Mules, we love them but...

All of us CC lovers have had bad surprises with mules going to Cuba. You give them your money and the most detailed list possible with 3 to 5 choices per box but they still manage to bring you something that wasn't on your list... What's the worst surprise that happened to you with a beloved mule...On my side, it involves money that was supposed to be spend on Sig VI and I ended up getting Monte4... Could have been worst but still, not really the same king of range!

My wife's family headed to Holgujn last summer and I decided to take a chance on asking them to grab me a box of BRC's. After a quick look on the interwebs I retracted my request as it appeared the only "legit" shop was downtown tucked away and I didn't want to inconvenience them with trying to locate the place. Also, was scared they might be offered a deal and purchase fakes.

A week later they arrived with a box of Boli no. 1 tubos that are nowhere near smokable yet. Thankfully they checked out. Got final peace of mind from Strada's advice to cut one open and thankfully was filled with long filler.

My mules are very well trained. I tell them if they cannot find the simple stuff I want, then just to bring me back my money instead of forcing something that is not there. I also don't trust just anybody going to Cuba to be a mule for me. I have to trust them not only with large amounts of money, but also to listen, understand and respect my wishes. Never had a problem yet.

How many mules do you have? I personnaly have 3 steady ones...

i've never been so fortunate, leave that up to my "source" tobacconist who always manages to grab some choice boxes.... one time, years ago when my father was working in military intelligence and had a friend who was russian military and bragged about getting all sorts of cubans direct from the communists of the island, I asked him if he could possibly get a box for me.... he returned with a box of flor de cano machine made petit coronas, tragic smokes those....

Trying out a mule, who will be going back for 2 months. Hopefully my Monte 520 will be correct. Told her to get only from the Partagas factory shop, near her grandmother's house. Also told both the husband and wife about buying specifically from the shop, with the official receipt to be issued and brought back.

Fingers crossed

I was expecting some RE's from France last month, was excited when I got the call they were back -

they handed me two Davidoff Magnificos and a Monti #5. Did well hiding my grief.

Smoked one of the Magnificos, had to toss it out halfway, very bad. pod.gif

Had a friend go to Nicaragua years ago, and when he got back he told that he brought me a box of Cohibas. When I went to pick them up is was the famous GLASS TOP. Oh well, he tried.

It really is hard to train a mule and I have decided to stick to accepting offers from a BOTL or SOTL who is going to Cuba. I do have a friend who is relentless. The first thing he brought back was a Cohiba Esplendido Tubo. The glass top boxes from mexico. I finally told him my humidor was full. Today a package arrived from Florida. He had flown there from Heathrow and I made the mistake of hoping that he had scored big time, or at all. It reminds me of a joke.

Lena and Ole had their 6th child. It was really ugly after 5 lovely children. Ole asked Lena if maybe someone else was the father. Lena said, "I am sorry, Ole. Not this time..."

post-9032-0-22346300-1362098277_thumb.jp

post-9032-0-49155800-1362098296_thumb.jp

If people are insistent on bringing me something back I just tell them- Dont buy off the street and dont buy anything in a glass top box

I figure the chances of them getting ripped off are slightly reduced that way

I'm actually quite fortunate here.. I was always into cigars.. only ever purchased singles.. oneday my parents went on a fairly large road trip incorperating a family reunion I couldn't attend. I mentioned the place i bought my singles from now was in Brisbane as they were going through and they said they'd like a look and I mentioned it to Rob also.. Who said very graciously he'd like to meet them.

My first and last mule with my first ever box of cigars then became my own Dad as a surprise early christmas present, With a 10 box of Partagas C D4s..