dress box vs. cab

Taking into consideration the the interior of your humidor is cedar, I really don't allow myself to get all that opinionated on what kind of packaging my cigars come in or how flavors result from the packaging, because they're all stored in a big cedar box. I honestly can't believe anyone would ever be able to blindly identify a cigar as one from a dress box or cab based only on flavor.

However, if one likes press boxed or round cigars, that is a real result of packaging.

It's presentation. wheels can be put in mazo format, ie customs in Saran wrap, or in a cabinet/cajon presentation format, in 50s or 100s. Very popular back in the 70-80s until scaled down. Here is a Cohiba 100c from CCW:

images%5CCohiba_Diplomatic_Cohiba_packaging_orig_1.jpg

Back in these times, the boxes were made of solid cedar, and made a big difference on the hygroscopy. The dress boxes now, made with bleached plywood, and with all its water resistant surface, etc, keep differently and taste noticeably different to me.

My head hurts from all this information! My 2013 wish list consists of cabs and boxes so I couldn't care less. If you got 'em, smoke 'em!

Tapatalk'd from my Note II part Tres

The Especiale never came in a cajon of 100. There were supposedly an aluminium pack of 100, but to my knowledge nobody has seen it.

Didn't Amir find one several months back? May have been silver or metal, I can't recall.

Was told that's how people used to buy, as with humidor style, then read in Zino's book that as humidification came into play, there was really no reason for cigars to be purchased in bulk by customers, when the shops could sell singles out the door - thus scaling down the cajon presentation. I'd love to hear from your own experience, since I wasn't alive back then :D

That is my understanding as well. Was informed that these were reserved for either gifts or special ordered/custom made.

There is an interesting story in the MRN book on how he acquired one and suspects that it was a cajon that Fidel had and then gave it up when he gave up cigar smoking.

I also heard that cojons were Fidel's favorite format and used it to store his personal cigars for consumption as well as for gifts. Can't confirm it though. Might be a legend story.

Would love to have one made. HHHmmmmmm.....

What would you guys do if Habanos decided to stop using cabs and ALL cigars were packaged in dress boxes? Quit cigars? To me it is all a personal preference thing and I happen to like square pressed robustos. I think one format tasting better than the other is pure myth and is psychological.

I used to care, but don't anymore. I like to look at cab bundles of cigars, and completely round cigars... but it doesn't really mean anything. They smoke the same, despite the packaging. My boxes sit in plastics coolers, not big airy, walk-in humidors.... or wind tunnels. Therefore, all of the boxes age similarly. A cab in my coolers is not going to experience more air exchange than a dress box. I stick to smoking cigars these days... not obsessing about unproven theories about aging techniques.