travel humidors

Well this year has been an interesting one so far to say the least, but it has brought a potential opportunity to work on board a cruise ship for six months as well as travel and see the world during that time. I definitely don't want to give up smoking during that time and don't think taking one of my desktop humidors is the solution for storing the cigars I plan on bringing with me as well as pick up on my travels so i have been looking into travel humidors but I'm curious to know what everyone's experience with them as well as are there any brands that I should look at and avoid, are they worth it or would it be better to pick up a small desktop humidor. the other question I have is what is the best and lowest maintenance method of humidification for travel humidors.

I don't have the job just yet but I am trying to be as prepared as I can because I will have as little as two weeks notice to meet up with the ship I would be working on.

I use a Xikar 5 count, but they make much bigger travel humidors. It has been great in my experience.

I pulled the little green foam humidifier out and now use a tubos (punched with holes) filled with heartfelt beads.

Personally I think it's hard to beat any of the hard box humidors (ie. Cigar Caddy, Xikar). Essentially Pelican cases with foam inserts shaped to hold cigars. I have 5, 10 and 40 ct. boxes that I use, size dependent on the length of the trip. They aren't necessarily the classiest piece on a desk, but being water proof, hard sided with strong closure latches I think they are hard to beat, protectionwise, for travel. As for humidification there are several methods, I toss in a Boveda humipak and call it good.

Cheers

I agree with Wil and Paul3 the Xikar in my opinion have been great. I have an 18-24 count travel humidor but they come as big as 50-80 count units. I use the standard humidification disk and some Xikar PG solution I got through the website and it has worked just fine.

Six months seems a bit long for me. I would go for a small desktop humidor b/c I enjoy the smell of spanish cedar with my cigars. If you do go with a travel humidor, I would add some spanish cedar sheets for that extra aroma. Just a thought...

Six months seems a bit long for me. I would go for a small desktop humidor b/c I enjoy the smell of spanish cedar with my cigars. If you do go with a travel humidor, I would add some spanish cedar sheets for that extra aroma. Just a thought...

Agree with Jszeto about the cedar sheets in the travel humidor.

I would go for the travel humidor as you would not have to worry about your cigars moving around and getting damaged during the flight and subsequent movement - no worries about packing it or carrying it properly, as compared to a desktop.

Note: Sometimes the travel humis get stuck/hard to open after a flight (unless it comes with a release valve) due to the air/cabin pressure.

Note: Sometimes the travel humis get stuck/hard to open after a flight (unless it comes with a release valve) due to the air/cabin pressure.

Peli cases and cigar caddys come with a release valve to open after being in a reduced pressure environment such as the hold of a plane.

I'd go for a hard case travel humidor that you can use a lock on (combination lock, so you can't lose the key) as you may have to share a cabin on the ship (it's normally double cabins for all but the most senior crew)!.

First of all, Nicky I miss you terribly and you look great in your picture. Please join us at the Mambo soon.

If this was me I would simply bring a medium size tupperware container and keep my cigars in zip locked plastic bags. For humidity I would use a small container with beads that can be refilled with water, distilled if possible or bottled if all that is available. If you have a small humidity gauge, put that in too.

Bon Voyage!

Personally I think it's hard to beat any of the hard box humidors (ie. Cigar Caddy, Xikar). Essentially Pelican cases with foam inserts shaped to hold cigars. I have 5, 10 and 40 ct. boxes that I use, size dependent on the length of the trip. They aren't necessarily the classiest piece on a desk, but being water proof, hard sided with strong closure latches I think they are hard to beat, protectionwise, for travel. As for humidification there are several methods, I toss in a Boveda humipak and call it good.

Cheers

Agree with Jszeto about the cedar sheets in the travel humidor.

I would go for the travel humidor as you would not have to worry about your cigars moving around and getting damaged during the flight and subsequent movement - no worries about packing it or carrying it properly, as compared to a desktop.

Peli cases and cigar caddys come with a release valve to open after being in a reduced pressure environment such as the hold of a plane.

I'd go for a hard case travel humidor that you can use a lock on (combination lock, so you can't lose the key) as you may have to share a cabin on the ship (it's normally double cabins for all but the most senior crew)!.

I agree thoroughly with all of the above. I also have and frequently use a 5-count Cigar Caddy and one of the older style 24-count Cigar Caddy's (different manufacture now - the "original" style is now the Xikar 24-count or so). I actually also replaced the interior foam with the die-cut foam inserts from Cigar Solutions, so the cigars are better protected on all sides, and can't slide end-to-end in the standard foam.

Also, yes, the Boveda packs work great in these, as do the Drymistat tubes. And yes, add in a cedar insert from one of your boxes, on the bottom of the Cigar Caddy box, underneath all the foam. And agreed, the air-release valve is definitely an added plus.

