Labor Party spill

Next PM  

5 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well, it looks like we may have a new PM with news of a party spill this arvo. So who do think will be leader in the end, Gillard or Rudd?

What a non event. Still....nice to watch them tear themselves apart lol3.gif

Again Caucus ignores the public. Does Labor seriously think they can win in Sept with Gillard at the helm? Unless Abbott opens his mouth again to stick his foot in, the Coalition are going to have a pretty easy win. At least with Rudd, Labor has a chance of putting up a good fight.

fuzz, if that is the choice, i'll pass.

what a pack of morons. no great fan of abbott (not even a small fan), or of turnbull (would not trust either to tell the truth unless they thought it was in their interest), but what a circus the current mob are. one of the vilest liars we have ever seen against the world's biggest ego. both incompetents. what a choice.

and that spineless bob katter turned tail and ducked the no confidence vote. we can only hope voters know what an insane idiot he is.

these days, it is all in for whatever you can get for yourself. a prime minister who so clearly puts her own political survival ahead of the good of the country. calling an election 8 months out to try and stymie challenges. and stuffing business. what a toxic *****.

and anyone tells me that krudd didn't challenge because of sticking to his statement from way back and i'll puke. if he thought he had the numbers, there would have been no stopping him. but he was a bit smarter this time. gillard made a fool of him last time, provoking his challenge when he was not ready and he knew he was not. but that giant ego meant he couldn't help himself.

save us from all these idiots, both sides.

Rudd is playing the "I'll be PM, but only if you beg" game. Frankly, I'm sick of it. If you wanna be PM, have the stones to come out and do something about.

Unless Gillard does something monumental, Labor has no chance of winning in Sept. All the Coalition need do is muzzle Abbott until then for a landslide win.Labor needs to goad Abbott into making showing the public how much of an idiot he really is, to kill the chances of a landslide. It will still be close, but at least they'll have a fighting chance.

But frankly, does it matter anymore? Whether the ALP or Coalition leads the nation, we're screwed either way. And if the Greens come to power? Well, it looks like I might get full use of my Malaysian condo after all...

It's the worst state of political affairs in this country I've seen in 20 years.

Seriously, if these are the best candidates (both parties) we have for leader.... Then I fear for our future. No one seems to be made of the 'right stuff' to govern and run this great country.

We're a laughing stock. The embarrassment is palpable. Two f-wits nobody wants leading the major parties, each with huge egos and disdain for the people. While Rudd and Turnbull are not perfect, at least they're both forward-thinkers with a semblance of a soul.

The country would run a lot better with one of those wooden water-drinking birds at the helm rather than the current mob.

So depressing - I'm off to pour another glass of red...

I can't say I have a full following of what's going on down there, it just seems that there are only about four people who will stand up for the job, and they are all glorified parish councillors?

Not that our own lot is any better, they are just as out of touch. 10% of the UK population are millionaires but 78% of our representatives are millionaires...

It's times like these when I would rather have what the new governments in the middle east are doing; having an unelected cabinet made up of leaders of their own fields eg a top economist running the economy, medical consultant running the health care, ex general running the military etc etc. It's not as if voting for anyone/party at the moment is an actual choice, it is tweedle dum or tweedle dee. If push comes to shove I'd rather not vote and not give any personal legitimacy to these professional blow hards. It can't be any worse than the bunch of self serving toads we all seem to be stuck with currently.

I can't say I have a full following of what's going on down there, it just seems that there are only about four people who will stand up for the job, and they are all glorified parish councillors?

Not that our own lot is any better, they are just as out of touch. 10% of the UK population are millionaires but 78% of our representatives are millionaires...

It's times like these when I would rather have what the new governments in the middle east are doing; having an unelected cabinet made up of leaders of their own fields eg a top economist running the economy, medical consultant running the health care, ex general running the military etc etc. It's not as if voting for anyone/party at the moment is an actual choice, it is tweedle dum or tweedle dee. If push comes to shove I'd rather not vote and not give any personal legitimacy to these professional blow hards. It can't be any worse than the bunch of self serving toads we all seem to be stuck with currently.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but I believe it is law in Australia that you have to vote. Not sure what happens if you do not and they find out ... fine, community service, jail? Apparently they have a problem with voters spoiling their ballots now lol.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but I believe it is law in Australia that you have to vote. Not sure what happens if you do not and they find out ... fine, community service, jail? Apparently they have a problem with voters spoiling their ballots now lol.

Yeah, $50 fine if you don't or something?

Someone I spoke to said whoever is the first choice has a good chance of winning any election as people just tick the first box and then walk out without looking at the name. Of course the politicians proudly show off the high voting turn out :D

I don't think politicians have realised that people would vote if they saw someone worth voting for, the trouble is politicians are...well they are a different species lmao.gif

i hate compulsory voting. ridiculous.

yes, you get fined - at any level of government. but the number of times i have said - correctly - that i applied for a postal vote and never heard diddly. they just go away then.

first on the ballot supposedly gets a small extra percentage, called the donkey vote but estimated at about 1-2% at most.

and we have preferential, so everyone gets a position! i usually get the sheet and find out who i hate most, start there and last man standing gets number 1.

Some days you got to wonder about democracy and your privilege by getting the right to having a choice.

Don't get me wrong, I love this country and the chances it has given me. But I look at the local and national political parties at the moment and I despair at the fact that we are not making the most of the opportunities we have been given at the moment.

Our country is having one of the best economic times globally but somehow we are lacking any vision to make the most of this. The government is weak and letting everyone else dictate their agendas. It should be a balance. At the moment, we have no one at the rudder, if we had one to begin with.

My birthplace have been taken back from the British (it was a love/hate relationship anyway). While it has been given certain leeway for 50 years, the people have started to realised the rights they have been given are precious and needs to be fought for. Chinese people love being Chinese and China (as a contingent) but not so much the government. I can go on about this forever.

But say what you will, the Chinese government have a vision and at least they are getting somewhere for the country. It may not be right, fair or with integrity but at least they are doing what they need to for China. It has been a long way to get here for them and still a long way to go.

So what you're saying Jase is, we need a single party state? I could live with that, if it were the right party. There are benefits when there is no other party to oppose your will.

Democracy seems fine to me, it's the fact that the system is ran for and by corrupt slime which causes the problem.

There needs to be some kind of political bleach applied world wide to wash away the turds. Politician shouldn't be a dirty word, it should be something noble and respected. The trouble is by the actions and behaviour of all the ones past and present, that word has turned into something people usually associate with corruption, self serving, idiocy, out of touch, back stabbing, yellow belly etc etc etc

I'm assuming there once was a time where politicians got into that arena because they wanted to help further mankind and help people and more importantly they have the brain power, morals and ethics to follow through.

I'll be buggered if I know when that was and how to get back to it though!

Ancient Greece? Togas? Who knows...

Pretty sure the pollies were out for themselves in Ancient Greece too. Maybe it is the cynic in me, but altruism is just a word in the dictionary, between "altricial" and "alts".

I have voted for several mates at several different polling booths over the years, yet to be caught. Like they say vote early and vote often. lookaround.gif