Canadian Cubaphiles' dirty little secret

Here's a recent post from my blog, also linking to a very disturbing story in this weekend's Toronto Star. I'm curious what the community, and far more experienced Cuba-watchers than me, have to say.

The last time I went to Havana was the first on my own, without a friend or my wife in tow. The sales pitches from street hustlers turned from cigars to prostitutes. Everywhere I went, whatever hour of the day, I was asked if I was interested in chicas.

I knew there was prostitution in Cuba, but for there to be such a constant and aggressive flow of supply, there must be even more demand than I’d imagined. Considering that most tourists in Cuba are Canadians, it’s not a stretch to say that we play a big role.

I also uncovered another form of the Cuban sex trade, and this from fellow Canadians. I call it “friendship prostitution”. You head down to Cuba and one night at a hotel or bar, you meet someone young and attractive and flirt. The flirting leads to more. Everything seems on the up and up, the Cuban never asks for money, they look to be honestly having a fling with you. They take you home, you might even visit their family out in the country. But at the end of a week involving a lot of sex, and you paying for food, lodging and gifts, you go your separate ways. You - and this is both men and women - go home feeling all sexy about their little vacation fling, whereas the Cuban? Back to that hotel to start a “fling” all over again.

It’s a more subtle form, but it’s prostitution nonetheless. It is also exploitation. And we the tourists are responsible.

But these examples are just the surface of the problem. The Toronto Star recently uncovered a far more disturbing trend - of Canadians using Cuba as a child prostitution destination.

A lot has changed in Cuba since the revolution. But not enough.

I don't believe Cuba prostitution today is any different to:

Hong Kong, China mainland, Singapore, Vietnam, Phillipines, Thailand, Vegas, parts of Central and South America.

I can't say I have ever seen (nor heard of) in Cuba aspects of a child sex trade.

Out and out prostitution is prevalent and in your face. It has always been part of Havana although it went underground with the near decade ban on Cubans entering tourist hotels. That was lifted 4 years ago from memory and it is back with a vengeance.

The other prostitution you have mentioned "friendship" prostitution is desiged in the main to find a husband and a ticket out or a sugar daddy and money in. In some cases it is about having a great week, going to dinners and night clubs that they could never afford. Some will have no problem staying over. Some would never entertain it.

I know several friends from around the world who have married women they have met in Cuba. Some are happy, some ar not. Sounds like marriage to me biggrin.png

Prostitution in its various forms is rife in Cuba...as it is in plenty of parts in the world. I have many friends in Cuba who are or were in the trade. Desperation, lack of opportunity, necessity does not preclude them from being good people.

I am stringent in my expectation of how people around me treat women and that is all women no matter what profession or friendship intention they have. I am not my brothers keeper but should someone I am travelling with enter into a friendship then that person is to be given the full respect of the group. Simple.

Believe me, I know this goes on in other parts of the world. But I strongly disagree with the idea of throwing up our hands and saying "oh well". I think as the privileged outsiders and tourists, it is our duty to not exploit people simply because we can, and our responsibility to discourage our friends from doing it too. No, we can't change the world, but we change ourselves and we, my friends, are the problem.

And it's not the same anywhere else in the world. Does this (child and "friendship" prostitution) happen in Canada? Would any of us want our children, of whatever age, making a living based on sex with strangers instead of their own creativity, skills and knowledge?

"Friendship" prostitution (or just prostitution) is prevalent in major cities of Japan. It strongly influenced Hong Kong a few years ago. Many were underage school girls looking for sugar daddies.

After it got big, the govt thought it was a problem so now it is illegal to partake in "friendships".

There was a whole documentary about this on local HK television.

And it's not the same anywhere else in the world. Does this (child prostitution-edited) happen in Canada? Would any of us want our children, of whatever age, making a living based on sex with strangers instead of their own creativity, skills and knowledge?

Yes. It happens in every country worldwide the small fry are thrown to the lambs every once in a while but the big players are protected. Absolute power corrupts absolutely is not a statement with only one meaning. Read into that what you will. It's a disgusting truth sadly, but truth nonetheless.

No wage exists for these kids, they are slaves in every sense of the word.

Pedro,

as I told you last year : Sadly a lot has changed for the worse .......

Yes, I've noticed it get a bit more in your face since about 2008 or so. Seems to definitely be out there more and more.

It is somewhat funny though....how vehement the Cuban culture is against homosexuality, but the whole "friendship"/prostitution thing just gets a reaction of "oh well".

...I can't say I have ever seen (nor heard of) in Cuba aspects of a child sex trade.

Me neither. No open aspects of a child sex trade. Now, a lot may be young and somewhat borderline, but nothing that's fully child sex trade activity, from what I've seen and heard, anyways.

