partagas -flamencos-

cliff

yep, you've read it correctly... "flamencos"

this box was once (not by me) bought in a store in Brussels and were 40fr (about a dollar) per piece, so I'm quite sure that this is a genuine box.

however...

I haven't got any idea how to find more info about them,

I've looked on trevor's site, I've looked in the MRN... nothing lookaround.gif

now I do hope somebody knows more?

(thanks in advance guys.)

dsc0111e.jpg

dsc0112mq.jpg

dsc0113ep.jpg

dsc0114cww.jpg

dsc0115wk.jpg

dsc0116cs.jpg

dsc0117op.jpg

to be honnest, I've got cuban cigars from the '30 's and '40 's that aren't on his site, before the revolution there were almost 1000 brands.

and in the still existing brands I've got a partbox of la gloria cubana naturales. (<1961)

If its not on Trevors Site, i would fear the worst....

Not so, sorry. Here is an extract from my Partagas page: See the red highlight.

Brand Notes

Status

Partagas is a current pre-revolution brand, established circa 1827.

The current Partagas factory was constructed in 1845, and this is the year that the Aniversario humidors date from.

Generally

The range comprises full strength cigars, using tobacco from the premium Vuelta Abajo region.

There is a non-Cuban brand with the same name.

Standard Production Cigars

Until mid to late 1970s, all cigars were pre-1960 releases. Since then there have been further releases.

This listing does not include the many (possibility in excess of 100) cigars discontinued before the 1970s.

Special packaging of standard production cigars was available pre-1960 until the 1970s.

Special Release Cigars

Special Releases commenced in 1995 with the release of the 150 Aniversario Humidor.

Since then there have been numerous releases.

Bands

Partagás bands have remained fairly consistent over the years.

The Series bands were originally used between the 1930s and the 1960s, and then reintroduced from 1975 on.

http://www.cubanciga...brand=Partag|as

The price bands look legit and I hardly think these would be faked. Also the box obviously looks like it has some age to it...I don't think counterfeiters are that clever or stupid to fake old cigars like that.

to be honnest, I've gotCubann cigars from the '30 's and '40 's that aren't on his site, before the revolution there were almost 1000 brands.

and in the still existing brands I've got a partbox of la gloria cubana naturales. (<1961)

The website covers brands from February 1962, when Cubatabaco took control of the Cuban cigar industry. At that stage, only 25 brands remained. Some old brands were subsequently reinstated, new brands added, and some brands deleted.....giving the current 27 "official" brands. During the 1960s hundreds of cigars were deleted from those Brand's product range.

Pretty sure OP already stated he believes them to be real. He wants more info about them.

Never heard of them bro, pretty cool though. I wonder if they taste like anything other than air now. Will you smoke any or are they collectibles?

I don't know really, first of all I would like to know more about the box...

@Trevor, you are the reference man! king.gif

when it's not on your site people start to doubt haha

@Canadian beaver, those bands of you are from the Netherlands, mine are Belgian,

in fact there is only one importer for the BENELUX but there are different bands... and prices, Belgium is more expensive due to a difference in taxes.

(a few cents only but hey...)

Well said Trevor.

I wouldn't be in the least concerned about the authenticity of those cigars.

They look like machine-mades from the 60s.

I've seen dozens of post-revolution vitolas that didn't make it into the original Min Ron Nee book or Trevor's website.

Not to demean in any way the work that went (and goes) into either of those works, both fantastic resources.

But there were hundreds of vitolas still produced for 10 years or so after the revolution, hand and machine made, that rarely see the light of day now.

Many of which were probably for local markets only, or even single retailers.

Many of the older retailers had direct relationships with the Cubans that continued after the revolution. In some cases, all the way up to the late 80s early 90s.

Also, different markets probably got the same machine made cigars, different names.

thanks for the comment Ryan, very usefull info.

in fact... Belgium is devided in different 'states', were I live is called "flanders" and flamencos is (I presume) spanish for flanders.

so it could be very much correct what you're saying.

a rare box.

thanks for the comment Ryan, very usefull info.

in fact... Belgium is devided in different 'states', were I live is called "flanders" and flamencos is (I presume) spanish for flanders.

so it could be very much correct what you're saying.

a rare box.

Don't know about that to be honest, I can't tell you.

"Flamenco" is the name of the song and dance form from southern Spain.

Flanders was once part of the Spanish empire but I would doubt if the Belgians would have been celebrating that with the name of a cigar 50 years or so ago.

Really, it's often the case that the only people who knew where the names came from died years ago.

There is a post revolution romeo called the Romeo y Julieta "Giralda No. 4", a handmade robusto size. I've only ever seen one box.

The "Giralda" is the name of a tower in Seville.

I suppose a lot of cigar names had spanish (i.e. from Spain) origins.

A lot of cigar makers in Cuba would have had close Spanish connections, not to mention the traditional popularity of Cuban cigars in Spain.

Here's a question, how long has LCDH been selling cigars? Did they design the price bands based on a heritage shown in the OP's packaging? So interesting!

The price band is designed by the belgian state. LCDH is just a franchise, something that an existing shop can request and obtains (if approved) against payment; there's nothing like an "heritage" about it.