An unexpected find in suburban Havana

Guest rob

Are those temperature/humidity controlled? Kidding...Kidding.

Those are beautiful. First thing that came to my head was that their work would fetch quite a deal of money in the western world.

Sadly, I somehow think they are making pittance and perhaps the broker for their work is taking the spoils.

Are those temperature/humidity controlled? Kidding...Kidding.

Those are beautiful. First thing that came to my head was that their work would fetch quite a deal of money in the western world.

Sadly, I somehow think they are making pittance and perhaps the broker for their work is taking the spoils.

What makes you think they are making a "pittance" - any inside info or contact with the "broker" you can share with us ??

From my knowledge I can assure you that his work is paid accordingly and fairly and he is quite proud employing good people and even more of having young people learning the trade and giving them a good chance for their future.

No small feat in Cuban conditions.

Nino,

No hard facts or inside knowledge of my opinion. Just my opinion of how the world works. I doubt that this artist has met Arnold Schwarzenegger personally. I certainly believe that a broker has found this artist to meet the needs of Arnold and that he has included his price for brokering the deal. I hope that this artist has earned every penny for his talent and sweat. Just my experience in the business world.

If my opinion lays in the realm of naivete, I apologize in advance. But truly, I hope this man is paid properly for his brilliance.

I'd suggest hat they must have decent to good money coming in - the shop that they worked in, and the equipment was all very good. It wasn't cutting edge (CNC etc) but unlike everything I saw in in Cuba it certainly was not run down, improvised or old. Having said that... I am certain I have no idea how it all works in Cuba and likely never will...

This is the guy who makes most the Habanos auction humidors. He made the Cohiba humidor last year, along with the antique replica humidors (esp my fav Monte Maravilla #1 yum yum). I think I recall seeing him with Nino in picture from 2010 with that ridiculous electronic Cohiba humidor for the auction.

Enjoyed reading this Rob, thanks for posting (and happy Birthday)!

We're both pushing forty....

Great to read how these craftsmen can create such wonders, in adversity.

Re claimed timber is always the best anyway, it's moved all it's going to move.....except when it's got nails in it!

I love the Cubans who create such things, as when you meet them, they have such a pride and passion for their art.

Although the electrician in me is horrified by the wires hanging out of everywhere.....

Nino,

No hard facts or inside knowledge of my opinion. Just my opinion of how the world works. I doubt that this artist has met Arnold Schwarzenegger personally. I certainly believe that a broker has found this artist to meet the needs of Arnold and that he has included his price for brokering the deal. I hope that this artist has earned every penny for his talent and sweat. Just my experience in the business world.

If my opinion lays in the realm of naivete, I apologize in advance. But truly, I hope this man is paid properly for his brilliance.

Well, I'd say : Exactly, that's how the world works - and Cuba is part of the world so good or bad practices would apply there as well.

Jose Ernesto has had a Cuban manager ever since I know him and he trusts the guy in the commercial sense, so he should be OK.

From my experience there's no people more savvy and streetwise in the financial and commercial sense than Cubans - they've learned the hard way to make sure they earn a living and protect their income.

I don't think that it is relevant from the commercial point of view whether he has met Arnold personally - the deal would have been managed anyway, just like all the sales and the auction bids.

Enjoyed reading this Rob, thanks for posting (and happy Birthday)!

We're both pushing forty....

Great to read how these craftsmen can create such wonders, in adversity.

Re claimed timber is always the best anyway, it's moved all it's going to move.....except when it's got nails in it!

I love the Cubans who create such things, as when you meet them, they have such a pride and passion for their art.

Although the electrician in me is horrified by the wires hanging out of everywhere.....

X2