I would recommend the 5- and the 24-count boxes. Then, also, pick up a couple added Boveda pouches, and bring a small box of the large-size Glad freezer bags (the blue ones). If you pick anything up in your travels, double bag with these, and put in a Boveda pouch, and you'll be good to go. This way, with these bags, you can add or expand your storage as needed aside from the Cigar Caddy cases, but you also don't have to commit to tons of used storage space being occupied without an actual need.

Hope this helps. Cheers Nick.

Lisa i promise I will come out to Mambo soon, if we can plan something a week or two in advance i can guarantee to be there. I don't have the job just yet I have my second interview on Thursday so my fingers are crossed but maybe we can meet up Thursday evening I'll be in Toronto all day anyways for my interview

First of all, Nicky I miss you terribly and you look great in your picture. Please join us at the Mambo soon.

If this was me I would simply bring a medium size tupperware container and keep my cigars in zip locked plastic bags. For humidity I would use a small container with beads that can be refilled with water, distilled if possible or bottled if all that is available. If you have a small humidity gauge, put that in too.

Bon Voyage!

thanks for the advice everyone, what i was thinking was have a variety of about 20 sticks with me at all times and if i buy any boxes i would ship them home or to my friend to take care of so any box pickups im not to concerned about more so just keeping a small stash, as well if im on a ship that has a cigar shop i will try my best to be working in it and that way i wont have to keep a personal humidor on the ship

I'm another fan of hard travel cases (caddy, etc). My opinion - if you are traveling in warm / humid environments, I'd be more concerned with dehumidification than humidification. I've found that these hard cases are very good at retaining cigar moisture content, and that warm conditions can create draw / burn / flavor difficulties.....

Best luck - I hope you get the job smile.png

I'm another fan of hard travel cases (caddy, etc). My opinion - if you are traveling in warm / humid environments, I'd be more concerned with dehumidification than humidification. I've found that these hard cases are very good at retaining cigar moisture content, and that warm conditions can create draw / burn / flavor difficulties.....

Best luck - I hope you get the job smile.png

Great point, Ross. Actually, I've taken to bringing and using mini-sized Boveda packets in 62% when travelling to humid countries, and these packets actually work halfway decent in keeping down the excess humidity in ziplock bags with fresh stock. Not sure if that would help/work for Nick's purposes, but it's another thought.

Actually, I've taken to bringing and using mini-sized Boveda packets in 62% when travelling to humid countries, and these packets actually work halfway decent in keeping down the excess humidity in ziplock bags with fresh stock. Not sure if that would help/work for Nick's purposes, but it's another thought.

Keith, I'm sure you understand I'm just commenting on personal observation. I've found that adding moisture to these kind of cases is counterproductive. As Wil mentioned above, I often use a tube filled with beads - without adding water to the desiccant - in order to try and reduce humidity....

Generally speaking, In this scenario, I think it's easier to add moisture than to try and remove it. Each situation will be unique.

I stand by my tupperware suggestion and I will tell you why. I am finding more and more, especially during travel, these cases and additional luggage can be a real pain. To be honest I think these vessels are very expensive for the job they do, especially when we have wineadors, Coleman "cooliadors" and keep stock in zip lock bags anyway.

An expensive looking case also says "steal me" among strangers, where as a smaller container fits in your bag and can even be opaque.

That is all will say, please take my comments as only my own.

Great points, Ross and Lisa. Some good thoughts and ideas there, that I didn't really think of before either.

Ross - beads, yup, agreed. I've just not thought of, nor used that, before for travel purposes, due to costs a bit. I've generally always had those little packets or Water Pillows (which I now detest) available .

Lisa - excellent thoughts. As someone else mentioned, Nick may also be sharing a room. I likey the Tupperware thought.

x2 all the way.

I would also bring a Xicar 5 or 10 travel humidor for carrying cigars you plan to smoke that day around with you. I have the 5 & 10. The 5 is really thin and portable but only holds 5 cigars. With the 10 you can take out the foam inserts and you can stuff up to 20 cigars in there.

thanks for all the tips I'm going to try Lisa's idea this weekend as i have a few glass containers that seal air tight and an extra humidifier laying around but if that doesn't work I'm going to see what i can get for the best price in terms of actual travel humidors. I have my interview tomorrow so I'll let every one know what happens.

Kind of late on this, but as a guy who travels every week, I like plastic containers with beads and a hygrometer. I have a 3 ct Siglo case but it is only good for evenings out. When I travel, I usually bring a little selection with me just in case and have found that this method works great for me. BUT I would have to agree with Shlomo on this and go with a coolidor if I where gone for some time (I like having a selection). This just gave me an idea, a nice little oversized lunchbox collie for my travels. Well off to canadian tire to get myself a lunchboxador.

the only issue with a coolidor is that I will be sharing a room and that room will only be about 125sq ft, not saying that its totally out of the question but i will have to wait and see how i could work that once I was in the room. But it is a good idea none the less and the lunch box size cooler could vary well work.