Changes in flavor from an over humidified cigar

I smoked a cigar a few weeks ago I purchased at my local b&m. It was delicious! Its the 6th stick i had smoked of that particular cigar and they have been very consistant. A friend of mine tonight had the exact same cigar but it smoked a lot spicier. It still had some of the flavors of the other cigar sI smoked but not all of them. The only difference was the humidity. Brand shape and size were all the same. The shop keeps them right at 65 and his desktop is around 72. Would the difference in the rh make such a drastic difference. Just curious what you guys think.

When I kept my humidor at ~70 I found it hard to maintain a cool, even burn.

I tapped into much finer, more layered flavours when I dropped humidity down to 65 and had a similar step change in enjoyment when I dropped down to 62% beads a year ago.

Your mileage may vary of course. Would be interested to hear from the many satisfied smokers who use 70% and higher.

I store my cigar at 65% but notice my upmann mag48 el smokes so much better at 70-71%, pure chocolate, sweet, wood and very earthy ( rot hay, barnyard, dung(?) ) very complex creamy smoke and dense. Jason

Over humidified cigars for me keep going out and need relighting. It drives me nuts. I figure that's why the guys here dry box them for 48 hours + before smoking - which takes a new level of planning, smoking dedication.

I found that when the air is high in RH in summer, my smokes tend to taste better at 62. But in winter when the air is dryer I keep them more humidified at 69.

Also, the Upmann, Hoyo and the EL tend to taste better at a higher RH to deliver more taste

Bolivar, PL and partagas like a lower RH IMO

I store my cigar at 65% but notice my upmann mag48 el smokes so much better at 70-71%, pure chocolate, sweet, wood and very earthy ( rot hay, barnyard, dung(?) ) very complex creamy smoke and dense. Jason

I have found the 48 LE to be the same for me, they like a higher RH, at 65% they are too hard and dry.

I used to keep mine at around 65% but now like it lower in th 61-62% range. Keeping my humidity too high, was one of the worst mistakes I made as a newbie to CCs.

I have been liking the flavor and maturation of my smokes at the dryer level.

In fact I am getting some 60% beads for the warm season here as my coolers are close to airtight and I can't keep the humidity under 66% in the summer months. (with 65% beads). They turn muddled and bitter, just like some botls have stated. I never stop learning in this hobby!!

I used to keep mine at around 65% but now like it lower in th 61-62% range. Keeping my humidity too high, was one of the worst mistakes I made as a newbie to CCs.

I have been liking the flavor and maturation of my smokes at the dryer level.

In fact I am getting some 60% beads for the warm season here as my coolers are close to airtight and I can't keep the humidity under 66% in the summer months. (with 65% beads). They turn muddled and bitter, just like some botls have stated. I never stop learning in this hobby!!

I'm also thinking of doing that since it sounds like we have pretty much the same set up. In the winter my RH stays around 61-63 but in the summer around 64-66 with 65 beads. Maybe if I mix some 60% beads in there it'll stay around 62-63.

I was keeping some CC's in my locker at the b&m but suspected that they were keeping it at a high RH when my cigars started feeling a little soggy/spongy and it started tasting bitter. I took all of them out and just leave my NC's in there now.

I'm also thinking of doing that since it sounds like we have pretty much the same set up. In the winter my RH stays around 61-63 but in the summer around 64-66 with 65 beads. Maybe if I mix some 60% beads in there it'll stay around 62-63.

I was keeping some CC's in my locker at the b&m but suspected that they were keeping it at a high RH when my cigars started feeling a little soggy/spongy and it started tasting bitter. I took all of them out and just leave my NC's in there now.

I tend to have the same results as you in winter Vs. Summer months. My temps are at room temps around 67 F in winter and as close to 70 F or under in summer with the a/c.

I am going to just swap all the 65 % beads for 60 % beads in the summer and see how it goes. I have a feeling that it will work well since the air is so dry in winter and more humid in summer. I will post on the results, let me know how your set up does and we can compare.