HTC One - Whoa, dead sexy

I'm an iPhone user since the 3Gs and have been pretty satisfied. With the iPhone5, the OS and home screen have become the weakest part of the eco-system. Heard about the HTC One's best of show performance at the Mobile World Congress and so went to check out a few previews.

I gotta say, the One + JellyBean really, really is tempting me! Unless Apple comes out with a revolutionary advance to their iOS by spring of next year, I think my next phone is going to be an Android handset. That and Google Now.

Anyone else check this unit out?

http://www.gsmarena....-review-902.php

http://androidcommun...-2013-20130301/

http://reviews.cnet.com/htc-one/

Wilkey

I was an iPhone guy until I got sick of iTunes

I switched to the Galaxy S3 and felt like I'd been released from prison. Now its Samsung all the way for me. I'm even upgrading my iPad 1 to a galaxy tab.

I'm not sure why but I've never been too fond of HTC

No reason to it, they just dont do much for me.

I'm keen to see what the new blackberry is like though. My work phone is a blackberry and its CRAP.

My company only uses blackberrys so I'm hoping if they bring out something decent I can upgrade

Hope to get the hand on HTC One as soon as I can.

Im Looking forward what Samsung will show of in New York 14 of Mars.

I have a S3LTE today, but looking for some thing new.

But im works whit mobile phones, so I can try most of the at work.

So the HTC one for hopp will be a good one.

Skickat från min GT-I9305 via Tapatalk 2

Jason,

Ohh, not bad. I've not liked the feel-in-hand of any of the Galaxy's I've played with. Too plasticky. Does the Nexus feel any more solid? I like the HTC One because it has an aluminum chassis. Solid.

Wilkey

Apple products are behind HTC and Samsung already. Break away from the cult and the preception of having superior products and upgrade to this android device.

Hey Michael,

Thanks for responding. I don't know too many cultish iPhone users. We're all office/lab folks and we're pretty critical of the technology and its utility. The walled garden has its benefits, and I suppose you could argue it comes down to perceptions, but the fact of the matter is that there are many good applications and I can get my work and social done with a minimum of fuss.

Wilkey

Jason,

Ohh, not bad. I've not liked the feel-in-hand of any of the Galaxy's I've played with. Too plasticky. Does the Nexus feel any more solid? I like the HTC One because it has an aluminum chassis. Solid.

Wilkey

You won't find the same plasticky feel that you've found in previous Samsung versions. LG's design department did an outstanding job with the overall look and feel of this device. Checking out the picture I posted of the back, you'll notice that nice gloss. Well that gloss is due to the back being glass. The glass back really adds a touch of class.

Jason

Every samsun galaxy for me has felt awful the hand, too light and made of paper thin cheap plastic.

I mentioned in another thread i sell mobile phones for a living and im very impressed with the htc one, looks gorgeous in black...

But leading the pack at the minute is the sony xperia z. Just epic.

Hey Wilkey. I would love to see ya ditch that itoy and get an android phone. Some great phones out there. You really can't go wrong with many of them but like most people I have my preferences. Samsung does make pretty decent phones even if they are a bit plastic filled. The screens are vibrant and the skin isn't too bad.

Motorola has been making decent android phones but should knock it out of the park with their next one dubbed "project X". It'll be the first phone that Google directed Motorola in making since Google bought Moto. Supposed to be a game changed.

Jason,

Wilkey

For me HTC and LG just haven't been keeping up with other competitors as far as quality. But the Nexus 4 is a pretty darn good phone. My complaint with it is they didn't put a LTE chip in there and they only work on ATT and Tmo. They didn't build one with a radio that works on Spring and Verizon. Also the glass back is nice but if you do own one you HAVE to put a SOLID case on it. The glass is notorious for cracking. Many guys have had it in their pocket and it keeps the phone warm then when you go to set it on the counter from your pocket its a warm glass surface going onto a cold counter top...that equals CRACK. I've seen it a ton on the Droid forums I frequent. They do make nice clear back acrylic cases for the phone that offer some protection.

In any event I would still take any Android phone over any iphone. Apple just hasn't been keeping up with their inovation and are falling behind. And I'm not bashing them. I would MUCH prefer apple be a strong competitor as that helps drive innovation and we ALL win. With a weaker Apple, Google will dominate phones and I fear we suffer as a consumer.

