Suggestions for Aging time on Bolivar Royal Coronas

Being new to the world of CCs, I thought I'd draw on the brain trust here for suggestions on the amount of time a box of bolivar royal coronas should be allowed to sit. My box, MUR JUN 12, still has that lingering ammonia smell, which in my experience passes around the 9 month to 1 year mark (depending on storage conditions), but my sense is that the cigars won't really shine until much later. I'm after that a complexity of flavor in each puff and the distinct flavor changes that good CCs offer but are so hard to find in NCs.

At what point might a BRC begin to show these characteristics? Obviously, there are wide variations between boxes, but any thoughts are appreciated.

I am currently finishing 08 and 10 boxes. Both excellent, the 10 slightly more so.

I have tried some of the 11s and they were surprisingly good already.

The 12s I have look and smell wonderful- hopefully the ammonia you're smelling will disappear sooner rather than later. I have yet to try one however.

Seems like recent stock is more approachable young. Try one, see how you like it.

Seems like recent stock is more approachable young.

I found the same with Bolivar CJ and other Partagas related cigars, notably Allones...

You know, this is a tough one. I've really enjoyed the very fresh '12 ones this year after letting them air out for a week or two. A couple years of sitting do calm them down a bit, and you get more of that citrus. Several years more refines it and the cigar starts to come into its own. I've smoked two from the '96 box that a friend had, and wow, if these '12s turn out anything like that, I'm going to be pumped once I retire.

I found the same with Bolivar CJ and other Partagas related cigars, notably Allones...

Not to derail too badly, but the 2012 898 that I smoked last week was phenomenal. Young? Yes, for sure, but serious potential. Will give my 08 box a run for its money.

If you smell ammonia let them rest for at least a few months until it blows off. The last thing you want to smoke is a cigar that will taste like cat urine. Having said that BRC is in my top 3 of all Cuban cigars and have always smoked really well young. The more recent production (2010-2012) have had dark wrappers and should be good to go within 6 months of their box date. The Tubos have been ESPECIALLY good IMO. Enjoy!!!

Do yourself a favor and ditch the idea particular cigars require x amount years of age before they really shine and just hope you got a good box cigar.gif

If you're new, best bit of advice is just start smoking every cigar you buy. It will take years, decades, if even ever, for ones taste to understand the developed difference in nuances 5, 6, 7, 10 years of age do to a cuban cigar. Heck, hard enough to acknowledge base flavors sometimes. Smoke your box of BRC, like it? If not, try something else. If you get a few bad smokes I wouldn't hide them away for a couple years, just keep pushing thru the box. You'll find good cigars in the box soon enough. Hasn't failed me yet, unless you really do get a poopy box and no age is going to fix that. I have two TEB '08 cabs of BPC, they were damn good when I got them, and still damn good today. Only reason I still have some is I buy more than I consume. Actually, I buy more than I can store LOL but that's another story. Has the flavor changed some, yeah, I guess but its still just a BPC.

But, to each their own, everyones gotta do things their own way. I really don't think about age when picking out a cigar for the day, more just what do I have a taste for. Today I have 2 Siglo II loaded up, from what year or month? No clue, got the box a couple years ago I think. It's a Siglo II and should smoke like one (if I'm lucky). Sort of the theme in another topic... I wouldn't over think it peace.gif

Do yourself a favor and ditch the idea particular cigars require x amount years of age before they really shine and just hope you got a good box cigar.gif

If you're new, best bit of advice is just start smoking every cigar you buy. It will take years, decades, if even ever, for ones taste to understand the developed difference in nuances 5, 6, 7, 10 years of age do to a cuban cigar. Heck, hard enough to acknowledge base flavors sometimes. Smoke your box of BRC, like it? If not, try something else. If you get a few bad smokes I wouldn't hide them away for a couple years, just keep pushing thru the box. You'll find good cigars in the box soon enough. Hasn't failed me yet, unless you really do get a poopy box and no age is going to fix that. I have two TEB '08 cabs of BPC, they were damn good when I got them, and still damn good today. Only reason I still have some is I buy more than I consume. Actually, I buy more than I can store LOL but that's another story. Has the flavor changed some, yeah, I guess but its still just a BPC.

But, to each their own, everyones gotta do things their own way. I really don't think about age when picking out a cigar for the day, more just what do I have a taste for. Today I have 2 Siglo II loaded up, from what year or month? No clue, got the box a couple years ago I think. It's a Siglo II and should smoke like one (if I'm lucky). Sort of the theme in another topic... I wouldn't over think it peace.gif

I like your approach. I've neither the patience nor the storage capacity (at the moment) to let cc's age. I'm trying , though. I'm really trying. But I don't like it. sad.png