Especially with my work training, there's certain aspects of what to look for. Worst off, ID!!! LOL - but I know that's an unsure thing in Cuba. So, especially with something this risky, if anyone's unsure, the best advice would be to steer clear. People do also have to remember that with critical things like sex with a minor, under Canada's newer laws (and that of many other countries), if you do something like this on foreign soil, you still need to be aware that you can be prosecuted at home for that criminal act.

...Out and out prostitution is prevalent and in your face. It has always been part of Havana although it went underground with the near decade ban on Cubans entering tourist hotels. That was lifted 4 years ago from memory and it is back with a vengeance.

And see....I've always hated that. I've always thought it's the most ridiculous thing, if a hotel / governement as a whole has a blanket policy of keeping nationals out of their own homeland's hotels. Such a hypocracy, IMO. I really notice it at certain hotels - day or night, sometimes you got a real hassle or outright ban (depending on the hotel) if you as a foreigner are trying to bring a Cuban (be it a friend or a "friend") back to that hotel, be it for a nice lunch and a drink, or a nightcap. The worst slap in the face even is when hotels try and act all high and mightly about it, but then they say, "Well, you can be allowed to bring this person in, but it's only if you pay a fee" of $50 CUC's or something like that.

Friendship prostitution? Damn. I thought all the easy sorority chicks in college were just easy sorority chicks. Didn't know there was a fancy term for it.

Sometimes you have to wonder just who's exploiting who.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

This friendship type stuff happens all the time, all over the world. I don't see the moral outrage. Anything involving children is clearly despicable however. Sometimes people do what they gotta do. Sex and companionship are marketplaces, perhaps no worse than many 'legal' professions in more industrialized nations.

Not to be too cynical, but if everyone in the world could get a living wage utilizing creativity, skills, and knowledge, the world would be a much more peaceful and sane place. Unfortunately, the reality in most countries just does not meet that ideal.

no doubt there's prostitution in Cuba, as there is across the globe. and no, that fact doesn't render it any more acceptable. it is worth noting the curious timing of the "expose" in relation to recent events in the region. here's a critique of the Toronto Star piece that is probably worth a look:

http://rabble.ca/blogs/bloggers/andrew-brett/2013/03/toronto-star-makes-facts-exposé-sex-tourism-cuba

....I am stringent in my expectation of how people around me treat women and that is all women no matter what profession or friendship intention they have. I am not my brothers keeper but should someone I am travelling with enter into a friendship then that person is to be given the full respect of the group. Simple.

And, Rob, I'll give you a huge kudos for this. You definitely just went higher up the ladder in my books ( :D ...well, something oughta get you out of the gutter... ;):P ). LOL.

In all seriousness though, this is very big of you. I don't know if I myself could extend that same rational to all prostitutes everywhere.

It's weird. Especially with my work, and even years back in other law enforcement work prior to now, I came/come across "working ladies" all the time. Many are very decent women. Many are wonderful people. But a small minority are just outright horrendous, in attitude, cleanliness, etc. But, yes, I agree all need to still be treated like ladies. But especially for me at work, there is definitely a....well, a line in the sand, so to speak. If they stop acting like ladies, and stop acting civilly, then I stop treating them as such. However, they all are treated courteously and unassuming to begin with - any interactions are what they make of it.

But, at the same time, whether it's from an affinity that I have about Cuba and its people, or I don't know what, but I agree with you fully on your above thought when talking about the working ladies in Cuba. I don't know if it's just maybe a flawed perception I have, maybe. But I feel that maybe because of the cultural / financial / political situation for prostitutes working in say, Canada or the U.S., compared to Cuba, but I feel that some in certain areas have almost a bit more of a .... um, reverence by me? I don't know if that's correct or not, but it's just a weird perception that I have.

But, again, it's the individual and their interaction with me that alters my perception of them. Maybe that's just the work aspect coming through.

And, Rob, I'll give you a huge kudos for this. You definitely just went higher up the ladder in my books ( biggrin.png ...well, something oughta get you out of the gutter... wink.pngtongue.png ). LOL.

In all seriousness though, this is very big of you. I don't know if I myself could extend that same rational to all prostitutes everywhere.

Keith, I have a very serious vetting of the people I travel with on tour in central and south America. I need to know who they are, have spent time with them and hence have an understanding of how they will behave with a few drinks under their belt and in mixed company.

Only once in all the years has one person stepped out of line and that person was discarded as a friend let alone a future tour buddy.

No one in my group would go to Cuba and treat a Cuban woman as a lesser form of life. Should I have a party and Cuban women are invited by friends or myself, I can say unreservedly that they have been the benchmark of respectability, fun and grace.