Z

Gents,

Thanks for the info. I like to consider myself pretty rational and low on the fanboi scale, but as all indications suggest, the Android OS and devices are finally, to my mind, in consideration. Keep in mind that I'm not really a mad tinkerer, rooter, jailbreaker, etc. I need a tool that just works and delivers functionality I require. Thus, the customizability of Android really has not been a particularly strong persuader. But I do think the time has come.

I don't know why, but just don't think I can bring myself to buy a Sony phone. Maybe it's because the rest of the company is in such crisis.

Would love to see a strong Moto contender. My first Moto phone was the MicroTAC. Anyone remember that darling gray plastic unit? Extra gorgeous with the whaleback extended battery in place. AT&T would be fine for me. My company has a corporate account with AT&T and I'm reasonably happy with their coverage.

Glass back? Like the iPhone 4/4s? not Gorilla glass I presume with all that cracking.

Wilkey

Gents,

Thanks for the info. I like to consider myself pretty rational and low on the fanboi scale, but as all indications suggest, the Android OS and devices are finally, to my mind, in consideration. Keep in mind that I'm not really a mad tinkerer, rooter, jailbreaker, etc. I need a tool that just works and delivers functionality I require. Thus, the customizability of Android really has not been a particularly strong persuader. But I do think the time has come.

I don't know why, but just don't think I can bring myself to buy a Sony phone. Maybe it's because the rest of the company is in such crisis.

Would love to see a strong Moto contender. My first Moto phone was the MicroTAC. Anyone remember that darling gray plastic unit? Extra gorgeous with the whaleback extended battery in place. AT&T would be fine for me. My company has a corporate account with AT&T and I'm reasonably happy with their coverage.

Glass back? Like the iPhone 4/4s? not Gorilla glass I presume with all that cracking.

Wilkey

Ive got the Motorola Droid Razr HD MAXX.

Hardware specs compared to most of whats out there when it was released it was kinda meh... except for the battery.

But, I charge it every two days normally unless im off wi-fi for most of the day.

I bought it for the battery. Performance feels fine to me, far faster than my old Droid X.

Phone feels solid, the backplate feels great, and ive dropped it a number of times from ~4 feet and it doesnt have a scratch.

Cheers for the heads up Wilkey.

making my break from the 4GS in the coming months but just have not found anything I am 100% comfortable with. So close to purchasing a Samsung III but a tad too large fro my delicate hands lol3.gif

The original Google Nexus phone I got last year was amazing. I still prefer it to the other Samsung SIII and iPhones. The amount of flexibility in that phone is amazing.

I have heard the S4 is going to be outrageous though.

Concept for the flexible amoled's make me really excited.

samsung+flexible+amoled+display.PNG

samsung-galaxy-skin-1.jpg

Cheers for the heads up Wilkey.

making my break from the 4GS in the coming months but just have not found anything I am 100% comfortable with. So close to purchasing a Samsung III but a tad too large fro my delicate hands lol3.gif

My pleasure. It certainly looks like an embarrassment of riches in the Android world this season. I don't care for the 5" as well. Thus the Nexus and HTC One might just work at 4.7.

Wilkey

Really like the new Blackberry 10 as well. We're giving them a trial run now but it looks like this we might be switching all our company phones to this model. The latest BB bold was a disgrace, so I guess it's all or nothing now for BB.

I have been using the HTC One S since October ... so far I don't have anything bad to say about it. I like it better then my friend's iPhones hands down. HTC and Samsung seem to be the way to go. I still think RIM is dead.

I had a first gen iPhone for many years then a couple years ago I got a Samsung S2. I thought about getting a Nexus 4 but never seem to be in stock. I'll be keeping a close eye on the new Samsung S4 in a couple of weeks... At work we use BB's and I'll be getting my Z10 is a week or so once they install the new BES. Back Berry is dead, I think they will be a solid number 3.

There is an LTE chip in the Nexus 4. It's just not enabled smile.png

Well you are sorta correct. It has a band 4 LTE radio which could've been hacked to use in Canada, but one of the Google updates patched that so it no longer works in Canada I believe. But it never worked in the US since Verizon uses band 17 LTE and ATT uses band 7 LTE.

So I would still argue that it doesn't have LTE. innocent.gif

I just can't bring myself to go Blackberry. They have the stink of the walking dead about them. Am I wrong?

Wilkey

And you are not wrong. Although the 10 is a good little BB phone, it just isn't what they once were. I abandoned my BB for android back when the first OG droid came out and I have never looked back. One good BB offering isn't enough to bring me back. It'll take a long trend for me to even consider it. But I do hope that BB works out and sticks around...like I said earlier the more competition the better!