Cigars losing there smell

When i open my coolers i am greeted with the most heavenly smells of tobbacco. I get that fresh tobbacco smell very pungent, intoxicating if you will...

Are they losing their smell, or is the (presumably low) temperature of the fridge masking them?

I think this is the case, my cigars always smell better when it is in my desktop humidor when the temp is approx 20c when almost mute at 17c in the wineador.

1+

I have had this same experience where I open my humidor and... nothing -

I am not greeted with the same sensation Ralph Lauren must get when he goes into his barn.

But then, a few days later, after worrying about it a bit, the wonderful scent is back.

I have come to the conclusion that there may be a few factors at work here -

1) the temp and humidity of the humidor plays a factor

2) the ambient room conditions play a factor

3) sometimes YOU are a big component when your nose is just on sabatical

and you didnt realize it

( you are about to get a cold, open some soup )

Put all three of these together and holy crap, where did my cigars go!

So I wouldnt worry about it, the smell will be back, I promise.

Check back with us in a month and let us know.

What are you using for a humidifier?

I'm using an old sea chest but I'm thinking I may need to change.. Feels allot like using a box made of swiss cheese.

I'm just throwing this out there. Usually when my cigars come in from shipping they're pretty over humidified, they smell great. After they settle down, the musk kinda goes away. I store my cigars at high 50'sRH and mid 60'sF temp. They remain oily, tasteful, enjoyable, but I admit there's not the level of musk as when I got the box brand new.

I'm just throwing this out there. Usually when my cigars come in from shipping they're pretty over humidified, they smell great. After they settle down, the musk kinda goes away. I store my cigars at high 50'sRH and mid 60'sF temp. They remain oily, tasteful, enjoyable, but I admit there's not the level of musk as when I got the box brand new.

I've noticed the same. I got a box of Upmann HCs from Rob that arrived with an incredibly intense aroma. After a week in my wineador the aroma was nothing compared to what it was. I put it down to temperature more than anything else, but humidity must be a factor too. The cigars are still smoking beautifully by the way.

Pat,

in your original post you stated your temp & humidity, absolutely nothing wrong with either..

at this temperature in farenheit, a few degrees either way will make no difference to the aroma, none, nada, zilch, nowt....

If your maintaining the humidity that you stated or a few degrees either way. that will have no effect on the aroma....none, nada, zilch, nowt...

The only thing that will change in your set up is the ratio between the surrounding air & the phenols given off by the cigars.

Less air movement/exchange = better smelling cigars...

Pack them in tight as possible with as little air as possible & invest in a desktop humidor for your daily smokes.

I think this is the case, my cigars always smell better when it is in my desktop humidor when the temp is approx 20c when almost mute at 17c in the wineador.

1+

Pat the op said he was keeping his wineador at 66c...which at 18.89c, is nearly your desktop humi temp..look at the amount of air in both & understand the aroma from your cigars will absorb into the cedar of your humi...mine smell fantastic when empty.....

Pat,

in your original post you stated your temp & humidity, absolutely nothing wrong with either..

at this temperature in farenheit, a few degrees either way will make no difference to the aroma, none, nada, zilch, nowt....

If your maintaining the humidity that you stated or a few degrees either way. that will have no effect on the aroma....none, nada, zilch, nowt...

The only thing that will change in your set up is the ratio between the surrounding air & the phenols given off by the cigars.

Less air movement/exchange = better smelling cigars...

Pack them in tight as possible with as little air as possible & invest in a desktop humidor for your daily smokes.

If that's the case, is Pat experiencing a loss of smell from his cigars, or is the smell just more diluted in the air around them?

If that's the case, is Pat experiencing a loss of smell from his cigars, or is the smell just more diluted in the air around them?

I personally think it's the dilution..the frequency he opens his humidor could be a great deal to do with it.......it's the old " can't keep my hands off" problem..love.gif

I personally think it's the dilution..the frequency he opens his humidor could be a great deal to do with it.......it's the old " can't keep my hands off" problem..love.gif

thats correct

He means to fill a desktop with enough cigars to last you a couple months so that you will stop opening your larger humidor on a daily basis.

I have a desktop with about 100 daily smokes. However I still get the extreme urge to open the wine cooler. However after listening to some of these posts and talking to others I have realized that i need to refrain from constantly open the fridge.

Reading all is I find wi my experience all of he above advice is subjective to each man here. I have a small cabinet humidor with 17 or so boxes and a big tupper style container with another 12 boxes. I live in Toronto as well with patc were good buddies. My cab humidor is 64-66 rh and temp is higher 60's. my tupper humidor is same temp but rh is 69 or so. The humidity and temp has no effect on the smell of my cigars. I open both of them frequently and both ooze of greatness and all my boxes are closed. I do have a desktop wi singles in it but that's because I use it to "dry box" or condition them to proper smoking rh to my taste which is 60-64 rh. Point being even though I have the desktop I still like to open my big humidor a take A sniff maybe adjust my hydra in the one cab or just inspect a couple of my aging boxes to see how they're coming along etc. pat don't forget your around cars all day lol. The gas fumes or chemicals might have fried your smell for a day or two lol. Also to note my tupper seal isn't really that good but just two sacs of beads which I wet maybe once every 2-3 months at most. Ad still rock steady and still stinks of greatness. And for anyone who's guna say yeah but are your hygrometers accurate? F@$& yes I have boveda 75 percent humidity packs on hand to calibrate every time I refuel beads and or hydra. Lol. Cheers.

Reading all is I find wi my experience all of he above advice is subjective to each man here. I have a small cabinet humidor with 17 or so boxes and a big tupper style container with another 12 boxes. I live in Toronto as well with patc were good buddies. My cab humidor is 64-66 rh and temp is higher 60's. my tupper humidor is same temp but rh is 69 or so. The humidity and temp has no effect on the smell of my cigars. I open both of them frequently and both ooze of greatness and all my boxes are closed. I do have a desktop wi singles in it but that's because I use it to "dry box" or condition them to proper smoking rh to my taste which is 60-64 rh. Point being even though I have the desktop I still like to open my big humidor a take A sniff maybe adjust my hydra in the one cab or just inspect a couple of my aging boxes to see how they're coming along etc. pat don't forget your around cars all day lol. The gas fumes or chemicals might have fried your smell for a day or two lol. Also to note my tupper seal isn't really that good but just two sacs of beads which I wet maybe once every 2-3 months at most. Ad still rock steady and still stinks of greatness. And for anyone who's guna say yeah but are your hygrometers accurate? F@$& yes I have boveda 75 percent humidity packs on hand to calibrate every time I refuel beads and or hydra. Lol. Cheers.

Never thought about this. Well done sir,well done. This is a win.

Never thought about this. Well done sir,well done. This is a win.

Blimey..now's the time to tell us you sniff petrol all day....

and as for Themistoklis..Small cab humi ,17 boxes..no volume of air...

tupperdor..12 boxes..no volume of air..

just presumptions, but you know best!

• 4 years later...