed up zombies....gotta love cricket.

In other news, Ashes tomorrow......no calls yet from Australia, offering to give me an Aussie passport...

Well, the latest big cricketing news is that I took 2 for 37 (8 overs) on sat against an average side, and 2 for 35 (8 overs) on sunday against a good side....they had a large keg of shockingly good Somerset scrumpy on Sat, and we were all fielding in 30 degrees like pissed up zombies....gotta love cricket.

In other news, Ashes tomorrow......no calls yet from Australia, offering to give me an Aussie passport...

Well based on your figures, you're quite consistent. Therefore you wouldn't fit in with our current selection criteria! Soooo looking forward to tonight. I've got a leg of lamb for the bbq, red wine, and a stogie lined up while I sit down and watch the game. I hope the weather's friendly!

Word on the street (ie. from the back page of the paper) is that Siddle, Pattinson and Starc will line up, along with Lyon. I hope Warner does NOT play, but I fear he will. Even though I don't like Steve Smiths game, I think Lehmann will give Warner a crack at no 6.

Here's to a close contest that goes the distance, and not one that's over in 3 days!

Here's to a close contest that goes the distance, and not one that's over in 3 days!

In spite of all the chit chat, I can't really see that happening.

Here's to a good, dry(!) series.

Can anyone else explain to me why Lyon, who took 9 wickets and 7 in an innings in Australia's last test, would be dropped for a 19 year old who has taken 30 first class wickets in 10 games? Astounding decision. But maybe they know something we don't.

Oh nice work Patto... First blood to the Aussies

Yep, all the batsmen lost their cool today...a couple got good balls, but most were just too wound up!

The Aussie bowlers started with a display of wides, saved only by good ol Siddel, who managed to bowl some good ones amongst his variations, I guess the main difference between the teams so far is that Englands' bowlers were far more accurate.

So, will the Aussies benefit from everyone calming down tomorrow, or will the ball still swing for Anderson.

We could probably do with Broad coming back to bowl.

Clarke got a beauty, but like you said maz too many loose shots, hopefully the batsmen have will have it out of there system, well the English and South African ones innocent.gif think the forecast for tomorrow is much sunnier although at Trent Bridge there is always a chance of the ball swinging, and Broad can bowl as soon as he takes the field with it being an impact injury

Yep, all the batsmen lost their cool today...a couple got good balls, but most were just too wound up!

The Aussie bowlers started with a display of wides, saved only by good ol Siddel, who managed to bowl some good ones amongst his variations, I guess the main difference between the teams so far is that Englands' bowlers were far more accurate.

So, will the Aussies benefit from everyone calming down tomorrow, or will the ball still swing for Anderson.

We could probably do with Broad coming back to bowl.

we gave away far too many easy boundaries. It's not far to the fence square of the wicket or down the ground is it! And the outfield was quite fast which made our bad deliveries even bigger gifts! Siddle bowled well. He's our Mr Dependable, but may even have been close to not getting a game. Good call to whichever selector penned his name on the team sheet!

Clarke got a beauty, but like you said maz too many loose shots, hopefully the batsmen have will have it out of there system, well the English and South African ones innocent.gif think the forecast for tomorrow is much sunnier although at Trent Bridge there is always a chance of the ball swinging, and Broad can bowl as soon as he takes the field with it being an impact injury

i'm hoping right about now Broad is tossing and turning in bed not able to get comfortable on his sore shoulder! We need every advantage we can get! What Lehmann hopefully has done is give Warner permission to go out and get a few under his belt tonight, then run around the England team hotel banging on doors and creating havoc. He's a lost cause, so he should really take another one for his teammates!

we gave away far too many easy boundaries. It's not far to the fence square of the wicket or down the ground is it! And the outfield was quite fast which made our bad deliveries even bigger gifts! Siddle bowled well. He's our Mr Dependable, but may even have been close to not getting a game. Good call to whichever selector penned his name on the team sheet!

From an Englishmans point of view, Siddle is the classic Aussie battler, and should be the first name on the sheet.

I loved the aggression of Pattinson and Stark also, even though they were bowling pretty poorly, they still were big on the stares!

Bit of a wild card pick with the new spinner...could go either way with him. Rodgers looked good though, batted better than most.

i'm hoping right about now Broad is tossing and turning in bed not able to get comfortable on his sore shoulder! We need every advantage we can get! What Lehmann hopefully has done is give Warner permission to go out and get a few under his belt tonight, then run around the England team hotel banging on doors and creating havoc. He's a lost cause, so he should really take another one for his teammates!

Did I see that Warner is going to pay a bit in SA, to get his eye in for the third test?

I think I'm in love with Jimmy Anderson, is that wrong?biggrin.png

not at all. I'm still in love with Mr Cricket Mike Hussey. To make tonights viewing even more miserable, every damn change of ends on australian tv, we're getting the pleasure of watching david warner sell socks. Awesome!

not at all. I'm still in love with Mr Cricket Mike Hussey. To make tonights viewing even more miserable, every damn change of ends on australian tv, we're getting the pleasure of watching david warner sell socks. Awesome!

Loving Warner's 'tache.

Fair enough to the new lad, great innings so far, looks like he may be rising up the order a bit...