There is a propensity in this world to colour things black and white. I try not to judge. The only time I got into serious trouble in Cuba was when a fat German at 4am was trying to arrange sex with a mute Jintera on the corner down from the Hotel Nacional. She wanted 50. He wanted to pay 10. She was in tears. He was holding her forcibly. He ended up on his back in a way he didn't expect.

I always think of Mary Magdalene when I think of prostitutes. The book has already been written on how to treat them.

Well put, Rob. I too would have done something similar, or a lot worse, in that situation. Kudos either way.

And for the record, since we're talking about this story, and not just "general" prostitution, but child prostitution....

Simon's not a minor. I carded him, and received two forms of official, government photo ID. I can vouch for at least that. blush.pnglookaround.gif

And it's not the same anywhere else in the world. Does this (child and "friendship" prostitution) happen in Canada?

Yes (the "friendship kind"). In our fair city is seems. Check out the recent Toronto Life Magazine.

The story is called "The Sweetened Life".

"Tens of thousands of young Toronto women are having sex with rich older men in exchange for gifts, travel and cash. They’re comfortable with their choices—just don’t call them prostitutes. The rules of the new sugar daddy economy By Lauren McKeon" NOTE:The whole article is not available online yet.

Sounds familiar? As for Cuba, I've only been there once so I really can't give a worthy synopsis. I was very much aware of the prostitution of the adult variety going on. We pretty much saw nightly examples in the form of "mangoes and prunes".

If you are this surprised about this, you clearly have never been to China, Taiwan, Vietnam, Thailand, Mexico, Brazil, Hungaria, and the list goes on and on and on.

It's called the oldest profession in the world for a reason.

Yes (the "friendship kind"). In our fair city is seems. Check out the recent Toronto Life Magazine.

The story is called "The Sweetened Life".

"Tens of thousands of young Toronto women are having sex with rich older men in exchange for gifts, travel and cash. They’re comfortable with their choices—just don’t call them prostitutes. The rules of the new sugar daddy economy By Lauren McKeon" NOTE:The whole article is not available online yet.

Don't forget the Sugar Baby / Daddy phenomenon that is coming to the surface in the US. Saw a piece on CNN and CNBC about it.

I've had similar experiences with such when working in Singapore. Personally, its not my thing but I do understand in certain parts of the world its a profession when a local girl can earn up to 10 times working in front of a bar instead of behind it. I dont begrudge them for that. Everyone has to make a living.

it boils down to supplu and demand in the end. If people traveling to the countrys where prostitution is ripe weren't interested in such thing the industry would die out but obviously that is not the case. Its unfortunate that these things happen but on the same token people who choose to work in the sex industry choose to (usually) of their own free will and are providing a service.

My mother raised me to respect women at all times, regardless of their motivations for spending time with you so if I am overseas with someone who brings a working girl to our dinner table I expect that all people whose company I keep show the same respect towards them as if they were married to their companion. The fact that money may change hands in the morning in none of anyones business and I expect people I travel with to share the same views.

Believe me, I know this goes on in other parts of the world. But I strongly disagree with the idea of throwing up our hands and saying "oh well". I think as the privileged outsiders and tourists, it is our duty to not exploit people simply because we can, and our responsibility to discourage our friends from doing it too. No, we can't change the world, but we change ourselves and we, my friends, are the problem.

+1 What are we as a community if our fraternity does not make us better men and women. We laud the pleasures of cigars as something finer. I say thank you for a bold post aimed at raising us, and here particularly with reference to men, from our baser natures to something finer, something approaching true manhood.

There is a propensity in this world to colour things black and white. I try not to judge...

I always think of Mary Magdalene when I think of prostitutes. The book has already been written on how to treat them.

I know jack about about cigars - some things I do know about. It is not a case of either/or. There is both compassion and judgment. The book you quote says "I do not condemn you" which is compassion, and in the same breath "sin no more" as clear a judgement as can be. A 'live and let live' approach just won't do. Things may not be black and white, but they sure as hell are not 50 Shades of Grey.

She was in tears. He was holding her forcibly. He ended up on his back in a way he didn't expect.

Seems to me that you are, despite your claim, "you brother's keeper". I honour you for that. I hope to be as caring as you are if faced with a similar situation.

"Only once in all the years has one person stepped out of line and that person was discarded as a friend let alone a future tour buddy."

Can we please cut Ken some slack?...... and what is a Jintera... horsEMAN? JOCKEY effing caps button.

And while we are dogging Ken... kEN, have you listened to the swell seasons drive all night with Jake Clemons?

A jintero is a Cuban swindler. Tries to take tourists for money by trying to sell them fake cigars, prostitutes (guys or gals), a "special dinner" at an "exclusive restaurant" (while pocketing a share of the upcharge money in cohorts with the restaurant itself), etc.