Zip lock bags?

Laxman

Have a question I am sure someone can help me with:

Right now I use wine coolers for storing my cigars. They are all in their boxes. Once a box gets under half way for the most part I still have them in the boxes. I was wondering if I could put them in zip lock bags? If so would I seal them or keep the bags open?

If so it would be nice as it would open up a good deal of space.

Thanks!

Im in similar sitiation to you and, though not sure about bags, to save space I've combined different types of cigars in the same box (where I feel the cigars would be fine to sit together flavour wise).

I have boxes in ziplocks and singles in ziplocks. For the singles I open them to let them breathe the humidor air. I keep the boxes sealed with as much air sucked out as possible. For boxes that I will be smoking through in the next few months, I don't bother and just leave everything the way it is however. Never had a problem.

x2 for the boxes

I have all my boxes in a wine fridge, a few I don't want to touch for a few years. Others I open whenever I want a cigar. My question is, should I seal the boxes I want to age a few years in ziplock? And the boxes I do smoke from will take me a year or two to empty cause I don't get to smoke enough, should i seal those to? And what the though process behind sealing them?

Thanks for the help

If you seal the bags, does it effect the cigars getting moisture?

Yes and no. While the bags are water proof to "liquid" water they are permeable to moisture vapor. The bag will allow for the movement of the vapor albeit much more slowly than if the boxes are left exposed and naked.

Yes and no. While the bags are water proof to "liquid" water they are permeable to moisture vapor. The bag will allow for the movement of the vapor albeit much more slowly than if the boxes are left exposed and naked.

Agreed, this. IIRC, it's like a 5-10% transmission rate (depending on the type of bag), compared to the bag not being there, with regards to allowing humidity/vapour transmission. Can't remember the source, but read it in a science thing somewhere (I honestly wanna say Discovery Kids??? LOL.)

So the concern would be if your setup can't keep the humidity you need. right? I ask because for the bag to really provide any help, It would have to be in an over or under humified state for a lot longer then the time it takes for you to open a door. Browse a box or two for a smoke. And close the door again. Right?

I don't know if anyone has ever tested it. But about how long do you figure a closed humidified box would take for the inside to see any humidity change at all?

So the concern would be if your setup can't keep the humidity you need. right? I ask because for the bag to really provide any help, It would have to be in an over or under humified state for a lot longer then the time it takes for you to open a door. Browse a box or two for a smoke. And close the door again. Right?

I don't know if anyone has ever tested it. But about how long do you figure a closed humidified box would take for the inside to see any humidity change at all?

Well, that's a good way to use them (for the bag to protect from under/over humidified state), but for the most part, I don't use them for that (and I know of a few others doing this, and don't use them for that either).

For me, it's more of an "isolation" measure.

To isolate the box from others for the purposes of protecting in case of a beetle breakout (rare as that may be), the bags help to isolate the infestation to that one particular box or bundle. Also, to isolate different boxes from each other to more concentrate the different oxygenation inherent within the different boxes, to allow them to "marinate" and age in their own residual atmosphere - perhaps not to slow down the aging process, per say, given that the 65/65 levels are still the same, but to instead just have their little aging environment more individualized and more concentrated. IMO, this better allows the oils and natural off-gases/chemical-elements from the aging cigars to stay within the boxes/bundles themselves.

That's why I've been using those slightly more heavy-duty vacuum-sealer bags, and/or using the heavy blue zipper freezer bags if it's a smaller bundle, or something I dig into a bit more frequently.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

'If so it would be nice as it would open up a good deal of space. '

Consider using slide top cab type boxes.Smaller footprint,deeper for more storage,additional benefit of cedar enhancement.

I have done this since the 80s,and find no problems whatsoever.

If you want to co-mingle sticks,you can go vertical or horizontal,if not you can use a cedar wafer between types.

I personally dont wrap my boxes, but when there is a few left in the box, I have extra cellophane wrapper that I protect the singles when I put them into population. Now why doesnt anyone buy cello bags or wrap?

• Like 1