Golfing and Cigars

Couldn't find a golfing thread.

So, thought I'd find out what we all smoke on the course.

Currently, I'm burning through all my NC's.

For now my rotation is:

Liga #9

Liga T52

Dirty Rats

Flying Pigs

Padron 1964

CyB by Joya de Nicaragua Lonsdale Club

I mix in with these some Monty #4's and #5''s for the end of the round smoke.

Shortly my rotation will be:

RASS

BBF

Monty #2

Edmundo

Siglo II

Hoyo Epicure #2

So what do you guys take to the course?

Smoking on golf courses here in Queensland is becoming rather difficult. Some you can only smoke on odd numbers, others only the tees, some not at all or my favourtie only allowed to smoke in the rough! As a result my golf has deteriorated as I'm always in the rough with my Boli RC.

They never put those warning on the cigar box that your health and golf will deteriorate.

I tend to take smokes that have either been a bit battered or ones I am not that excited about...I like to concentrate on the golf and just have something to smoke...afterwards is another matter

These days I like to bring cigars that I love- which makes the overall experience that much better. The satisfaction is compounded by having a great cigar in hand while playing. I will bring a wide variety so that way I can grab something that fits the mood, length of time that I want to smoke, etc.

My first tee cigar is usually a Lusitania, Upmann no.2 or an Imperiales. Back nine could be a couple of RASCC, a Des Dieux, a few Shorts, or something like that.

I can't wait for this season to begin over here...Hit 'em straight!

On the golf course I like to smoke some of the bigger format cigars I have in the humidor. It's one of the few occasions I get to enjoy a full Churchill or Cañonazo undisturbed. At home there's always something that prevents me to smoke one of these all the way uninterruped. The golf season is just getting started here, did my first 9 holes of the season this morning actually. Really looking forward to the first 18 holes in the sun. Smoking on the course is not a problem at all here, never had any problems or remarks about it.

Smoking a good cigar on the golf course seems like such a waste to me because the wind/breeze takes away the pure pleasure of the smoke wafting around my nose and head. To me, that is the essence of smoking a fine cigar. If I smoke outside, it will be a NC unless it is a dead calm day.

Smoking a good cigar on the golf course seems like such a waste

It can be.

I tend to choose depending on weather and if taking a cart or not.

One reason I'm not saving my NC's stricky for the course is:

These days I like to bring cigars that I love- which makes the overall experience that much better. The satisfaction is compounded by having a great cigar in fits the mood, length of time that I want to smoke, etc.

We walk 75% of the time. On those days it's usually a larger ring gauge.

When I know we'll be riding generally the better sticks come along.

If I smoke anything at all on the course, it's usually some inexpensive NC since I can't really concentrate on the cigar on the course. I save the good stuff for after the round when I can actually enjoy a good smoke. Golf season can't come soon enough here!

Usually a petit corona format. Usually dive for the cheap and cheerful boxes in the humi, sometimes ill take a robusto sized cigar with me if it isn't a windy day. I find I play better with a cigar in hand, calms the nerves and my chipping yips!

I normally bring a couple of large cigars, DC's or Prominante, a couple of lonsdales, a couple of Corona Gordas, a couple of Robustos and a couple of PC's. Pack them all up into my travel humidor to share with whoever else on the course my be interested. The quality of the course has no bearing whatsoever upon my selection of the cigar and I have no qualms of bringing a Cohiba 1966 to the worste course imaginable.

Smoking a good cigar on the golf course seems like such a waste to me because the wind/breeze takes away the pure pleasure of the smoke wafting around my nose and head. To me, that is the essence of smoking a fine cigar. If I smoke outside, it will be a NC unless it is a dead calm day.

X2 - I'll wait until after the round when I can really enjoy the cigar.

X3 - "I'll wait until after the round when I can really enjoy the cigar."

Not that I haven't smoked on the course but either the golf is a distraction to the cigar or the cigar is a distraction to the game. I end up re-lighting a lot, throwing the stick on the ground to tee off or to putt, etc.(not a good idea with all the chemicals used on a golf course) I just never play as well while smoking..

Give me a cocktail, a CC and a tall tale about the round and all is good.

Still waiting for my 1st round - winter is hanging around way too long here in the US mid-west.

If I'm with other people who enjoy cigars or with a group who knows I like them and encourage me to bring some I will. It may not be the best place to get the maximum enjoyment of the cigars nuances but it does make for a good time on the golf course.

Why ruin a perfectly good cigar experence by adding golf to the mix?

I pretty awful at golf, I wish I wasnt but free time for me tends to be pretty rare these days

If I play now I'm usually to drunk by the 18th whole to know what I'm smoking

I don't smoke when I play as I am not good enough to handle both the same time. walking, looking for ball, all that...but I always bring at last one cigar with me going out there, just in case I hit a hole in one then you have got to light one up right? don't u? even if you dont' smoke at all !

Why ruin a perfectly good cigar experence by adding golf to the mix?

I pretty awful at golf, I wish I wasnt but free time for me tends to be pretty rare these days

If I play now I'm usually to drunk by the 18th whole to know what I'm smoking

Golf takes my mind off the real world and a cigar while golfing takes my mind off my swing, helps me forget about that double bogey on the previous hole and keeps me sane during a bad round.

So, thought I'd find out what we all smoke on the course.

I smoke whatever I like, but a round of golf is always a good opportunity to smoke any larger format cigars in my humidor.

Smoking on golf courses here in Queensland is becoming rather difficult. Some you can only smoke on odd numbers, others only the tees, some not at all or my favourtie only allowed to smoke in the rough!

Good God, Smithy, please tell us you're jokingjester.gif I know there is no shortage of ridiculous stuff in this world... especially ridiculous regulations... but this is just plain silly moon.gif

Rick

Smoking on golf courses here in Queensland is becoming rather difficult. Some you can only smoke on odd numbers, others only the tees, some not at all or my favourtie only allowed to smoke in the rough! As a result my golf has deteriorated as I'm always in the rough with my Boli RC.

That has to be one for the ages in terms of stupidity with respect to smoking rules

golfing and cigars are a great pairing. I go with the large format cigars to enjoy for as many holes as possible. In order of preference, the SLR DC, Punch DC, Lusitania, San Cristobal Muralla and RA Gigantes top the list. I find it very relaxing while enhancing the overall experience outdoors. I usually just have one cigar per round but if I desire another, I go with a Robusto or a #2.

I echo Tmac's comments about the impact of golf and cigars on the mind.

Enjoy!