Need of recommendations for a good restaurant in Toronto

My dear friends,

As my wife will be celebrating her 40th birthday in a few weeks time, I am on the look out for a 'good' restaurant in Toronto. Since the births of our two children we have been out very seldom and therefore my knowledge of the culinary delights of our city is hopelessly out of date. Now, you need to take into consideration that my wife is a remarkable cook herself and thus does not enjoy fusion or fancy cooking. In a word she is a staunch traditionalist as far as cooking is concerned. That said, all ethnic food is fine by her as long as they stay close to their traditional roots. I need also to add that we do not have a car and so your suggestion should be reachable by public transports. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Best,

Michel

Michel, there are almost too many good options in Toronto. Does your wife have any particular favourite styles?

A few options off the top of my head (all easily acessible via TTC)...

Cava, Spanish tapas place, Yonge and St. Clair - excellent small plates, great variety, very traditional, superb wine/sherry selection, fairly casual

Splendido, Spadina and Harbord - been a culinary landmark for many years, solid and reliable all the time, also excellent wine selection, pretty fancy/pricey

For something a little more casual and authentic, check out Terroni - here are a couple locations, but I recommend the one on Queen west. Simple southern Italian, excellent pizza, pasta, salads, antipasto, great wines

I could go on...

Ok, let me specify further. I am Swiss and my wife is Belgian. Between the two of us we have spent years enjoying restaurants in France, Belgium, Italy, Spain, Greece and Turkey. We regularly cook Asiatic food ourselves (especially Thai food). Thus, we are hopelessly difficult on quality rolleyes.gif ! That said, as long as you judge the restaurant you have in mind as a good reflection of the cuisine of its origins, we will be fine and will thank you from the bottom of our hearts (a bit hyperbolic here, sorry)!

Hope this help.

Best,

Michel

Here are some:

Canoe. Great setting, 50 stories about King St in the Financial district. Distinctly Canadian dishes on the menu along with standard fare. Expect to find moose, venison, etc.

Il Mulino (Eglinton & Allen Road area). Great Italian food. Cozy atmosphere.

Trattoria Nervosa. Another great Italian place in Yorkville. Not too expensive either. Excellent food and service. Casual atmosphere.

Celestine. (Mt Pleasant & Eglinton). Excellent French cuisine. Very classic decor, reasonably priced. A bit of a hidden gem.

La Societe. Bloor west of Yonge. French dining on a grand scale. Reasonable pricing, very busy atmosphere, but great service. An "experience".

Grazie. Another Italian winner. Yonge/Broadway area. This place offers reasonably priced dishes and wine. The place is always jam packed and lively.

If I think of more I will add them later.

Thanks Blotto (what is your first name by the way?),

We know Cava and Terroni, but not Splendido and I will have a look at it. Thanks!

Michel

Michel, there are almost too many good options in Toronto. Does your wife have any particular favourite styles?

A few options off the top of my head (all easily acessible via TTC)...

Cava, Spanish tapas place, Yonge and St. Clair - excellent small plates, great variety, very traditional, superb wine/sherry selection, fairly casual

Splendido, Spadina and Harbord - been a culinary landmark for many years, solid and reliable all the time, also excellent wine selection, pretty fancy/pricey

For something a little more casual and authentic, check out Terroni - here are a couple locations, but I recommend the one on Queen west. Simple southern Italian, excellent pizza, pasta, salads, antipasto, great wines

I could go on...

Thanks Frank,

We know Canoe (her 38th birthday) and my Chair of Department had invited me several times at La Societe for obvious reasons linked to its closeness to our department. However, I didn't know the others and will investigate.

Best,

Michel

Here are some:

Canoe. Great setting, 50 stories about King St in the Financial district. Distinctly Canadian dishes on the menu along with standard fare. Expect to find moose, venison, etc.

Il Mulino (Eglinton & Allen Road area). Great Italian food. Cozy atmosphere.

Trattoria Nervosa. Another great Italian place in Yorkville. Not too expensive either. Excellent food and service. Casual atmosphere.

Celestine. (Mt Pleasant & Eglinton). Excellent French cuisine. Very classic decor, reasonably priced. A bit of a hidden gem.

La Societe. Bloor west of Yonge. French dining on a grand scale. Reasonable pricing, very busy atmosphere, but great service. An "experience".

Grazie. Another Italian winner. Yonge/Broadway area. This place offers reasonably priced dishes and wine. The place is always jam packed and lively.

If I think of more I will add them later.

Michel,

One of the best Greek restaurants is on the danforth of course, called Pantheon and it is well known within the Greek community as the best, particularly when it comes to sea food. It is also easily accessible by TTC as it is a five min walk from Chester subway station. It has a great selection of Greek wines. My long-term girlfriend is Greek and it is good by her family. You will also eat great food and drink well within budget.

True, I've heard only good things about this one. Thanks for reminding me of that!

Best,

Michel

Lee by Susur Lee.

He was on top chef masters, almost won. Fusion kinda food. The Singaporean Slaw is out of this world. I've never had a bad meal there.

http://www.susur.com/lee/

Lee by Susur Lee.

He was on top chef masters, almost won. Fusion kinda food. The Singaporean Slaw is out of this world. I've never had a bad meal there.

http://www.susur.com/lee/

His slaw is excellant but I am not overly impressed wth his interpretation of other dishes on his menu

Michel, for the best dining experience in the city right now go to Momofuku's Shoto (University between Adelaide and Richmond). It may also be one of the most expensive dinners in the city, however your wife will never forget the meal she experienced on her 40th birthday. I hope your wife has a wonderful birthday and here's some further information if you're interested.

1) http://www.torontolife.com/daily/daily-dish/new-reviews/2012/11/23/review-momofuku-shoto/

2) http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/food-and-wine/restaurant-reviews/momofuku-shoto-yes-its-the-best-restaurant-in-toronto-heres-why/article5397195/

3) http://momofuku.com/toronto/shoto/