Lodging in Havana

I'm curious to know what your top three lodging choices are in Havana.

The only hotel experience I have in Havana was the Habana Libre. It was not by choice, as I was on a group trip, and the lodging and itinerary were out of my control.

I was told before going to dumb down my expectations, and I did, so the dirty carpet, sorry plumbing, and hot twenty minute waits for a hot, packed, ten minute elevator ride didn't bother me. I was luckly enough to have a room with a/c, but many in our group didn't, and the entire hotel was without hot water for the better part of two days. We just rolled with the punches and enjoyed the trip.

On the bright side, the LCDH in the hotel was primo.

If I ever get a chance to go back, I would like to know what other better choices there are.

I prefer Casa's.

OK I prefer luxury Casas when in a group. Shortly Toby Brocklehurst will have a Cuba Travel section on the forum in order that you can find what suits you be it hotel/casa etal.

To be honest I have never had a bad time at the Nacional when by myself. I still prefer Casa's. "proof in the pudding" is that mates generally find themselves from hotels to my place (Casa).

Simply: the privacy, the connection to locals, the ability to purchase beer/wine/rum at cheap prices, the ability to arrange a lunch/dinner...no brainer.

i'm a fan of casas. depending on budget and goals, you can get anything from a room in Centro up to a palatial miramar residence a la Rob style. as Rob, noted, the interaction with locals and flexibility are what make it advantageous in my opinion.

2 words, Casa Particular. What Tony said above...

I stayed at 3 different Casa's a couple weeks ago because I wanted to interact with locals, get good homemade cooking for breakfast and the added benefit of it all is that I saved a ton of money. I paid $25-$30 a night and still hung out at the Nacional with the boys, Rob's luxurious Casa and meeting people at Parque Central.

For any traveler that wants to see more of the real life, Casa's are a great option.

Try both. There are so many variables versus personal preferences. We stayed at the Telegrafo hotel which was "ok". Enjoyed several casas where there were some interesting characters in charge , and more food than we could ever eat!

I've never been. Yet. My wife and bother in law have been hundreds of times over the last 10-15 years. They almost always stay at casa's and have made a few lifelong friends in the process.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=20.631728,-87.070649

Three words : Casa.Particular. Only.

Used to stay at the Nacional, the Melia Habana and the Comodoro bungalows - that's where they kicked Jose out of my bungalow and wouldn't let him have a cigar and a drink with us at my place for being Cuban - never again.

Having only been to Havana 3 times and 2 of those stays were in the Nacional and 1 in a Casa I'd probably have to go with hotel.

Casa's are great if you want peace and have the use of a nice terrace that you can sit out on, but you need some Spanish as you'll have to tell the taxi driver the address of the Casa or show him their card and there's also the hassle of getting a cab when you want to go somewhere.

I've never had a problem with the Nacional apart from a pair of sunglasses that I forgot to put in the safe. Always hot water for showers, no problem with plumbing (unlike some casas where they have a bin beside the toilet and ask you not to flush the paper but rather place it in the bin), no powercuts, good air-con and the breakfast is OK.

I've stayed in the Nacional, the Parque Central and the Habana Libre, one casa where the owners lived, lovely people and I'd recommend it and 1 private "apartment style" casa.

All good in their own way. The Parque Central, modern, the best rooms and the rooftop swimming pool is great. The Nacional for the ambiance on the terrace at festival time. Great shop in the Habana Libre, huge rooms with a sea view.

The owner-occupied casa I stayed in had really nice hosts, I see them when I go back.

The private apartment suits me best though, nice to have my own kitchen and fridge and see people only when I want to. It's very close to where I normally end up early in the morning, so stumbling home isn't an issue..

Next February my salsa instructor has offered me a bed. He's a really nice guy, says he's a musician too, plays the "rusty trombone", must be something to do with the sea air..